Wheelset, which would you choose?

Funnily enough am in a very similar situation of looking for an everyday wheelset for UK conditions and came up with a similar list. Want to run tubeless so I can go wider (28-30mm) and lower pressure and still have good puncture protection. What are people’s thoughts on hookless? I think the Zipps are the only wheels on the list which are hookless. Seems from reading around the net that hookless ETRTO standard is what at least some of the wheel and tire manufacturers are starting to converge on. Just not sure how much of the purported benefits of hookless are real vs marketing BS!

My one experience with tubeless so far wasn’t great - spent several hours and much cursing trying to get a Conti 5000GP TL onto a tubeless ready wheel, luckily haven’t had a puncture and had to change it yet. So if hookless is going to be the new standard and in the longer run mean there is more choice of tires that should actually fit consistently, the Zipps would seem the way to go.

I’ve read and watched all the reviews on the zipps , and everyone says same thing regarding the ease of setting them up, tires go on and seat easy. From what I understand advantages of hookless, save weight, cost less. I have also read a lot of people will never go hookless blah blah blah just the usual resistance to change, I like the fact that zipp go all in and are committed, it would be a very bad business decision to do that if there were going to be problems. At the moment downside is continental won’t recommend their tires for use with them, doesn’t really bother me.

1 Like

Id go Winspace for value. I’m running Lightbicycle Falcon Pro’s and honestly…carbon wheelsets are over-rated as an upgrade.

I’m a 64kg rider that first moved to Hunt 50s from a 2kg 32 spoke shallow gravel alu wheelset and could barely feel a difference. I usually average 29.2kmh on my 200W weekend long z1 rides; with the hunts or lightbicycle wheelset it might be 29.6kmh.

This is after I started yoga and went from 26kmh to 29kmh at 200W just from getting more aero!

The bike looks extra awesome with deep carbon wheels tho! I suppose you can’t underestimate motivation sourced from that…

Thanks! If these were race wheels I’d maybe be more worried about limited tire selection. But seems enough options out there that work, and hopefully only a matter of time before Continental come out with tires that meet the hookless standard. From memory they were one of the slower companies to release tubeless tires.

@NasiLemak I’m tempted by them but if you look at my chart they don’t really look value compared to some brands that have full service network in uk.

I don’t have experience with the Winspace wheels, but everything I’ve read is quite appealing. Comparing the Zipp to the Hunt, I’d take the Zipp. Zipp are noticeably better in cross winds.

I can’t comment on performance but I keep seeing Scribe wheels pop up in adverts, might be in the budget?

Or if it has to come from a local bike shop how good are their wheel building skills?

I don’t think you’d learn anything demoing them. They’re all pretty close to the same for disc wheelsets… 24x24 bladed spokes on a similar rim.

Tour Int did a test, the difference is going to come down to spoke tension and rim diameter at the nipple (ERD / int or ext nipples) I’m guessing. You’ve got to download their phone app and get a subscription. - well worth it if you like testing and numbers. https://www.tour-magazin.de/komponenten/laufraeder/test-2017-laufraeder-fuer-rennraeder-mit-scheibenbremsen/a45092/fotostrecke/3412242/3412274.html
Test 2020: Carbon-Laufräder für Scheibenbremsen - Schnell & Breit: Top-Laufräder | TOUR