What workout did you do today? (2021, part 1)

Wright Peak -2

Bumped the first 15 minutes of each set up into true sweet spot territory, and the final 10 minutes overall.

18 Likes

Palisade today, a good hour and a half of over unders. Extended with a further 30 minutes of endurance. Total TSS for the week 459 (LV SSB2, one race, a short outside ride and a couple of Z1 recovery rides).

8 Likes

Schedule had North Pack, but after spending about 7 hours helping the kids declutter and clean their rooms, I needed something with a bit more gusto. Found a suitable course on BigRingVR, and set the cruise control between 300-310 for just shy of 90min. “Warm up? We don’t need no stinking warm up.” :sweat_smile: I think the hardest part mentally was not having it split into smaller, bite-size chunks. At the 45min marking I was thinking, “yay, I’m halfway” and “oh God, I’m only halfway.” I think if something like this is split into 6x15min chunks, it’s mentally more manageable than just one long effort. Stating the obvious I’m sure, but it was my takeaway from the workout.

12 Likes

9 Likes

Hesperus today

14 Likes

15 minute warmup followed by Juneau +1…looking forward to the recovery week starting tomorrow, but I know by Wednesday night I’ll be itching to get back at it.

14 Likes

Highland, 5 hours of endurance work. Running Z letting it control the trainer while I shoot for my targets, got tired of that after about 4 hours and switched over to ERG.

19 Likes

Hawk Mountain today, didn’t make it through Mitchell or Junction so decided to do this endurance ride to recoup. Did well here, just goes to show I really need more work on my top end

11 Likes

Mary Austin +1

Lungs felt pretty good. Really working on belly breathing.

Last two intervals started the legs burning.

The Chorus of We Won’t Stop helped me get through. - Justin Mylo – Won't Stop Lyrics | Genius Lyrics

14 Likes

Moring all …Geiger +2 Sweet Spot workout this morning. A good Workout, like the variation within the 12 min segments that lends itself to alternating between the Hoods & Drops. The Warm-up phase is a bit short for early morning resulting in a bit of initial effort to get going but otherwise a rewarding session, feeling VG throughout …

15 Likes

Settled at 98-99% for repeatability. Happy with that level of compliance.

15 Likes

Ramp test. Added 11 watts. 139 to 150. Whoo hoo!
Couple of thoughts on my second ramp test ever:

• Extended my time from 17 minutes on the first test to 20 on today’s test. Yea me.
  • Although adding watts is great, I felt slow and my legs felt heavy coming off of a recovery week. I might do my next ramp test in the middle or end of a recovery week.
  • Or I might do a Sunday opener workout with some short, high intensity work, just to get the lungs and mind prepped. After a month of just base work, the ramp test felt horrible at the top end.
  • I switched back to a carb based diet after week of keto. My performance was suffering too much. As expected, my weight jumped up 5lbs over the weekend.
  • I have a long way to go with dropping weight and adding watts to make it to the bottom of the barrel cat 5 w/kg chart. Boo me.
  • Short term goal 2w/kg, intermediate goal 2.5w/kg, long term goal 3w/kg and hold it.

18 Likes

Fletcher today for the first session in my recovery week…average power was mid Z2 and average HR was high Z1. Rest day tomorrow.

11 Likes

Brand new to TR (and cycling in general). Did the ramp test today as part of starting SSB LV part 1.

Good news, I did a pretty good job of estimating my FTP (300->304), I think. Bad news, I didn’t realize I had to stop entirely to trigger the cooldown. I imagine this doesn’t affect the FTP calculation because it’s using the highest power readings?

Followed up with Dans as a 30 min recovery spin.

15 Likes

What charting program is that? Looks cool.

intervals.icu

This is @davidtinker’s program.

3 Likes

Correct, it does not affect it…uses the highest 1 minute power @ 75%.

Great job…welcome aboard!

4 Likes

Nice wattage bump!

In my experience, I’ve done better on fresh legs after a recovery week. Last time I did the ramp test off of a really hard ride and only one day of rest and really under performed. I took two more days to rest, got in the right state of mind and saw a 9 watt bump.

That 5 lbs is probably just water weight associated with storing carbs. The trade off will be being able to perform better. I remember trying to do a tennis / fitness performance camp off a keto diet and it just sucked. I had to take in some carbs to be able to perform.

FWIW - I’m just barely scaping 2 w/kg on a good day, so not everyone one on TR is a 5 w/kg pro. Keep with it!

4 Likes

Excellent!
Thank you, I’m looking forward to some fun training.

Swapped out Pettit for something slightly different this morning…Colosseum -2. First time I have done this ride but did the trick. Now to prepare myself for Spencer +2 tomorrow morning. Topping up my carbs this evening in anticipation :grinning:

15 Likes