What workout did you do today? (2020, part 2)

Bravo :clap:

1 Like

Wow! That deserves some extra kudos :+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

Holy crap!

If Lamarck gives a good estimation of FTP then I’ve just gone up 10.3% to 384😊

Intervals.icu had me at 378 but I didn’t believe it. I’ll wait until next week’s ramp test before making any changes.

It’s nice and all that, but not what I need going into Build stage

20 Likes

6 hours!!! Wow!! :+1::+1::+1: Super @Joris818!

I don’t think I could do anything for 6 hours straight.

It definitely looks like your killed that workout! Nice!!!

1 Like

Easy spin before a weekend off the trainer for me:

11 Likes

Wrapped up SSBLV2 (my 2nd time) with Leconte to head into a well needed rest week. Really struggled through this one today and I saw it coming as I was grinding through Lamarck a couple days back.

15 Likes

Been waiting to do this one for a while - it didn’t disappoint

was worried about my legs in the first couple of intervals having played golf and carried my bag for 18 holes yesterday but they came good in the end

16 Likes

Eclipse after palisade yesterday ! Followed with 4x8 squats . Rest day tomorrow :crazy_face:

12 Likes

More sweet spot, found it hard enough to make a difference. Intervals icu had me at - 1.3% decoupling so all good. Onwards.

14 Likes

I like swapping out a workout just to do one you’ve not done before. The 1 min intervals at 115-130% were my first time above threshold for a while - ouch!

Been feeling fatigued over the last couple of days - the longer hours are catching up with me (normally in the 7.5-10 hour range, and on course for 13 hours this week plus weights). Next week I’ll do some Tuesday SST, then go shorter and easier for the rest of the week.

17 Likes

Gabb was on deck today, did it on the usual out and back stretch, bit of a challenge to keep the wattage up on the longer ones. For the 2x8min sets at the end, I went up a mild climb that I often use, too, takes 17-19 minutes depending on pace (had a headwind today), and only let off the gas a little bit for the recovery between those, made it a single 20min interval instead. I am looking forward to being done with the specialty phase though!

12 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

2x25 at 96% for 50 minutes of threshold. Not too difficult, just the final five minutes which seems to be the theme for me with this threshold progression. I think tomorrow I’ll stick with another 50 minute threshold work but with shorter intervals, probably 5x10 minutes. Then I want to give 1x45 a go next Tuesday with a goal of 1x60 in the near future!

18 Likes

Ericsson
Was going to delay this until tomorrow, but have eaten too many sweets today so by 7:30pm felt guilty and got changed…

Maybe I should have waited until my dinner had gone down as I had a curry at 6:30pm but all good, pushed out a good steady last lap of the volcano on final interval, 115%, easy/rest day tomorrow.

14 Likes

3,5h@75% FTP. Next time will be 4h. Not especially hard to be honest. Decoupling 2,5% so also okish. To summarise - just another boring base ride :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Week in review:
Telework week so no commutes. Monday nothing on the MVSSB1 plan builder for April Crits, so I put in my 75 minute “routine builder”:

Tuesday Carson, pretty plain Jane:

Wednesday, I substituted my routine builder 75 for petit -1 because I wanted the additional saddle
time, but ended up getting some work calls. I think I still ended up covering the primary goal of the scheduled workout - active recovery, I just didn’t get the saddle time I wanted.

Thursday I had taken some vacation time when we were planning on traveling, so I wanted to get in the workout and then add volume. So I did the scheduled antelope-4:

As you see, I decided that it felt too easy. (When I re-tested after a one week break not too long ago, I only did the ramp test, which was resulted in a lower FTP than I’d been training at, but still the highest ramp suggested number ever. I left the FTP setting where it had been, a handful of watts higher than the ramp test, but likely a little too low.) And so I decided to see what a 10 minute interval would feel like in mental prep for whenever I take another 20 minute test. I really felt that interval, as I should have, and you see the final interval was the only one that barely held the target wattage.
Then, I added 75 minutes of outdoor, rainy and nearly raining riding on my old cx bike (no power, but very low zone 2 by heart rate and skills on wet leaves were the real goals).

Friday the plan calls for an off day, but off days are for hangovers and travel days, and I wasn’t traveling or hung over. I picked up my regular CX bike from the bike shop, rode home (10 rainy minutes) and then managed to ride petite -1 close to the intended intensity, but I still managed to pick up 7 extra TSS somehow (34 vs 27).

Saturday tends to be the keystone workout during this MV-SSB1 plan as built. PALISADE.

I was prepared to struggle bus in the back 3/5 intervals, but then I reminded myself that I’d just recently completed a 10 minute solid interval just above where the overs would be, so getting a few short reprieves should get me through the first 3/5. (Confidence in progression, accidentally from what was prescribed as SS only).

I was pleasantly surprised with my performance today. Upon further review, I missed one sweet spot 1:00 by three watts. Every other interval exceeded the target by a more significant amount. The final over 2:00, I asked, “Why not see if I can add something?” So I rode as hard as I thought as I could hold for two minutes. Instead of riding 105% FTP, I was able to ride about 116% to finish it off.

Tomorrow, I have Eclipse on the schedule (3x20 @ SS). I don’t foresee any issues (knocks on wood). And hopefully I’ll get my kids out for a dry outside ride. Total TSS will be somewhere in the 590 range and saddle time will be just over 10 hours (plus whatever the family ride takes). That’s a good week in my mind. I’ll update if there’s some sort of flame out, or I really deviate from the plan.
Edit:
No full family ride due to rain and crap-weather.
No deviation, I just wanted to update with the kid birthday party ride-by (nominal 1 TSS) and Eclipse ended up exactly at 590 TSS for the week.

13 Likes

Antelope for me today:

Did well, but multiple equipment issues meant it was a bit spotty. Time to change out all the batteries methinks.

In other news, this is the same ride but shown in intervals.icu:

Pretty! Same ride mind. I wish you got extra TSS for the number of different programs you examine your ride in…

12 Likes

I get extra stress from it, you don’t?

Its just not training stress… Its marital stress and parenting stress, and letting my low sprint power get to me.

2 Likes

@FatherDamo2 this happens to me all too often…the evening guilt sets in!

1 Like