Where did you ride OUTSIDE today? (2019 & 2020)

Quotes from Beer Advocate:

  • This tastes like a dirty sock that you have worked out in dipped in tomato and lime guts.
  • The only thing worse than bud light is bud light clamato chelada. I guess if you have to get your veggie servings for the day and are having a liquid lunch this would serve a purpose. For any other reason, stay clear.
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Stunning scenery on the ride though.

I’ll try it next time camping in Teton NP? The California pizza at Snake River Brew pub in Jackson was pretty rocking a few years ago…

I think the reason it tastes good after a ride is because it’s salty. Now whether a beer should be salty is a different question :rofl:

We were planning to go there for dinner before the rodeo - but it was closed. They said due to COVID. Hopefully not permanently. The restaurant has a good vibe to it. And also the beer is good (better than Bud Light Chelada!)

Out for a road ride today. I didn’t want to push hard but there were two lumps – Sattelegg and Ibergeregg – I wanted to get to as I haven’t been on them this year. After the overcast and sometimes heavy rain last week, today was sunny blue skies. For much of the route, the roads were quiet, sometimes very quiet without cars for long stretches.

On the way to the first major peak, there was a fun kicker of a detour:

Some obligatory cow bells (not included are seen & heard lamb bells and, I’m not kidding but they were kids, goat bells near the peak at Ibergeregg:

The shot of the bike.

Plenty of people were out with the cars that had otherwise been hiding in the garage.

Overall, a nice day of 78 miles in 5:13, with a total time of 5:23. The ten minute gap taken up by three pauses, two for nature and one for the detour. Oh, there was one other red light, which was the only traffic signal I encountered.

A good day to be outside. I came home and changed and took the wife and daughter to the lakeside and while they were paddleboarding, I hung out with the dog (and the son stayed home to play online with his friends).

image


Way too hot today

Borrowed my FIL’s new MTB and grabbed a quick 1k of gain in just a couple miles in the deep back woods of N. Idaho. I’m very new to MTB, and the loose rock / deep rutted roads definitely woke me up on the way down, but what a blast.

A quick loop over the local hill before the rains arrive tonight. Very blustery and the last couple of weeks of rain have made things a bit slape in places.

One of the tracks, actually it’s a footpath and part of the Pennine Way has been completely flagged over since I last did it. There were some flags there before plus some duckboards to cross a boggy section but they’ve done away with those and it’s now all stone, maybe 400m worth. That made that bit quicker but it was an absolute quagmire by the gate :shock: Then did a track, another footpath, that I’d not done before before heading home.

Annoyed/frustrated at my poor Ramp Test I managed to get a few PRs and one segment I was within 15secs of my PR which is top ten, not bad considering there was a headwind. Then on the full climb back to the top of the hill (4,2km with 240m of ascent) I got a top ten :+1:

A 2 hr singletrack climb followed by a 1 hr descent this past weekend. Hard going both directions - but for different reasons!

Heading west into the wind:

Vitamin D run every time I ride in the evening…

Looking back to the east:

I imagine a lot of cattle was bought and sold here, in the not too distant past

Worst Recovery Ride ever but at the same time one of the most beautiful rides ever.

Aletsch Glacier is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
“It has a length of about 23 km (14 mi) (2014), has about a volume of 15.4 km3 (3.7 cu mi) (2011), and covers about 81.7 km2 (31.5 square miles) (2011)…”. A quite impressive sight.

We did almost no pedaling but a lot of Hike-a-Bike and almost 4000m (around 13000 feet) of elevation loss. Needless to say: I’m smashed.

Such a stunning landscape.
‘Ride down a glacier’ is now on the bucket list.
There’s something special about a river of frozen water that flows on a very different time scale to it’s liquid form.

I rode a bike down the old outer crater of an active volcano that was experiencing a minor eruption years ago.
There were monks making offerings on the side of the mountain while I was having breakfast at a cafe perched on the old crater rim.
Stuff like that really puts time into perspective.

We drove from Switzerland (near Zurich) to Lake Como yesterday for three days of holiday. It’s safer in Northern Italy than in the US. I brought my bike and went out for a ride today. 7a start, no breakfast, just a glass of water, and rolling.

Total distance was 111 miles going around the three “petals” of Lake Como. I didn’t hit Bellagio, which sits at the middle as I cut inland to climb Ghisallo & Muro di Sormano (the Wall of Sormano).

Put another way, the ride was generally flat / light rollers until the end. Muro is 16-17% average with 20% bits and a max of 25%. Ouch.

The Muro segment has no cars and I saw no one (walker or cyclist). It is marked with meters of ascent. This pic is of an easier section (of 13-16%) where 1m happens every 3-4m, but elsewhere the marks are 2-3m apart.

The monument at the top of Ghisallo.

One of the wider roads. Elsewhere, there was two-way traffic on a road narrower than one of these lanes hemmed in by buildings and twisting and turning. No pictures of that. At no point did I feel threatened by a car, which was nice.

At mile 77, I stopped for a snack. Until then, it was nothing but Maurten. This was tasty. Opted not for a gelato, which was the original plan.

Across the road from the food stop with the climb a-coming.

Near the end of the ride (within 10km) and after the major descending, I stop at Nesso to take a pic of the ancient Civera Bridge in Nesso (Hitchcock used this in his first movie, apparently). And, as I looked to my left after taking a picture, I saw a gelato right there. Fate. So I got a gelato (lemon and pistachio… not a great selection but still great tasting) before finishing the ride. A good way to burn calories and a good way to take in calories!

What a ride! Congrats. Talk about inspiration…


That felt good, mentally and physically. The group was a bit slower than normal and no real efforts up the Henty climb. Good hydration (I’m liking the GU Lemon berry Drink) and nutrition from gels and chews (60g cho/hr, 300cal/hr). Legs felt good and not too tired during or after. Decided to do Tray Mountain (prescribed) outside 3x 20minute @ 85% (200w). I wasn’t sure if I could hold 200w outside after 70km and 2.5hrs but thought I would give it a go. Very surprised to complete the interval, had a rest then did another one. Bailed on the third due to time. I’m starting to understand the phrase “Playing with your fitness”.

Highcountry / backcountry ride in Colorado today. Nice to get out into the middle of nowhere - as long as no medicals or mechanicals!!


Wise County, Texas.

Zillertal, Austria. Seems to be a lot of teams training here too.

Lovely. I did something similar last year. The muro is a beast, I had a cow walk over the road at that gate had way!

No cows on my trip, but there were some donkeys near the start. I’m thinking the Muro is a one-and-done for me :grimacing: It wasn’t even walkable: too steep to walk in cleats (not that I thought about walking :shushing_face: ).