What to eat during before/during/after those hard workouts

Hi all,
I have been using Trainerroad for more than 2 years, a great tool.
First question: who likes to train more inside then outside? I just cannot seem to find a good ride here in my area to really do those wattages and stay within the limit. I go always to high. I am getting really addicted to those numbers.

Second question, like most people I work 5 days a week, 10 hours a day. For me it is very difficult to really get those workouts in my schedule and to really understand how to eat to perform and have the right nutrition afterwards. I assume a lot of people have those same issues?

I was looking at drinking stuff like this:

But what then afterwards?

What time of day do you ride?

I ride first thing in the morning before getting ready for work. For high intensity rides the following day, I make sure that I have something decent (mostly making sure I have good carbs) to eat the night before.

In the morning, what I eat pre-ride is based on this “formula” (10 mins to wake up, get up, eat, get on the bike):

• Easy/Aerobic ride: glass of water, nothing else
  • High intensity ride (1 hr): 1 slice of multigrain toast with honey, cup of coffee
  • High intensity ride (>1 hr): 2 slices of multigrain toast with honey, cup of coffee

Post-ride breakfast (or rest day) I have the same thing:

• Overnight oats (1/4 cup oats, 1/4 cup eggwhites, 1/4 cup water, scoop greek yogurt, small handful of raisins, 1 banana grated, 1 small apple grated, cinnamon; all mixed together in a bowl and left in the refrigerator overnight)
  • Water
5 Likes

Thanks. Looks great that overnight oats bowl.
Most of the time I ride around 7 PM in the evening hence the hassle.

For evenings, then it depends on your lifestyle.

If it was just me, I’d do the same above but post-ride would be dinner. So, some pre-ride meal with simple carbs to juice my system, then do the ride and have dinner as post-ride. I’d be looking for a good mix of macros; lots of vegetables, some rice and egg/chicken I think would be my go-to.

If you have kids or people you want to have an evening meal with, then riding at 7pm introduces a timing issue. With a ride at 7, you’d be looking to have a meal somewhere in the 4-5pm range or between 8-9pm. Not all that social if young kids are involved. I’m guessing since you’re riding at 7pm, this might not be your situation. If you have full control of your evenings I’d be looking at a meal (vegetables, rice, chicken for example) further out from your ride (4-5pm) and then a top-up post-ride (bowl with greek yogurt, banana, oats, almonds) at around 8:30-9:00pm. Alternatively you could grab some simple carbs just before your ride, then have the main meal post-ride.

:face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

Eat normal healthy food. Use your teeth.

Before a workout (2-3 hours before if possible), have a carb-heavy meal. Oats in the morning, fruit toast, bagels, whatever. Filling and not too sugary. Note that if your workout is after work, this is on top of your lunch, not instead of it.

During, have energy drink and gels (adjust amount depending on length and intensity of workout).

After a hard workout, have some more energy drink with a scoop of plain whey protein powder thrown in. Then a healthy meal a little later. If the workout is easy, then a healthy meal should be fine.

1 Like

I usually ride even later than you (last night I started Bashful+6 at about 9:30 PM).
I’ll usually do dinner with the family between 7 and 8, then I give that an hour or so to “settle”.
After rides, I just do a whey protean shake with almond milk, frozen berries and about a tablespoon of peanut butter.

Agree with this. If you feel like you don’t have enough time to make a meal during the week that uses real food, I would look at making meals ahead of time so all you have to do is heat them up. Check out the meal prep thread here.

1 Like

I try to have some form of carbs 2-3 hours before an evening ride - sweet potato, oatmeal, maybe some roasted beets

During gels/bars/skratch depending on intensity and duration

After I always quickly do a bowl of oatmeal with a scoop of chocolate whey and either a banana or (since they are in season) chopped strawberries mixed in

All of this in addition to three meals a day

Possibly stupid (and definitely off-topic) question but how do you go about putting your egg whites in your overnight oats? Scramble them and then put them in? Or raw?

Thanks in advance,

Raw. It sounds like it would be gross, but you can’t taste it, I promise.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll give it a whirl!

I laughed at that one. Plus the three little men above that.

It’s a serious point, too, of course.

Food should be a joy. It should be an exciting, literally sensual combination of smell, taste, and texture. The feel of biting into a crisp juicy apple, or slurping a noodle into your mouth, or tearing into and chewing through a bagel, is a pleasure no person should go without, whatever the nutritional benefit the tube of branded slop promises you.

4 Likes