Where did you workout (ride, run, etc) OUTSIDE today? (2023)

Heat wave! Averaged 32*F(0C) today. Dry roads were nice. The fog(seems to be a theme this January) makes for some ‘interesting’ scenery. Snow and cold temps in the forecast might have made this the last outside ride of January 2023

4 Likes

Looking good outside, and that was me on Strava.

2 Likes

Pacing a 20-30 min TT, not all-out:

had to wait briefly for the left turn onto a county highway, and closer to the end at a 4-way stop.

But it worked out okay:

:tada:

First ride with the new helmet:

Thank you Coach Isaiah! :clinking_glasses:

12 Likes

La Quinta loop:

Flat tire from a tiny wire…. This is why I run tubeless on my bike

San Jacinto Mountain over Palm Springs

Find the cell tower!

8 Likes

I missed the opening title (“Spinning around…”) and didn’t pay attention to the map as I went to the pictures and thought: that looks a lot like Palm Desert, and not just because of the sidewalk. Enjoy!

2 Likes

need tubeless!!! Otherwise the KHS Elite 900 four day rental is a great deal. And Big Wheel Tours delivered to the hotel, and the hotel delivered to the room. Niiiiiicccccceeeeee!

3 Likes

Nice! Here’s my weather for the weekend. Probably too much snow to fatbile, unless I catch a plowed road at the right time.

5 Likes

Best time to hang out in the desert!

4 Likes

First EBs group road ride of the year and it was a good turn out despite being just above freezing :cold_face: I went at quite a good tempo to the start to warm up! I ended up with quite a few intervals so hopefully it was productive. My Garmin claims it is and the pint and a half of Moretti officially doesn’t ruin it :wink:

5 Likes

3.5 hrs of Z2 in a whiteout.

15 Likes

A short gravel ride for me today. Peterborough to Elton to meet some mates and then through Sulehay Woods, Purleius Woods and Fineshade Woods to the Top Lodge cafe. Then mainly back on road (just a few off road sections): Kings Cliffe, Apethorpe, Nassington, Yarwell Mill, back to Nassington, Elton and back to Peterborough.

6 Likes

It was 50 here in New England yesterday and I was a little cold after riding for 2 hours :rofl:

I am impressed you can get out there in that snow!!! :exploding_head:

1 Like

I have a small ride coming up in June I need to train for. And outside training is better than inside!

9 Likes

At least they are not dying off. I think the frogs I used to have around my house might have died off. I never see them anymore. Even when it is super rainy, like it was this month. Thank you for sharing this. It is so cool that the people there care so much about them!

2 Likes

We still have a LOT of frogs around here.

This froggie used my pool for a polar bear swim on January 1st! The pool was a little green from all the redwood branches getting blown in from the storms… Used the net to move him before pouring chlorine :skull_and_crossbones: into the pool.

5 Likes

You are so lucky! What a great picture! Glad you withstood the storms fine! It was crazy!

1 Like

First ride in two months!!! What?! Arrrgh. The holidays and weather really messed me up. So no PRs and one pretty spectacular crash caused by me trying to avoid mud (because I am aways afraid that riding through mud makes me crash LOL) but I slogged my way up the hills and am gonna try to rebuild some bike fitness! Can’t wait until next weekend to hit it again.

4 Likes

It’s quiet here, so I’ll post a little something. Winter has retreated at our altitude and region. It’s not like 2021 when a mid-January ride wasn’t really possible (at least not with my 47mm tires), so the dog and I focused on running then, giving way to larger four-legged trail users, like below (again, from 2021).

But as the pack shrank a bit, paths formed in the snow, making it easier to trudge and then roll through. By 6 Feb '21, well-worn paths from walkers, cyclists, runners, and horses were to be found:

That was then, which is not like now. Now the temps are hitting 5ºC or even higher, with lows dropping below 0ºC sometimes, and some occasional rain. The icy conditions, from an early snow that got flattened and freezing rain to make sure it had that slick sheen, kept me off the trails for the past few weeks. But mostly all gone now. An afternoon quickie a couple of days ago had some white stuff, but it was generally dry. (No, Beevis, no.) It was late in the afternoon toward sunset, hence the lights being on (it wasn’t as bright as this iPhone pic makes it appear).

We’ve pretty much reset with the “snow” nearly gone, which is not hard ice, fortunately, except for holdout sections sheltered by trees, like this patch seen on my 5a ride yesterday morning:

There’s a bit of a feeling that spring is coming, though on some days, the chill and gray feels more like late autumn.

Yesterday morning, though, had more of an early spring feel with loads deer. The GoPro doesn’t do well in low light (I found it’s better with low light with a video than a pic), but here are some deer from a still from a GoPro video taken on the move during a climb:

I’ve been doing TR workouts on the rollers, and watching K-dramas or AppleTV for recovery or endurance rides.

7 Likes

You too with the K-dramas :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

2 Likes

Yup, though last night was Slow Horses. My wife is Korean, so she, our half-Korean teenagers, and Netflix give me the recommendations… Maybe you’ll recognize this one :grin:
1 Likes, 0 Comments - Matt (@matt.mountainrunner) on Instagram

1 Like