When to wash your bibs/workout clothes

I’m using a dehumidifier in my pain cave this year and it really is worth it. I train in a spare bedroom and the humidity and smell were sort of a problem. I turn in on just before starting a workout and usually let it run for maybe 30-60 minutes after.

It’s a dry house, I just sweat a lot. I often have streaks in line with my pedals from the sweat coming out of the vents in the shoes. That’s part of the reason for turning my office into the Pain Cave. She doesn’t; have to see it, just smell it apparently. We used to share a room with a Peloton, and she (apparently) doesn’t sweat. shrug But I don’t eat much meat, so I’m surprised at how bad it smells, but have gotten used to it, after the banishment from the communal room, and Peloton throne room. :smiley:

The pads are thick. I have 2 pairs or bibs that the pad is still wet after running through the dryer. It surprised me on an indoor ride when I felt ‘moist’ down there, and grabbed the pad, and sitting on the saddle was actually wringing water out of the pad. The pad felt dry too.

I guess I should be grateful I do sweat. I saw a physician that said he rarely sweats, and it’s a real problem for him.

You answered my next question about diet. I know some vegan/vegetarians claim their sweat smells better (although I find this a little dubious). It sounds like you’ll just have to live with it, probably put some towels down around your bike and wash everything frequently. I think a dehumidifier would be helpful too.

Personally I have 3 indoor trainer bibs i only use on the trainer these are retired bibs that I don’t wear out in public. When Im don’t riding indoor or outside I hang them so they don’t get musty sitting in a pile, and usually Saturday night when im done with all my work outs and my outdoor riding I wash them in cold water under delicates cause there delicate and hang dry them. I never use them more than twice with out washing and never inside out… :smile: There are detergents out there for only active wear cloths but iv never used them.

I definitely use a few towels in the summer. The problem with a dehumidifier is getting rid of the humidity it’s getting rid of.

One vegan on a group ride, people were warned not to follow too close to him. It wasn’t his sweat that stunk… Eww… :nauseated_face:

One vegan on a group ride, people were warned not to follow too close to him. It wasn’t his sweat that stunk… Eww…

Haha, your experience mirrors my own with some of my vegan friends.

1 Like

I mean…

there are stuff that goes inside the bib that are not sanitized…

washing after every use is not optional IMO…

I put them out in the garage to dry up… and as soon as I run out of gear i wash them up…

Usually i run out or running shorts before anything else…so… thats that…

Haha, your experience mirrors my own with some of my vegan friends.

Hah…

Someone said ‘He thinks his poop doesn’t stink, but we aren’t sure. Try to stay upwind!.’ He took the teasing well though. Once, we rode past a farm, and everyone was looking at him! :laughing: He wasn’t quite so understanding when we got downwind. ‘NEED A WIPE?’:laughing:‘HOLY CRAP DUDE!’:laughing:

2-4 thick towels under the bike, one on the bars, and something on the top tube then wash them immediately after training.

I thought hot water on fancy sports fabrics was a big no-no?

Assuming USA, you should definitely talk to an estate planner. Medicare/medicaid can and will swindle you out of your inheritance without careful asset structuring.

2-4 thick towels under the bike, one on the bars, and something on the top tube then wash them immediately after training.

I did that in the heat of the summer, and flooded two ‘bath sheets’. I left them on the bike mat, and they got glued down by the sweat. Yuck. I must sweat a lot more than other people. I’ve flooded the Tacx towels in an hour ride. It’s a challenge sometimes… Yeah, I do use towels at times. I’m embarrassed at how much I sweat at spin classes, so got my own pain cave setup. Ride on!

Thanks…

1 Like

I am honestly amazed how many of us change bibs/jerseys for each ride. I don’t have a washing machine in my flat, it’s a shared one in the basement.

On average I ride mine for one week (4-5 sessions). I have only two bibs, because I don’t have time to buy new ones.

In the summer no jersey or shirt. During winter normal cotton T-Shirt.

1 Like

:nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

I sweat a lot too. Buckets. It’s like someone dropped a gallon of water on the floor. All the fans in the world don’t help, they just blow the sweat onto things next to me.

1 Like

Time? Surely money?

You might want to rinse them and dry them on a radiator immediately after the workout.

2 Likes

I think @JoeX mentioned this but for me taking my bib shorts into the shower with me was a game changer years ago

1. Noxema or enzos button hole directly on the chamois during ride. Generously. I don’t use chamois cream for friction etc. I use it for hygiene.
  2. Inside out in the shower
  3. Ring out, hang dry

I ride 5 days/week and my bibs are always ready.

Apartment living friendly!!

3 Likes

That quick air dryer in gloves and skates before the games, smelly smelly haha

Stop farting all the damn time.

Her son and daughter get the inheritance.

Yeah, this thread changed my mind. I think I will only use them twice from now.

I never wash my bibs, the wife does it for me after each and every ride.

I wouldn’t know where to start! :thinking: