What workout did you do today? (2018/2019)

I find Pettit mentally more challenging than any Sweet Spot work, don’t let it get you down :v:

3 Likes

That is true. Time drags in zone 2. It seems to fly along at higher power outputs.

Starr King

6 Likes

Starting the daily trailer pull on the bike this week (about 4.x km daily pulling 60lbs of kids) .

It’s a bit more tiring than i remembered which means my legs will get used to it.

Swam last night, tried my new snorkel for the first time but failed miserably! I do one lap, turn around and blurblblblbllblblblbcoughcoughcough… i gotta work on expelling more i guess?

Once i get the hang of it though i can see how it’s going to improve my stroke.

goddard. looks a little funny with one sided powermeter…
ssb1 lv is really starting to get at me by now.

4 Likes

Taper week before a B race this Saturday so I did this one.

5 Likes

Ansel Adams -2. Crushed it, and pretty happy about it. Had been having a bit of a hard time adjusting to the short power build. Last couple weeks have been outside more, and subbed a handful of outdoor rides for TR ones on the trainer. It was nice to finish up what will likely be the last structured ride of the plan on a high note. Taking the next 2 days off, then Barry Roubaix 62 mile saturday, then rest week.

9 Likes

Mount Hayes -2. Week 1 Century speciality LV.

Increased my FTP by 50watts in the ramp test at the start of this week. First workout since then. I found it very tough and even considered quitting during the last interval of the warmup but i managed to power through. The last work interval was very tough mentally but i managed to finish it out.

6 Likes

Only got three or four hours sleep last night due to stress, so RPE was way up today…

Lunch Run: 4.8km, flat, 1.8km easy, 3km at 10k/half mara pace…should have kept it to mara pace…:grimacing:

Evening Bike: Ragged
An aptly name session. It looked innocuous…an ‘easy’ session…then it ran me ragged. Oof! That last 15mins at FTP did me in, I had to break twice to finish :blush:

Watched the end of the first FB recording of IM South Africa…inspiring, even if those gals and guys are pushing twice my watts at half my weight!

3 Likes

Freel for me today, struggled with VO2 Max and anaerobic interviews due to too little sleep and work stress. Decided to try an “easier” session to build confidence by completing a workout - felt really hard but got it done and now feel great !

3 Likes

Cruised through Lamarck today. Legs were fine with 4x10 @ FTP, bored stupid though

Lamarck

6 Likes

22%20PM
Kaweah, same thing happened to when I did Palasades two wks ago. My legs quit after an hr of threshold or sweetspot. I reduced the last interval by 7% and couldn’t even hold that. My pulse wouldn’t even rise to the previous level.

3 Likes

4 Likes

I did everyone’s favorite: Mary Austin in the morning. I was going to do Baxter after but slept in so had to leave it with just a single.

3300 lunch swim and a 40min run to finish off the day

4 Likes

Today

Yesterday

6 Likes

Ramp test this morning. Woke up with DOMS in hamstrings and glutes after Tuesday’s strength training (those deadlifts!) but it didn’t affect the test. The previous test was 258 W on the 5th of Feb but without recovery week after SSB1 (I raised the FTP to 263 W manually). Since then I did SSB2, two big weeks on Mallorca and a recovery week afterwards. Today’s 273 W is more in line with my outdoor (climbing) FTP of 290 W. I haven’t done an FTP test outside but rode some climbs hard and Golden Cheetah is always conservative in the estimate.

Did Volunteer afterwards instead of a cooldown.

8 Likes

Donner.

I get a little almost-panicky when my heart rate gets up over 180, feel like I can’t catch my breath even with the magical belly-breathing technique. My legs feel tired but not crushed, so I think my lungs are just paying for decades of unfitness.

6 Likes

Swim 2200
800 WU
6x100 @1:38-1:43 mod/hard
2x 200 PB easy
400 WD

Run Zwift, 20mins easy

1 Like

Pierce

After reading this thread:

I got curious. So I tried alternating between the big ring and the small ring for each set of intervals. It was quite educational! I found the big ring to be mentally much easier because it required much less concentration on keeping a smooth pedal stroke and required less core stabilization for the same power output when compared to the small ring. The small ring on the other hand really exposed how ugly (i.e. inefficient) my pedaling would become when fatigued or when trying to put out the big watts.

6 Likes

I am the other way around. I do big ring occasionally because I know it is my weakness but my quads start to burn at much lower intensities. When I am trying to produce my best power small chain ring is the way to go (and easiest cog that the brake will handle for that wattage).

Do you produce your best power on the flats or on the climbs?