What to do with race data? (.95 IF for 2 hours)

Hi everyone,

What should I take away from this data? If there is any takeaways. Surely having .95 IF for two hours means something. Is my ftp set to low?

I did a 80km race on Saturday.
FTP is 296
NP was 282
IF was .95
For 1:53:35

First lap of 20km was NP 314 at a time of 27:51.

I have been racing and trainer for years but never really analyzed the race data just kept on training and riding. Finally get back into it and trying to get to my best after taking it easy since Covid.

Just curious! Thanks to TR for getting me this fit!

3 Likes

If I did that I’d probably flex on this forum :wink:

Joe

13 Likes

Haha it’s hard to ask for help and it not be taken that way. If this was Reddit I’d be downvoted to hell I’m sure.

6 Likes

Yeah! That’s huge.

To answer OP question, I guess it depends on how you define FTP. Is it one hour power? Or 95% of 20 m power?

And what do you want to use this figure for? My assumption is that you could easily raise your setting in TR for workouts and continue to pass them. Or you could just let TR auto detect and adjust everything for you.

1 Like

I agree, the easy thing is to let aiftp tell you. Course you could always ramp test just for the hell of it too.

Joe

Yeah, that’s solid for 2 hours of racing. Was there a lot of surging? I’ve found that big race efforts with a lot of surging (like the first 30-60 minutes of gravel races) can result in NP numbers that are a bit overstated in comparison to FTP. I’ve done a few races where my NP was over FTP for the first hour of a 3 hour race. They were hard efforts, but not hard like riding an hour at FTP.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m not sure. I’ve always used 20 min power to set FTP. Never really gave it much thought what holding this kinda of power for multiple hours could mean for FTP.

I used to do weekly 50-60 min crits, so I always had plenty of data to go off.
I’ve moved, and racing is far between now so I think it’s more important to pay attention to it when I get it.

Happy to let AI do its thing because so far I’m happy with. Last week it was a bump from 294 to 296. Couldn’t hurt for a small bump to 300 at least. Would rather be slightly under than over and dig a hole.

1 Like

It was a handcap race so just rolling through. No covering attacks. Smaller surges just to keep the group going.

End of lap 1 had a prime so there is a 30 second surge at the end.

I think your approach is good. In Zwift, I do the Alp climb, which typically takes me 53+ minutes and I use that as a signal for FTP/1 hr power.

I like using a couple different fatigue markers throughout the race, identify some possible weakness points. If you can look at your percent of heart rate drift is a common one, but that’s generally better for steady outputs and if temperature is not too variable.

Alternatively look at all the times you were above FTP for sustained time or for sprints and what happens after. Do you stay strong? What happened at those points during the race? It gets a little more qualitative but it’s useful to identify improvement points

1 Like

Solid thinking. I know during the event I was just thinking crap I should have done more threshold work.

But I’ll look over it like you stated and see what I can figure out.

What was your average power?

2 Likes

A hero day, or a consistent performance? A few years back I did a 25miles TT at an IF of 1.19 for 56.59 which suggested my FTP was higher than what I train at, however whilst the speed/result corresponded to the increase in power I think it was a one off, hero day and wouldn’t have been sustainable.

How much time was spent coasting or in z1? Is your PM set to include or exclude zeroes? I’ve certainly found my NP on race days to be a bit misleading in terms of the ~threshold power I’m able to hold in training. Partly because as mentioned above those days can be hero efforts where I’m fresh, fuelled and highly motivated and end up digging much deeper than is sustainable in everyday training. And partly because I do seem better suited (through training and/or nature) to those repeated hard efforts and recoveries than to sustained ~threshold efforts. And know people who are the opposite (often with a TT or triathlon background) who will happily sit at high SS or threshold but blow up very quickly when the pace gets quicker and they’re having to surge repeatedly above threshold to do turns or react to accelerations.

I wouldn’t worry about this. 4W at 300 is well within almost all PM’s margin of error. And while 0.95NP for 2 hours is a seriously hard effort I wouldn’t say it’s totally out of line for an all out 2 hours.

Now, if it felt like a completely manageable ride then I might consider retesting your FTP.

This is a good question…

Joe

AVG power was 254. 8 mins of coasting and NP does not include powers. I’ve always had it not included and used the avg power to then include zeros.

1 Like

Hey Joe answered that above this comment now.

1 Like

nice work! Would help if you could post a screenshot from TR or Intervals or TrainingPeaks or …

if I’m following:

• FTP is 296
  • average power was 254
  • NP was 282
  • IF was .95 (282/296)
  • For 1:53:35
  • First lap of 20km was NP 314 at a time of 27:51

Other than give you a high five, hard to say anything without looking at power timeline and zone breakdown and maybe one or two other things.

1 Like

Does this work? Log In to TrainerRoad