Why do pros get a Fanta at the finish line?

Because it’s got a lot of simple carbs…and, maybe most important, because they like it. If you like gummy bears you might get gummy bears (as Sagan famously did once). If you watch riders usually get a carb drink immediately followed by something to hydrate.

IIRC - I was listening to a podcast from that featured a team chef, she said that they often allow the riders to have a soda after a win. I assume while training these guys skip out on the junky food, such as soda.

Good question to ask would be: is the area behind the finish line a “green zone”

after drinking sports drink for 5h on the bike, the last thing you want to drink is a sports drink :wink:

2 Likes

This thread makes me want a Fanta.

TANGO. :wink:

Would prefer to see them down a beer, but that’s just my opinion.

1 Like

Peter Sagan and Gummybears explained

It’s not always Fanta. Coke is a popular choice as well. But maybe Fanta started offering money to drink there’s.

The pros race for hours and drink plenty of sports drink, gels, etc. The last thing they want to drink is more of the same. And when you are breathing heavy and exhausted, you don’t want to force liquid down. So it’s a different flavor plus the carbonation that makes it more palatable.

Plus they eat pretty healthy most of the time. They probably avoid such bad nutrition most of the time. But at that point they need the quickly absorbed sugar to help them get through the post race obligations of the winner.

It’s not unusual to get a soda at the top of a major climb either, if riding solo or in a break. At least it used to be that way. Coke and a newspaper down the jersey for insulation.

I assumed they get it after the race since it’s carbonated to go down easier but not caffeinated. No sense keeping the heart rate any higher than it needs to be while not racing, right?

Fanta Passion! I’ve only seen it in Tanzania, but is likely available in Europe too. Delicious and made with real sugar there. If I knew that I needed to hit the doping control within an hour, I would go for this for sure.

That happened already, check last years Strade Bianche won by Annemiek van Vleuten. They gave her a Coca Cola Zero at the finish… With how sharp she was looking, a regular one wouldn’t have made a difference unless she likes the taste better haha