Just curious who prefers riding/working out indoors to outside rides. I realised (looking back at data of recent years) that I rode more km indoors than outdoors. Why?
- I do not race nor do I have any buddies on bikes, so outside is mostly also alone
- time is crunched through job/family/obligations
- weather implications
- security implications (traffic, crashes etc)
- after loads of healthwise issues in the last year and as a Type 1 diabetic I can be sure that if anything goes wrong with my insuline calculations I can just get of the rollers and be still at home and not somewhere in the wild
- but mostly the advantage of more focused, spot on and predictable TR sessions on a Kickr (earlier) and now Rollers compared to riding outside
Dont get me wrong: i like riding outside, but I really enjoy riding indoors and dont see it as transition period necessary during winter.
Usually I am listening to podcasts or am watching some sports on my Ipad during less intense sessions.
I also enjoy that I can combine my hunt for the workouts with family life. After the kids are in bed my wife is also happy to have some time for herself, so do I. This is the time where I can disappear into my pain cave and suffer.
After that we are happy to share some time.
Btw: switching from the Kickr to a set of rollers contributed a lot to the “indoor is fun” notion. It is fun for sure.
True, the occasional ride on weekends is great, but only when I know that there is no additional stress for my family when I would disappear for couple of hours.
Whats your take on this?