Where did you ride OUTSIDE today? (2019 & 2020)

No ride today (going to the market doesn’t count because it didn’t end up on strava). I rode 450 km the last 8 days, so I thought it was time for a day off :slight_smile:
Had a great week though riding around Voorthuizen en Waverveen (the Netherlands)

1 Like

3 Likes

I love this!

1 Like

Looks lovely!

1 Like

Two of them for me.

My head wasn’t really in my 25mile TT, it was more in wanting to enjoy what could be the last summer day. Which is probably the route of me messing it up.
Taking ages to clip in (nerve damage) I missed the over bridge, took the road just after it as I was supposed to do but it never felt right (there was no ob, or so it seemed, there was no sign/marshal) so I doubled back in doubt. Then turned left but that didn’t look right either I paused for a sec then saw my latter minute man and saw he was slowing down for the corner so I gave way to him and an equally as lost car. Then started into a strong wind but not the too gusty one I’d feared.
A series of close passes did my head in more, and when I got to the cr@py bit of road with that in my head I rode the whole way covering the brake. To stop me swerving into the close passing cars (I never did) :joy:
Ended up with a 44s PB at 1.01.28 (my previous pb was mid chemo though with a severely bruised wrist). According to my Garmin including the giveaway I was 1.00.20 for the 25, so if I get it right the hour is in sight. Turning 45 at Christmas (sorry someone had to mention that event, at least my tree is not up :hushed:) I think I’m running out of time.

Got back early enough though that I got that ride in to enjoy the weather :sun_with_face: Wanted back for the TdF though so I opted for Pettit.

2 Likes

The wind has shifted and finally cleared the smoke from all the forest fires. First clear day in a couple of weeks. Fall colors starting to show themselves. Love this time of year.

9 Likes

The best bit about the Shotgun seat is that I managed to get in nearly 6 hours of riding over the weekend. That’s 6 hours of good and solid base volume with some pretty hard intervals thrown in when the terrain dictates. (75kgs with an added 21kgs on my XCM rig makes for some hard grinds up the hills).
Actually, that’s not entirely true. The best part was exploring with my son and sharing something I enjoy.

3 Likes

Evening ride on some freshly laid asphalt. The previous surface wasn’t bad. So not sure why it was resurfaced. But this new surface sure is smooth!

5 Likes

Racing stipes!

100 miles, 4500ft elevation on the old single speed yesterday. Managed to get a few testing climbs in as well.
Weather was beautiful here in the UK, it made the hard work worth it.

5 Likes

Took my 2021 FUEL EX to Nockamixon trails. These are flowy MTB specifically designed trails mostly dominated by hardtails and short travel XC bikes often piloted by racers much more skilled than me. I managed to pull some great times on segments I wanted to attack, and my buddy made a good reference that for being a multi-tool of a bike 140/130 travel, these are pretty good.

Then my fun all came to a sudden end, and I forgot that I hadn’t stuffed my downtube storage box with tools. Soon as I got home I loaded it up with a tool, quick link, and some zip ties. If anyone has other suggestions for what to carry I’ve got much room left.

2 Likes

A bit of spare chain - I keep the links I removed when fitting the chain; two quick links; a couple of tyre levers; a Leatherman Squirt; knowledge.

The Kettering Sporting TT for me today somehow did a circa 58s PB (awaiting the results) despite riding conservatively and a shallow front wheel. Expecting 33mph gusts that actually weren’t that bad (they were only 31.6mph). Mind you I never had a disk wheel then and it was not long after I started structured training.

3 Likes

Not a bad idea on the spare chain, though you can’t reinstall solid links on the Eagle chains after you break them, so I’d need two quick links to replace a section of chain anyway to join it together. I don’t carry any flat gear on MTB, sure I could fit a tube and mess with a few co2 canisters trail but honestly by the time I do that I could walk back to the car, it’s just such a chore IMO.

Maybe I can stick a pump in there :rofl:

Ah, I’m a Shimano guy :grin: Actually I use KMC chains and their quick links are reusable, presumably on the same chain - I wouldn’t move a quick link between an old and a new chain.

Here’s my MTB toolkit. It’s aimed at multi-day, potentially remote (by UK standards) rides. The glove and everything to its right goes in the small tin at top right. The small tube is flexible super glue. Top left is a Sahmurai tyre plug system that goes in the ends of the bars. Pump is mounted next to the bottle cage. The white “thing” to its left is a piece of old toothpaste tube which is a tyre boot.

In addition to this I’ll have a Black Diamond expedition sewing kit - useful for all sorts of things including sewing up cuts in tyres. Also missing are a couple of small plastic fish from supermarket sushi packs that contain chain oil.

2 Likes

Back up to Osterøy, with adequate fueling this time. And many waterfalls on account of all the RAIN WE GET HERE. This one was half-way up a gravel climb, totally worth blowing the segment.

5 Likes

I thought I had a decent time for a recovery before meeting a mate for a coffee, so I switched of the mph and did a zone 2 ride. About 5 miles from home I got a text from the mate asking if we could pull it forward, Lol :joy:

4 Likes

Tour of Penyghent (one of the main three peaks in Yorkshire for those not in the UK). Just 24km and 450m of ascent, not a lot for around here. Lovely sunshine but a cool northerly breeze, autumn is definitely on its way.

7 Likes

Too much power!

1 Like

I broke my GX chain when I money shifted like 4 gears under slow cadence load, bad idea. Then I broke the X01 chain at the quick link doing 3 gears. With AXS I turned off multi shift so worst case I bumped the controller and grabbed 2 gears. Dunno what it is but def not my power