Where did you ride OUTSIDE today (2022)

Followed the paved route up with doing The Dirty Lemmon today. I opted to not climb back to the top when I made it back to the pavement. The last 6 miles before getting back to the pavement were hands down the hardest of the entire ride!

Hard to tell, but that’s loose over chunk, on a 12%+ grade!

But views like this were totally worth the suffering!

Came across some horses, I don’t think they were wild, they didn’t seem too bothered by me.

Then there was this MASSIVE Saguaro! Had to be 20+ feet tall!

I ride a 59 for reference!:rofl:

https://www.strava.com/activities/8137317060/overview

16 Likes

Riding in the snow is definitely a novelty and is fun in that it’s very different. It’s nice for a couple of months. But by month 4 (~March) I’m definitely ready to get back to solid dirt!

3 Likes

I wasn’t sure what to wear last night as it was forecast to be dry but cold. A softshell winter jersey or the Gabba with arm warmers. Then they changed the forecast to a chance of rain which made the decision for me (the Gabba) and I definitely made the right choice. In the words of the Big Yin, there’s no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong type of clothes :wink:

6 Likes

Nice pics!

I saw snow for the first time in ~15yrs during a layover in Minneapolis a couple days ago. I think that will do for another 15-20yrs :joy:

4 Likes

We like to climb here in Pittsburgh. This was actually a scouting ride for next week, which will be 8,000 feet over just 40 miles. All within Pittsburgh’s north side.

9 Likes

So that if she gets dropped he is aware and can pull her back?

Jealous of all of you riding outdoors. Winter has arrived in southern Ontario so all my ride time is either on the track or the trainer. I’m still lurking here and living vicariously through you all.

I have switched off erg mode on the trainer, which I believe is @WindWarrior 's preference too. And I have acquired power pedals for the track bike which is giving me a whole new bunch of data to get all excited about.

1 Like

The funny thing is, right after the pic was taken she was dropped into that headwind and I was the only one that noticed! And :clap: for experimenting with non-erg, let us know what you think. I prefer sim or standard/level modes, but resistance is ok for endurance rides.

3 hours of easy endurance:

Finally got a crappy pic of the snow in the Sierra mountains:

Heard this song this morning and couldn’t get it out of my head, theme song:

9 Likes

I met some mates in Elton (a village west of Peterborough, UK) and we headed off road to the Fineshade Cafe. It was a bit squirrely at time but it was the lull between the storm, so quite dry and bright. When I got back to Peterborough I thought the sound of the Mere (lock) after all that rain was quite immense.

Lol, I better go and clean my bikes when its still that lull :joy:

7 Likes

38 bonus minutes at the end in the dark, for some cold acclimation at 48F / 9C and twilight pics.

15 Likes

Back at you @WindWarrior from a little up the hill Sunday morning. Fall color is staying quite a while with no recent wind/storms.

13 Likes

Bay Area? If yes, can’t tell if that is Diablo or Tam.
Figured it out. Looks like EDH looking over Sacramento to the west, and a little farther off is Diablo in the Bay Area.

1 Like

90 min on a cool crisp day. Been doing HIT and Strength inside so nice to get out. Won’t get too many more of these in 2022 I’m afraid.

Enjoy Thanksgiving break those of you in the USA. Those of you outside the USA, well, you get enough ban holidays as it is. Cheers!!

10 Likes

Bingo. West side of Serrano MTB trails near Serrano & Silva Valley Parkway in El Dorado Hills.

2 Likes

The giveaway for me - I spotted Wilson Blvd on the near hill on the right!!!

Need to get out your way and do either the 4 Towers + Boulder Ridge

I’ve done that a handful of times since 2016, with and without Boulder Ridge. Route on RWGPS:

or a similar but new route posted recently by Cycle Folsom:

Any opinions?

5 Likes

No leaf peeping tonight, instead a little Spanglish and geography word play:

stopped around 2 hour mark and took the pic:

and the other direction:

nice and easy endurance with some after-sunset bonus miles to get home:

Theme song for last night and tonight:

7 Likes

Those are all pretty good roads and some short and steep hills. Saturday late morning is super busy in Folsom now though, especially with all the holiday traffic. Lots of new homes south of Hwy 50 near there.

1 Like

Snowy ride this evening. This trail is rideable only until Dec 1st, when the area closes to allow the Elk population to have the area to themselves. Then I’ll have to ride 5 mins across town to the more extensive trail system. More trails, but not the same back country feel.

12 Likes

Today started well with some joy watching hummingbirds at our new kitchen window feeder:

But then got hit by an avalanche of stress today, was suppose to do some intervals but the bottom fell out:

Maybe I should turn that 180 so the slight smile becomes a slight frown :thinking:

After late ride stopping at the vet to check on ailing cat & wife/daughters, I experienced a rally and return to power which led to an unexpected not-full-gas KOM:

Tried to let the stress flow out of my mind and body, by enjoying the late November scenery, Sandhill Cranes, and Mt Diablo on the horizon:

Beyond the cat, some other stuff including not great news about my mom. That big drop in power was when I couldn’t stop thinking of my dad RIP.

Holidaze. Sigh.

11 Likes

Some intervals to burn off the beef tenderloin instead of turkey dinner last night:

as usual, finished in the neighborhoods after sunset but tonight I was really able to keep it smooth and steady:

on the lower end of my endurance target. Not too shabby after some intervals.

Theme song:

Love me SRV and Double Trouble!!!

12 Likes

Gourd-geous ride this morning

These things were massive!

Beyond the pumpkins, it was a pretty standard ride with the same old views & vistas.

16.5 miles and 2100’ made for a not-flat ride in generally cool, damp forest with the temp a comfy 4-5C / around 40F).

I’ve really cut back on my saddle time to return to running and swimming as my overall available time to workout/train has diminished due to work (primarily writing a Phd), but it’s all good.

16 Likes