What workout did you do today? (2023)

Smith -1

5 x 10 / 3 @ threshold. Overall felt pretty good despite accumulating fatigue from several weeks of below average sleep.

7 Likes

VO2 Max, my old friend, I have missed you. :joy:. It was nice to read the text and think of Coach Chad encouraging me. It’s just not the same to think of Coach AI giving me tips and helping me along. I hope they keep all the text.

6 Likes

Said no one … ever.

Seriously, though, well done!

4 Likes

:rofl:. Thank you! Good to see you are still crushing it!

1 Like

Red Lake +8

That felt tougher than Haw on Monday, even though today’s intervals were 4% lower. Legs felt dead for the first two intervals even though I took yesterday completely off and slept in an extra hour this morning. Almost marked it “very hard.” Glad it’s done, though, but scared what next week will bring.

7 Likes

Wednesday 5km Rowing 21 minutes
Dug out the Water rower and set it up for a quick after work spin/pull!

Thursday Cerro Xecon Sweetspot 60 min
Felt good, added some extra percentage and turned it into threshold & Sweetspot.

Friday - Rest day, some more DIY!

Saturday - 30km Trail run (4hrs)
Got the train south to Droitwich and ran back nice and easy following the Monarchs Way, some parts were testing as some fields I had to fight my way through crops cutting my legs, they were as high as me! Other parts over grown and numerous Nettle stings.

Regardless it was an real enjoyable run back home and will do it again soon, looking at map I can miss out this part for a little extra distance

Sunday - 12km Trail run
Sunday morning run before it got too hot, a enjoyable run with other half to the top of the local hill.

6 Likes

Red Lake +4 (fail)

I do not recover like I used to. Sick kiddo and a full day on Saturday meant I missed my sweet spot workout. I reschedule it to yesterday, which normally wouldn’t be that big of a deal. I’ve been taking Sundays off, though, so I could sleep in and spend more time with the family. Did an easy 40-min gravel ride with my boys yesterday and a two-hour kayak with the wife, also easy.

However, nearly three hours in the sun after the SS workout was a bit much. I crashed hard after bedtime routine with the kiddos and should have slept in and just skipped this workout. Work travel this week and next are messing with my training, though. I need to just accept that occasionally a workout needs to give in favor of recovery. I’m not frustrated that I failed this (especially since I just did Red Lake +8 on Friday - no idea why AI gave it to me again), but I am upset at my poor decision making and the possibility that it costs me another workout. :rage:

7 Likes

Don’t worry about it, we all have days like that, onwards and upwards :+1:

2 Likes

First failed workout of the season. Hard as hell :hot_face:

6 Likes

Catch-up post. 60 Minute Sweet Spot Interval at 90% of FTP, and came in as a solid Moderate.

Followed that up with a day off, long day outside yesterday, and recovery ride today.

Feeling good on the bike!

7 Likes

It seems Red Lake +4 is basically the same super high VO2 max intensity as Red Lake +8 just without the endurance bit at the end. So in terms of intensity, AI seems wacky giving you them back to back.

2 Likes

Good job hanging in for almost an hour!

2 Likes

Agreed!

Boltinghouse. Working on making the cool down a cool down… hard to not ride for “fun” when the weather is good.

8 Likes

Yes, the truth is that I was not very focused and the 4/6 interval I finished exhausted, almost unable to pedal and a little dizzy, with an upset stomach. Today I didn’t do anything and tomorrow I’ll go out to see if I feel well and it was just a bad day…

7 minutes above FTP hurts

One of those workouts that I thought I’d quit during the warmup, but sort of just managed to take each one as it came. Told myself I’d drop to 95% for the last three, then last two, then by the time it was the last one I just gritted my teeth.

Rated Very Hard, as couldn’t have done another interval and wanted AT to give me something a hair easier last time.

Uhh… no, that’s not how it’s meant to work…

8 Likes

I think the threshold workouts are deceptively painful. You look at it and it seems ok, but as you say:

Totally agree. Hope you recover well.

1 Like

Starr King +1

7 Likes

Starr King +1

Like @Neuromancer I rated this one Very Hard. Also not sure I could have done another interval. 5x10 to 3x16 threshold seems like a large jump but AT got another one right.

EDIT: I can tell I’m hurting when my cadence starts dropping off during recovery intervals.

6 Likes

I feel like I am a good physiological experiment right now. This is apparently what can happen when you do not train for about half a year and you are 52 years old. I am basically back to the beginning. I didn’t reset my FTP or anything, but definitely these level 1-ish workouts are about right for me. This didn’t hurt but it wasn’t actually easy either.

8 Likes