What XC MTB races are you doing in 2020?

A. Austin Rattler
A. Leadville 100
B. TMBRA Series XC Series (Texas)
C. Road and Crit sprinkled in for fitness but that’s not what this thread is about :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

That makes sense to me, for sure. Thanks for the perspective.

2 Likes

Starting with 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo.

Then, I have my training calendar set for the Clif Bar Dirt Cup, EFTA, and the Bubba Burger series in New England. Short Power Build and XCO Speciality with these tight and twisty New England trails. This will be my first full season of racing in New England and I can’t wait!

Also Wilmington Whiteface, to have an attempt at the event lottery for Leadville for 2021.

Maybe if I’m feeling ambitions National Championships in Winter Park.

I’m new to New England, any good races I’m missing?

3 Likes

I like the way that sounds…good luck with your season,and nationals would be a blast!!

1 Like

It would be so fun! Winter Park is a mountain bikers dream in the summertime.

1 Like

Looks amazing!!

This thread is great because it is giving me lots of destination ideas…like I needed more…lol

1 Like

Outside of our XC series for Arizona, this season I’m doing:

• 24 Hours in Old Pueblo in February
  • Cactus Cup in March
  • Whiskey Off Road in April
2 Likes

Those are awesome races, I’m sure. I’ve been debating driving to Arizona for the Whiskey off road…really want to…have to see how some work items fall. someday on Old Pueblo, for sure. Sounds like a great line up. Good luck!

What was your ftp when you went up to cat 1 mtb?

After I won my Cat 2 MTB series I did the last 2 races in the Cat 1 field in 2019. My FTP was 300 with a 3.9 w/kg, but I’d say my strength was bike handling. That was good enough for mid pack finishes of 6th and 7th place.

2 Likes

Do you do any of the bigger, non CPS, races such as O2S, Iceman, MSB, TCTF, or AG&G?

I’m just north of Asheville. Couch Potato is one of my favorite races. I’m gearing up for Icycle in a couple of weeks, that’s a super fun one too. I’ll do some of the Cane Creek races, probably do Jerdon Mountain again ( I think we already talked about ORAMM?). I might do the Pisgah 55.5K. I’m probably going to opt for the Fire Mountain XC race in April, pretty sure that’s date conflict with a Cane Creek series race. It would be fun to branch out, but, like you I tend to stick closer to home. I do wish there was a full XC series that was more Western NC based. I know I’m spoiled but…

Good luck and see you out there!

1 Like

I haven’t yet, but might do Peak2Peak this year. None of the other races look all that exciting as I prefer technical trails to gravel-like events (Iceman). I really enjoy the CPS series and I usually do most of them along with one MTB 100 per year. So it’s already 10+ races per season between late April and September. It’s a long season and I’m pretty smoked so usually not looking to add more races. I’ve only been riding less than 3 years as I picked up the sport at age 40. Plenty of time in upcoming years to start mixing in new races, but as of now I’m looking to see how far I can go in the CPS.

4 Likes

Gravel most of the spring and then jumping into MTB.

Arcadia (maybe)
8 Hours of Ithaca
Ore 2 Shore
Bear Claw EPIC
Peak 2 Peak
ICEMAN

1 Like

Peak 2 Peak is far from technical. It’s a road race on dirt. Love that race though, super fast and fun in the woods with the climb at the end to keep you honest. Tad puts on a fantastic event.

2 Likes

Have you done Pisgah 55? It’s fantastic but also pretty brutal. Some of the descents are the same as the Pisgah enduro and there’s a fair amount of home a bike. Definitely more technical than Jerdon
I did it last year and was not as prepared as I wish(life happened). It’s the only A race I have planned so far.

2 Likes

My plan is to race all 6 of our state series races. Outside of that the only other mtb event I have eyes on is BT Epic.
I’m throwing in some more gravel this year. (TheEpic 150 and hopefully DK200)
For the last three years I’ve done a 100 mile mtb race, but I think for the long stuff this year I’ll look to gravel. Mohican interests me…maybe 2021.

1 Like

BC Bike Race for me in July.

7 Likes
  • Epic Rides Grand Junction off-road
  • Leadville Silver Rush
  • Steamboat Stinger
  • Maybe Laramie Enduro
  • Wednesday night local XC race series, about 6 or 7 races
  • Plus a few trips for rides - Fruita, Moab, Hurricane - if I can convince my wife to let me go away for more bike weekends :rofl:
2 Likes

Nobody is racing U.S. MTB Marathon Nationals in Palo Duro Canyon in Sept?? That’s my A race for 2020. Austin Rattler (Leadville qualifer) in March is my B race.

1 Like