Wheels for a heavyweight?

I currently weigh 114kg and looking more robust wheels than my stock ones. I’ve come across a few and just wondering has anyone had experience of using any of these wheels? My budget is around £500 and I enjoy longer rides and climbing.

https://scribecycling.co.uk/collections/alloy-rim-brake/products/duty-1-587g

1 Like

Hi

Mavic Kysiriums all day long. I used as set for 40000km of riding … yes… I had a noise from the wheels… still used them for a month then started trying to find the noise … i pushed the rim it flexed at a crack about 2 inches in long… okay new wheels… i have a set still little use but look great areo on my Turbo front … rear Smart trainer no need for rear they are only 9/10speed shimano … Wheels will drive you crazy…

I had looked at them too and they do seem to hold up well. I did hear Mavic have went into receivership last month which isn’t a good sign

Hi,

I have used the Hunt Superdura wheels, rim brake set for a year with no problems, at the time I weighed 105kg and ride in the Peak District.

I also rode some Strada Deluxe Big Fella Wheels, these are hand built with DT Swiss rims and hub, these where also excellent wheels and stiffer than the Hunt wheels. I would recommend these wheels. You can call the guys at Strada and discuss your specific requirements, not bad for a wheel set of around £500-£600.

BIG FELLA DELUXE | TUBELESS READY STRONG WHEELS FOR BIG RIDERS

Hope this helps

Michael

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve sent them a message on FB and will find them a ring tomorrow I think. Seem the better choice

I’d get these for a few reasons -

1. Much nicer and quieter hubs than the others
  2. They exist. No waiting.

Other options

If you want to go over budget, these have a black braking surface DT Swiss PR 1400 Dicut Oxic Clincher 32mm Wheelset Wheel Sets Tubeless | Bike-Discount

These can be found sub-$500 and be aero-er https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-components/bike-wheels/road-bike-wheels/bontrager-aeolus-comp-5-tlr-road-wheel/p/21803/?colorCode=black_grey

If you aren’t riding down mountains and can wait a month, these would be a good purchase - R45 Carbon Road Wheelset - Light Bicycle

You could look at a custom set off Light Bicycles. custom road wheels Light-Bicycle

1 Like

If the purchase isn’t time sensitive, I would consider contacting Wheelsmith

I had a set of wheels built up for me almost seven years ago and they have been faultless. They’ve been on my winter bike for the past two years and they just won’t give up :joy:

I’m sure those are great…all the bits look good and the attention to detail is likely there.

FYI - those look like he’s sourcing rim (or whole build) from BTLOS (or similar) - 40mm depth Gravel/CX Disc carbon wheels - Btlos Bicycle The hubs are Bitex BX305R (maybe)
My point is that there’s no such thing as a small carbon (or aluminum even) wheel company and to make sure the end-product is price well.