Wheel-on trainer TacX Vortex smart. Would like to use for indoor training

I got a the TacX trainer last year and used it a little for indoor training. I now have a little better set-up because I got a whole new back wheel and tire, so I am not wearing my road/outside riding equipment out.

My main question is - Is the trainer appropriate? Can it serve as a good trainer for power readings and workouts? I have not invested in TrainerRoad yet because I do not know if the trainer is suitable. I did some of my own structured workouts last winter, but I do not know if they helped much.

Secondly, I do not ride with a powermeter, only a HR monitor. Maybe someday I will afford a powermeter - I would like to do the beginner plan and lose weight and rise my FTP, and be in shape to race in the summer months. Basically will the trainer I have be suitable for my goals? I am 205lbs and could afford to lose 10 or 15.

Yes, there are many users here with the Tacx Vortex trainer. It works fine.

Yes, you can gain fitness and lose weight with TrainerRoad. There are many threads here about weight loss.

1 Like

Yes to both.

Source:
I have a vortex
and
I have lost weight.

I have a vortex, its pretty great at this stage of my training, if I ever get to mega FTP levels I will want to upgrade it though :slight_smile:

I’m using garmin cadence and speed sensors as I find the trainer to be inaccurate at both, YMMV!

1 Like

I’d suggest adding a Wahoo cadence meter ($40) and a small computer (lezyne micro c $99) so you see these values on your outside rides to help with pacing and effort. I don’t have a power meter on my outside bike (yeti but with cadence and HR I am able to control power output via cadence and pace my overall exertion monitoring m HR.

Riding indoors on the trainer has given me the data I need to adapt my riding outside.

Last year I bought a vortex and went from 147 FTP
(untrained) to 263 and 3.83W/Kg. I used a generic Amazon speed/cadence sensor (Coospo) and HRM (Megane).

1 Like

I found my tacx vortex to be pretty accurate as long as you warm it up 10-15mins before calibrating it.

I also have the TACX Vortex and have had no problems using it with TR. I would also advise getting a speed and cadence sensor.

Vortex is fine but is way off on power, especially at higher powers. I’ve had/calibrated a few, and if you get it right on the edge of ‘too tight’ on the tacx app it will be near enough correct at lower watts, but still likely 20-30 watts over at higher watts. Possibly a bonus as it’ll make VO2 intervals a little easier…

If you use the same trainer for each workout, and use only its own internal power measurement, you have consistency across your training plan.

It doesn’t matter if it reads high or low vs a power meter or “real” wattage.

The vortex will serve you well.

1 Like

I have EXACTLY the same experience. I always aimed very close to the ‘too tight’ for reproducible workouts, but it turned out (after purchasing a Stages PM) that my VO2max abilities were not as good as suggested by the Tacx Vortex numbers.

The particular issue with the Vortex is it reads high at lower wattages and (very) low at higher wattages. Not a deal breaker, but worth knowing if you’re going into a VO2 interval for the first time after using one expecting to sail through it! :smiley:

Sure, he’ll have to take an ego-hit if and when he moves to a more accurate unit.

I have a mate who has a vortex and I haven’t the heart to tell him his ftp probably isn’t as high as he thinks!

Still, his training is consistent even if his VO2 max progression might be hindered by being too easy!

Appreciate the help on this. I jumped in an subscribed. Now just gotta stick to the workouts. I am going to look into a speed/cadence sensor now. I am curious how the structured training will work with mixing in my own rides at random on the road? Warmer weather will get me outside to ride for sure.