What XC MTB races are you doing in 2020?

Dakota 5-0

1 Like

I like it! Little bit of everything. I’m hearing a lot about this “ Mohican 100k”… Is love to check it out.

There is also a Mohican 100 mile option too…

Sorry, should’ve been more clear -I totally understand having to race in open class. I think we just have different reasons for racing. I’m in it to test myself against a particular course, the other racers are pretty much inconsequential to me.

2 Likes

Gunnison Growler
Firecracker 50
Some other marathon races here in CO.

3 Likes

I’m totally amped up! We’ve got about 4 months more until consistently good weather comes back & TR indoor trainer time is going to have me ready to rock.

In addition to getting myself ready, my gf has decided to give SM100k a go. She hasn’t done much biking let alone any kind of technical mtb so I’ll be riding with her a lot & trying to make sure she’s developing the skills to confidently complete that race. TR is taking care of her fitness, thankfully!

1 Like

I was looking in to the Mohican 100 mile since I’ve never done a mountain bike century and that’s the one that seems to have the most singletrack. When Jeremiah Bishop says it’s harder than Leadville… it’s probably really really hard. Eventually decided that 10+ hours on a bike was more than I wanted to bite off this year. Maybe I’ll do the Shenandoah 100 since that’s a little closer to home.

1 Like

That’s great to hear. So much fun to do it together. TR is the perfect preparation partner, and you’ll do great. Best of luck (although luck has very little to do with it). :sunglasses:

1 Like

Man oh man, that sound really tough…and fun. I can hear my sit bones screaming at me now

Awesome, for sure. Another place I’d love to visit, and ride the heck out of👍

Or do the Mohican 100k - a lot more manageable and you still get to do the same fun singletrack portions.

2 Likes

Maybe the Grand Junction epic ride, would train for it by riding my mtb more beforehand (with a powermeter, riding the mtb doesn’t take away from training for road).
I’m signed up for another 40mile race in CO (grand traverse)

2 Likes

There’s a lot of merit to that. I love the Epic series, and it’s a great ramp to some larger events, when planned properly. Plus, it a ton of fun, and maybe the best managed and organized race series I’ve seen. I can’t speak highly enough of it.

1 Like

I’m planning to head back out to North Dakota for the Maah Daah Hey 100 for the fourth time. I haven’t finished yet… This year, though, I’m planning to just do the 50. I just want to cross that damn finish line. Bailed at the 50ish mile aid station last year, after I started cramping 3 miles in. Something like 48 miles of cramping was enough for me.

I’ll probably try to head out another year, after my kids are older and more self-sufficient, to do the 100. But I want to finish something out there.

3 Likes

Very nice! Great goal, and cool when you can better your last result!! Get some😎

Racing my XC race series in 2020…after moving up to Cat 1/Expert :grimacing:. Hope I can stay with the front group. Also, targeting the Lumberjack 100 and trying to go sub 8:00. Did the Lumberjack as my first MTB 100 in 2017.

3 Likes

Thanks! I made it 58 miles, 67 miles, and then last year just got to the 50-mile aid station (which is at like 52 miles IIRC). But I knew what the trail was like AFTER the aid station (i.e., terrible and not fun for at least the next 15 miles) and figured it didn’t make a lot of sense to keep pushing. If I’d only been cramping for a few miles I would definitely have pushed through, but I figured it wasn’t going to get any better.

Gonna cross the line this year.

1 Like

Heck yes. This is why taking notes post event/race is so valuable. Keep chipping away, and you’ll get stronger. Oh, and listen to Coach Chad and the podcast, and follow the TR system! :wink::muscle:t3:

That’s great! Moving up categories can definitely be a bit intimidating. I’ve always been happy upgrading because I know it means I’m getting faster when I race faster guys, and it sparks my training motivation a new. Best success to you👍

1 Like

Another perspective, not everyone wants to spend the $50-$100 to go test themselves on a course they could ride for free any other weekend. Some folks treat a race as race and want to be in the mix and not just ride around.

Road racing you can hide all day and maybe sprint for the win. Unlikely you win but there is always that chance. In XCO that really isn’t an option so only being able to register for the open class to me is just a disservice to beginner to intermediate level riders that want to compete against similar skill level riders. My guess is more people to pay to play if they felt like they had a shot. Obviously you are doing it for the fun but not everyone is motivated in the same way.

2 Likes