What workout did you do today? (2020, part 2)

Endurance day. Drops>Hoods>Drops>Hoods. Rinse and repeat. Felt good :+1:

13 Likes

Yesterday and this morning.

Its only been 10 days but I’m 100% sure my ftp is already very much up.

15 Likes

Final work week of this base block, and thought I’d better remind my legs about threshold before I FTP test. Was pretty hard - guess that’s what lifting does to the legs. The break in the middle felt a bit long, need to reduce it by a couple of minutes.

15 Likes

There was no way I was going to do another VO2 workout today. I kept telling myself it was the last one in the block and the shortest length of interval, but I still bailed. I then bartered that I would at least try to do some sweet spot-ish riding during the Zwift event.

Despite how fatigued and heavy my legs felt I was able to hold almost 90% for 40 minutes and at 98rpm, which is at least 5-7rpm higher than my usual preference with SS and threshold work. So I was pleasantly surprised and excited to see what I can do once I’m recovered from this VO2 block (that I didn’t even finish, mind you!).

If I can manage to get above 210w FTP that will be my highest true* ever indoor training FTP. true* because I had it set at 210-215 in the past but sweet spot was more like threshold and I couldn’t even complete any workout that was suprathreshold, so it was falsely too high.

10 Likes

Monday morning I did a virtual Stelvio on RGT. Tuesday was a cycling club 10 mile TT challenge. Then Wednesday morning brought Avalanche spire -1, that’s enough for me, five days at work now. Onwards.

13 Likes

This is really helpful information! Thank you.

2 Likes

Bashful today. As part of Coach Chad’s informal short FTP boost plan or as I like to call it “did a run block, need to remember how to work on the bike again plan”.

14 Likes

Dardanelles-2 was in my calendar tonight but with my CT scan having put back my 20mins test to yesterday I deliberately set out with the goal of being 100% for the first 3rd and not to push too hard after that and risk injury. It was also fasted so I wouldn’t be making noise too late into the evening. So I wasn’t expecting much.
I aimed after the 1st block to drop to 90% on the 2nd block, did 93% of the target (just below my new ftp and 100% of my old FTP); for
3rd block I aimed for around 80%, did just over that 80.8% of the target (just above the FTP); and for
4th 12minutes block I aimed for 75% and did 80% of the target (just above the FTP).
Surprisingly I also did 48 x 2020 best (most things from 42minutes to 1h15m. Not quite a post op bests though :grinning:

I’m away for some Soreen bread now, a chicken, mushroom and spinach omelette wasn’t enough :joy:

11 Likes

Got some PRs, felt good, then cracked. After getting 7-8 hrs of sleep each night last week, I have regressed to 5hrs/night this week.

On the plus side, this means I should probably just go to bed. :yawning_face::sleeping::zzz:

12 Likes

Palisade. Didn’t die. McAdie +1 seems hard to comprehend next week on a compressed schedule.

11 Likes

Hawk Mountain on the “Tour of Fire and Ice” route.

15 Likes

4x8 @ 108% :hot_face:

That’s me done. I even gave the good lady wife a time to come and collect my body from the garage, should I not emerge :joy:

17 Likes

Williamson of a… +2

Glad I’m working from home, it means i can have my pillow on my desk.
:sleeping:

14 Likes

Avalanche Spire +2, subbing in for +1 to get the full hour and a half:

I feel like I took the first four to warm up and then flew through the last two. Felt like an absolute boss on the last one, which is not usually how over/unders end for me :laughing:

15 Likes

In week 2 of SSBMV1, and I’ll be honest, it’s mentally a bit tough to be coming from the hard specialty workouts and long outdoor SS and Threshold intervals, and “dropping down” to the easy workouts at the beginning of base. 6 week TSS average has been 540-580, so I’ve consistently been doing more than the plan, but with the weather getting crappy and the daylight hours fewer, it’s a bit harder to get out for longer outdoor rides. I do look forward to the weekends when I can usually get in a 3-5 hour ride Saturday or Sunday.

For example, Tuesday was supposed to be Ericsson with 64 TSS and 0.80 IF, 4x8min SS intervals. Aaaand I substituted in Tallac instead, 4x15 for 76 TSS and 0.86 IF (close enough, right?)

Yesterday I waited until the kiddos were in bed, and at 9pm did Carson as scheduled (with the instructions turned on, so low cadence):

10 Likes

Gibbs for what feels like the 27th time in this base block - nice easy Friday ride, but my legs are feeling a bit wrecked especially after a rubbish night’s sleep. 2 workouts to go!

13 Likes

Geiger - https://www.trainerroad.com/app/career/bobw/rides/94729799-geiger This obviously sits at the upper limit of Z3/tempo so with pushing things a bit I actually spent more time in Z4/threshold, ah well. My time in sweet spot was only slightly more so in the right ballpark.

Comparing it with last year (I just happen to be doing the same plan/workouts exactly a year apart) I’m about 16% higher Watts :+1:, a year ago those power figures would have meant being well in the VO2max zone.

10 Likes

Galena for Antelope -4 in SSB1MV. All good in the hood.

10 Likes

Broke through my SS barrier today. I’ve been stuck on 2x45 for at least two weeks. Eventually, fatigue would set in. Today I went 1x95, with 0% HR coupling and no issues. The magic ingredient? 110g of maltodextrin:fructose mix. Wot no fatigue?! I am also positive my FTP is off at least a little.

Next up, recovery week and then the second half of GPBHV. Looking forward to building my battery as I’m pretty sure it’s rubbish!

15 Likes

Got a damn flat 5 minutes before last interval… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth: still finished

I was meant to do 1 hour of endurance at the end of this.

So now I have to do 3x20 tomorrow and then 2 hours of z2. Pretty mad

14 Likes