Where did you ride OUTSIDE today (2021)

Yup, I’ll be there. I figured a Haute Route in Switzerland, my first HR, would be safe for me to travel to. It also was the only event that fit into my personal and family schedules. It’ll be nice being at that end of the country as my schlechte deutsche Sprache won’t be an issue there :smiley:

1 Like

tow rope or the new RaceMax Boost with a disc cover for the rear wheel because these are the only e-bike giveaways (the new grey-on-grey is looking sharp!):

@Aeroiseverything my wife thanks you for being a friend to animals!

1 Like

I like animals very much, and the ones looking like dogs have a special place.

I call this Wolf-like creature my own, although he prefers to live outside and only come into the house to distribute mud on my carpet and couch. We are great friends, although he hates bikes - A LOT!

5 Likes

Hero dirt today so I couldn’t get excited about Guard. Rode MTB and PR’d 12 of 16 segments. I think the training is really paying off and Broken Finger Wednesday reacquainted me with being uncomfortable then recovering quickly.

3 Likes

Fun MTB today. Came around a turn to an uphill, to see an e-bike coming down the hill. He locked up his brakes (because Shimano has no Modulation :stuck_out_tongue:) and went OTB straight into me. I’m good, he’s good, he bent a brake lever, I have a tender shin

9 Likes

Ooof. I’m glad you both got away relatively unscathed.

1 Like

Dude, you are taking some of the tips in your First Race tips? thread too literally!

But hey, I guess that makes you battle ready for the Pickle Juice Crit!

1 Like

Today I just rode around my neighborhood – in the farm fields, through the local Lion’s park, in a subdivision. I follow the theme of the Wynne workout. 3x2 @mid-anaerobic, 3x1 in low neuromuscular, and 3x.5 in mid-neuromuscular power. My efficiency is coming back!

2 Likes

Got out on the road bike again today because @Aeroiseverything got in my head about Crans-Montana in four weeks. :joy: Time in the saddle with a hill and some flat. The temp was 13C but it felt colder. I don’t know if it was the weather, coincidental timing, or something else but I saw unusually few cyclists.

Started to rain at the end and it is forecast to continue through Wednesday, which should make tomorrow’s gravel ride a bit less dusty.

6 Likes

Sorry man, didn’t want to pressure you :joy:.
Also, you live very close to where I used to live during university (Herrliberg).

2 Likes

I set out with the ambition to break the hour for 25miles. I had the inkling I could do it after going wrong at the start of a bumpy course last September and doing a 1h 1min 28s.
I woke up this morning to heavy showers and I decided on the neoprene gloves to keep my damaged fingers warm. I didn’t think it would be the day. Then a Faceboke mate said it was a fast day which motivated me. I then saw him at the start and we had a bit of blether which put me in a relaxed mood. Lol, so relaxed I forgot the gel which was in my trouser legs.
I then set off and glanced down and saw I was doing circa 40-50w over my ramp test FTP. I kept on expecting the pain to come but it didn’t and it only felt like I was going Tempo. After gingerly going round the soaked roundabouts, the pain still didn’t come (the road was so smooth) and I came away with a 56.59 (a 4mins and 29s pb). Looking at my HR, I only peaked at 176bpm and I can do 196bpm so hopefully there’s more to give but Tempo never tasted so sweet :slightly_smiling_face:

The bike will need a clean but it was worth it :slightly_smiling_face:

20210515_193218

6 Likes

We’ll done! 56 min at 285-290w. Seems like you should have gotten a new FTP for that effort!!

2 Likes

Yip :slight_smile: I was training off 250w but my eFTP is up to 288w and my ace power for the 57min was 292w and 20mins (313w) puts me at 297w FTP. Last year when I was questioning eFTP it was 296w, perhaps its not far off after all; I still suck at ramp tests though (my last one was 248w) :joy:

1 Like

I used to live in Cambourne so that map brings back memories!

An easy jaunt along the Waterfront Trail (Lake Ontario) for me today. Got my first vaccine dose yesterday so was happy to take it slow and look around as we’ve never been that way before.

8 Likes

Spring keeps trying to arrive in Trondheim and Trondheim keeps smacking it back down. Managed to enjoy the remains of the weekend sun before the deluge starts and the temperatures drop back into the 40s F/single digits C. I stitched together a bunch of gravel roads, and they turned out super nice. We didn’t have to trudge through the snow even once!

Also my first real ride with a power meter, and I’ve learned I go up hills way harder than I think I’m going up hills.

9 Likes

Awesome gravel ride today in Northern Minnesota with my team. It’s so nice to ride in areas where you see no cars for hours.

We all made some really good efforts toward the end and I’m really pleased with my current fitness going into my first race. It was really nice to get a group ride in with some good friends and be able to push one another–it’s been a long time.

Endless gravel!

Two buddies just rolling casually and enjoying the ride.

8 Likes

Prince William County, VA, USA*

Z2ish spin on the cycleway next to the Prince William Parkway in Virginia. Saw this turtle along the path. Took a few pics and waited to ensure he made it to the other side before continuing.

The sprint (for me) at the end was my second attempt to take a local KOM in two weeks. Last week moved me up to #3 and I dropped another couple of seconds to go to #2. Three more seconds to go.

6 Likes

After my TT PB and soaking yesterday today was fortunately a better day (it was forecast heavy prlongued showers after noon but we didn’t get more than a light shower up north and a bit heavier but short shower close to home). So I decided to join the cafe ride for a relaxed 75miles trip up to Belvoir Castle. It turned out to be near 100, so I rounded it up to that going by a mates place. After I left him it was circa 108miles, and I thought what the heck, I’ll round it up to 200k for May. I had stupidly left my Garmin’s back light on after yesterday’s TT and the battery died so I guessed, erring on the safe side and ended up with 134miles (215k for May). I might sleep to night. I spent most of last night awake and buzzing about my TT.

IMG_20210516_210948_013

8 Likes

Beauty of a day today. The ups were tough, the descents technical, but I picked up a bunch of PRs and a new 5 minute best of 380w. I managed to even crack myself towards the top of a longer climb, just went too hard chasing someone faster and had to take a break for about 40 seconds, still placed 11th on the segment missing 10th by 1 second🤣 gotta go back and really give it a good effort. NP was 237w

7 Likes

Had a nice gravel ride outside yesterday, and being picky with gravel (hate getting off the bike), I was pleasantly surprised!

It was a bit colder than usual, but short bibs and long sleeve was perfect when the sun came out during lunch!

7 Likes