Who's over 60 y/o and using TR?

Hello David, Glad to hear you are making improvements. I read a scientific study which showed that masters cyclists that have been training consistently at high level, difficult to improve. I feel there is much room for improving in the 60+ group, in those that have not consistently trained, race at high intensity. My power over the last twenty years has dropped significantly. I feel fortunate to still be able to train hard.

2 Likes

Important part of structured training is recovery so maybe that part would help him the most. Slower times could be an indication of fatigue.

Wait…what? I’m 51, just retired, and am hoping to make some gains. I’ve been training and racing since I was 20. With this time I’ve now got to train…??? I probably was taking full advantage of the 80/20 rule for my fitness over those 30 years so maybe it will be tough sledding.

Hello Joe,

New to forum, sent you reply, not sure if it was the proper way to send, or if you received. In summary, the study I believed referred to the 60 plus group. You still have a long way to go. I was still hammering in my 50s’, started to notice greater decline around 62.

2 Likes

Geezer Group Workout Interest? Bob (OldCrank here) and I are planning to try a group workout this week. i have a recovery week with Pettit on my calendar for Tuesday, April 21, and Beech for Thursday, which should be a better initial workout for this group than doing a group Ramp Test! I know you can post the group workouts on a separate TR calendar, but I thought I post here to see if others want to break up the current shelter-in routine with a group workout. If so, please reply or send me a private message. I’m thinking an afternoon workout, Central time, say between 2 and 4:30 pm, but I’m flexible.

I’m 53 and do the high volume plans in prep for Leadville. No issues.

2 Likes

What ever happened to what Amber was working on back in January?
Did anything come off this thread in the end?

Good question! It also came up on a related thread this week. Something I would love to see expanded upon in the PodCasts

@daryllewis referred us there to @Nate_Pearson’s tantalizing hints on Feb 7, but I haven’t heard anything about it from the TR team since February. Maybe @mcneese.chad knows more.

1 Like

That is all I have seen too.

I am even more rare than all who have answered- I am a 62 year old female. I have been using Trainerroad off and on since 2013. Nothing works as well for getting in shape on the bike! I Have been a runner since high school and a triathlete from around 2001-2013 when I had a bike accident. I did my first ironman in 2008, came from behind on the run and qualified for Hawaii. I qualified again in 2010 and raced in 2011. I used to drive an hour in 2008 and 09 to a computrainer class! I got my own after that and I am still using it! I tore my meniscus pretty badly in January in a trail race and had arthroscopic surgery in March . Right now I am trying to get my FTP back - I dropped 30 points From December and 40 points from 2018! I am following MV Sweet Spot and in 3.5 weeks I have raised it 10 points- still a long way to go!!

A 9 day plan would be great!!!

9 Likes

How would you structure a 9 day training week ,in terms of hard day’s and recovery days? As an older athlete, to put two hard days together then a recovery day is a mini block that is just about tolerable if the hard day’s have different functions. I think 7 days works fine with rest days on Monday and Friday. Hard days are Tuesday , Thursday and Saturday, with endurance rides on Wednesday and Sunday .

Hard, easy, recovery x3 = 9 days

2 Likes

I’d ride 3 days, day off, ride 3 days, 2 days off for 9 day block.

1 Like

What level of work for each of those work “ride” days?

Read joe friels book fast after fifty. It explains the 9 day week.

2 Likes

Sure, I have the book.

I was asking for clarity on the specific post, and curious if it was similar or differed from that resource.

1 Like

Based on what block of the plan I’m in. But I could ride sweet spot or lower 3 days straight. In build or speciality one threshold day of the three, with an aerobic ride and recovery packaged together. But that’s me. I’m weaker in the higher wattage stuff but can ride Sweet spot and lower pretty strong for an old guy. Explain why I’m better on gravel than mountain.

1 Like

I’m currently trying 2 days riding, 1 day off. Early days but you’re example looks interesting and I think it’s something I might try. I am finding the 9 day timetable preferable to the 7.

2 Likes

Quick newbie question for @Ald1 or anyone else: what metric do you use for measuring fitness? Is there something built into TR other than FTP, or do you just go by how you feel?

I base ‘fitness’ on a combination of 3 things. A good solid CTL (70-75 currently but I want to get it to 80), a growing FTP - doesnt matter how slowly but I keep aiming for improvements and keeping weight steady. The first two are going well currently but the lockdown is affecting my weight a little. No walking up and down stairs at work etc.

1 Like