Where did you ride OUTSIDE today (2021)

Should have had Mount Goode+3 yesterday but I was away with work and didn’t get back until 7pm so postponed it to today and pushed it outside. https://www.trainerroad.com/app/career/bobw/rides/104718590-mount-goode-3

I’ve done outside workouts before but on my MTB so no power just RPE. Today I was on my road bike (it’s been on the trainer for sixteen months and this is only it’s third trip outside in that period!) so it was a case of trying to find a route that I could fit fifteen minute efforts into without there being a big descent in each interval. We live in a hilly area so even the “flat” roads are anything but and even minor descents or down gradients affect the overall power. Really frustrating to see your average power for the interval dive with just a short 100m (distance) descent even when pedalling hard.

The second interval had an unexpected set of road works which held things up and I cut short the last interval as I’d got to the top of a hill and was about to start a longish descent so there’d be no power - going too quick! Tacked on another 90mins of endurance/tempo riding onto the end of the scheduled workout.

Pretty cold - about 2C - but at least it wasn’t raining.

Next week’s a recovery week so I’ll do those workouts outdoors as well.

4 Likes

I had an itch to Tame the Dragon today, so I did.

I got a bit carried away with the photos too.

8 Likes

Bup Labs universal mount

1 Like

No riding but probably the last skate of the season. Not the easiest 114 km I’ve done with lots of wind and surface getting soft in the last few hours.

Never mind the 40km/h, dont know where that comes from. The real number is 30 km/h max speed.

14 Likes

3.5 hours of Z2 with some Z4 thrown in on the hills. Steepest 20% but not super long. Like to rev the HR now and again outdoors on my longer rides. Just so I don’t forget the feel and what the pacing feels like. Very different to feel on turbo.

Rest day tomorrow so that’ll be a walk. Then on Monday my VO2 max work on turbo. Got my 6 hour Z2 scheduled for Thu.

Legs feeling super strong throughout.

7 Likes

55 miles of pavement today!

2 Likes

Thanks!

Put in a solid 34 miles today.

9 Likes

First road ride of the year. Feels odd with all the snow around, but the roads were clear, so that’s all the matters.

Fat biking will wind down over the next month. Road biking pick up to take its place. Gravel season starting in May. MTB season starting in June.

10 Likes

Little 2.5 hour Sunday cruise! Windy and cool out, no complaints.

11 Likes

Did Electra outside today, actually I skippedan interval by mistake so I did Electra twice. Annoyingly my rear mudguard bracket kept on detaching.

At one of the stops I took these pics.

I eventually figured out a way to get them to hold. I need to figure out a more permanent bodge however :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

There’s probably a meme in this picture somewhere with Dura Ace but a food wrapper fix … I love it!

2 Likes

First long outside ride of the season - the loop around Folsom Lake, aka ‘Ride the Rhino’.

14 Likes

Bought a new bike, decided to ride to pick it up and sag it back home!

10 Likes

Course recce for a Dawn til Dusk charity ride I’m doing on April 3. We estimate that we’ll complete three laps of this route.

Rode with a team mate (who’s also a TR user :+1:) and I was really pleased with the results. Managed to keep my average HR nicely in the endurance zone, found my rhythm quickly on the climbs and didn’t spike above threshold for too long.

Nutrition was ok-ish. I ate and drank regularly but I needed to eat and drink just a little bit more.

9 Likes

Unusually warm day today so I decided to forgo my VO2 max intervals for my first outdoor ride since October. Originally planned for some structured hill repeats, but being the first outdoor ride of the year, I decided to just have fun and go for some KOMs. Took 30s off my favorite hill!

Winter training has done well for me this year. I set power PRs for everything from 3 min to 12 min, including a nice bump in 5 min power (379->407) and 10 min power (360->374). Pretty stoked!

9 Likes

Saw the sunshine, saw the forecast rain for the next nine days, got on the bike.

Haven’t been for a ride in months!

8 Likes

Ya know its a good ride when you are on the 4th season of TR and this happens:

:smiley:

https://www.strava.com/activities/4918975074

8 Likes

Beautiful!!! Wow. Glad you got so many great pictures and shared them!

1 Like

FINALLY got outside today, first time this year. Not much daylight left being done work at 5:30 but DST next week will help. When it’s short it’s gotta be sweet, 22mph avg I’ll take it!

6 Likes