What to eat to suffice hunger/cravings

This is so true for me. I can find myself eating everything in sight to try to find what my body is looking for, and after a lot of trial and error have found that it’s almost always salt.

I just discovered raw carrots and peanut butter! Seems to have filled a hole.

1 Like

I prefer a good hummus with raw carrots.

Well obviously the most important thing is fueling enough so that your don’t feel the need to binge. However, with that being said, I am a sucker for popcorn. Usually I am craving something salty and a bag of popcorn (not eating the uber buttered kind) usually hits the spot. Plus it’s a lot of volume which helps. Hell it is my after dinner go to if I am craving something, especially because I know the carbs will go to good use on my morning ride.

And unhealthy Fat, nice though

1 Like

Eat more frequently throughout the day. Eat between meals and it should keep you from crashing. I eat before I get hungry. If this doesn’t work, add more calories your main meals. I usually eat something healthy.

You could try reducing the intensity of your rides if they’re causing you to feel more hungry than usual

Carbonated water.

1 Like

A lot of helpful suggestions, I normally do fuel my workouts/rides with 90-100g carbs per hour but there are just them days where I know I haven’t got it right and by the afternoon/evening I’m reaching for anything I can get my hands on which usually ends up being something bad LOL.

I too workout in the morning so I cant fuel 3 hours before, but if know it’s a long ride then I will eat a meal as soon as I wake up which is usually a bowl of oats with a banana or something.

I like the popcorn suggestions, something filling and not over the top in calories. Just looking for them magically low calorie foods that fill you up :slight_smile:

nuts

Nuts are very calorie dense though, I find myself eating to many at one time.

1 Like

same here
They do have fat & proteins so it’s not just carbs.

sometimes i think i crave salt more than food.

1 Like

Congrats - you’re training a lot!

The most satiating foods contain either lots of fiber and water, or protein. Popcorn is super high in fiber. In other words, make sure you are eating enough whole unprocessed, nutrient-dense food. That should make the junk cravings subside. I have found personally that it’s better to add in an extra small real food meal than binge on cookies! (I mean, absolutely nothing wrong with cookies! They just won’t fix your hunger though).

Also, listen to the suggestions here to make sure you’re fueling your rides > 1hr long.

Carbs don’t make your teeth rot.

Yes they do fortunately because else I would be out of a job…

Based on your posts, I’ve always wondered if you were in dentistry. Now I know!

The number of calories on the package may not be the number of calories you absorb. Nuts in particular are not just a source of fiber, but they also can pass through partially digested. The calories on the package include those calories that you pass through un-digested. Also they are a source of protein. Protein takes additional calories to convert to fuel and so those calories don’t count either. I’m not saying even after that Nuts are a no-brainer, but not as bad as they appear.

both dentistry and medicine too actually but nowadays I just stick to dentistry and yes all fermentable carbs can feed your cariogenic bacteria and aid in forming/continuing a caries lesion

Does this mean one needs to stop eating Frosties in bed after having brushed the teeth?

Asking for a friend of course…

Jokes aside, my mother also works in dentistry, and here in Sweden the recommendation is to limit the daily exposure to sugar, especially in kids.

Are there any guidelines and/or advise for us endurance athletes who’s lives are pretty much one big carb food session? Brush more? Listerine after workout with sports drink? Etc.

2 Likes

Actually, I think we’ve been told we’re better off brushing BEFORE we eat the sugar, which was a real :exploding_head: for me

1 Like