What’s better in the eyes of AT?

Sure it does, same as it detects when you do less…

3 Likes

Theres a round about way to get this PL as you have completed it. I did it just yesterday
Download the fit file from strava
Open in Notepad and delete the word “TrainerRoad” from the end of the file
-This part prevents the file from being imported manually into TR

Then create the workout in training peaks or workout creator. Schedule it for today
Then import your fit file and then match it with the workout and complete the survey

1 Like

I had the exact same experience as the OP. Taylor -2 was really easy, even bumping the following sets to 110%. Marked the assigned workout as easy, and as the VO2 progression level went up the following workouts were harder and felt more rewarding. Taylor is early in a lot of training plans as one of the easier VO2 workouts only being 2.2-3.4.

For me, it was about 6 months of not doing VO2 work that resulted in a low PL when it is one of my strengths and now is my highest PL.

Put that on a god damn t-shirt!!!

1 Like

Major caveat to that. Depends on what ‘significantly’ means - 10% is pretty significant.

Blockquote Significantly higher/lower power compared to the prescribed target power of a workout may move the workout outside its originally intended power zone. Adaptive Training does not currently recognize when this occurs, but we plan to address this with future product updates.

Not really a major caveat. It’s referring to not seeing a workout change from sweet spot to threshold or vice versa or whatever else. The type and PL of the work out stays the same but it still takes into account the extra work, or less work.

THANK YOU, that was exactly what i was looking for. Many have made claim here that AT does not take this into account, but have not provided the source for this claim. This makes it very clear:

How should you respond to a Survey if you go harder/easier than what your workout prescribes?

The survey response should reflect the work you completed during the workout. For instance, if you increase the intensity, answer how the workout felt to you at that increased intensity and not based on how the workout felt in relation to the original intensity.

Remember, there’s no need to overthink it. Just give a quick snapshot response according to how you felt overall, and Adaptive Training will do the rest.

3 Likes

Kicking this thread again, as I have not seen any adjustments in PL due to changes in intensity made in a workout.
Can someone provide a screenshot that shows this happening in a meaningful way? Below is a ride I did this morning. Garrowby -1. I rode at sweetspot during the rest periods, and the 2nd two sets I rode at 94% of FTP, rather than 88,90, and 92 that was prescribed. I am not surprised that skipping the rests is ignored, but I would expect increasing the level of SS intervals by an average of 4% would. I tried to keep the increases within the SS range so they wouldn’t get ignored by being a ‘threshold’ interval.
Maybe this does work, but I have not seen it in any workouts I have increased the difficult of.
It was rated a 4.2, and I got 4.2 even with the significant increase in interval power.

Are other people getting a PL of greater than the standard workout when increasing the difficulty?

• No, they cannot… because it’s not happening AFAIK.
  • The SuperPass that kicks up PL above the initial prescription is still unseen from what I know.
  • No.
1 Like

Thanks Chad, this has been annoying as a number of people have claimed it works, although I have never seen it and I frequently adjust the workout %.
I’m fine with waiting for this to be fixed when outside rides are supported, but some clear communication of “workout PL is the most you will ever get” would be nice. (And if this statement isn’t correct, then some detailed descriptions with examples of how it actually does work.) I see a bunch of ‘missing features’ (superpass, properly handling custom workouts, handling skipped rests, etc) as largely being subsets of unstructured rides being processed for PL adjustment, and I think getting unstructured rides analyzed well is the right priority.

Per my “AFAIK” above, it’s possible someone has done one more recently and gotten the “extra” PL, but I have not seen a clear cut case.

As far as this whole “superpass” goes, if you aim to exceed power targets or want a harder workout at the start, use the Alternates function and pick something appropriately challenging. This is the only way I know to leverage that if you really aim to exceed the prescribed workout.

All this will potentially change, but keep in mind that they do have an article that at least hints at the limits and lack up upward PL over the prescribed (although not expressly stated IIRC), so they try to cover it from a high level at least.

So it looks like you did a 1x55-min effort in TR’s middle/top sweet spot zone. For a comparable workout level, go find something that in the library, you might start by looking at Reynolds -3 or White +3 or what not. Then send an email to support and ask why didn’t you get more PL credit.

I think if this was working for other people (with specific examples showing it), I would take it up with support. It really seems to me that the ‘superpass’ either doesn’t exist in a meaningful way, or the feature is completely broken (for everyone.)

@IvyAudrain Does this stuff really work? The way this article is written it sounds like some PL adjustment is expected in a case like this.

From that article:

Significantly higher/lower power compared to the prescribed target power of a workout may move the workout outside its originally intended power zone. Adaptive Training does not currently recognize when this occurs, but we plan to address this with future product updates.

FWIW you rode the recovery intervals “significantly higher” than prescribed, and AT does not currently recognize that per the article.

1 Like

Right, but I kept those at about sweetspot, so it still should affect a sweetspot workout. I did that part for me, since I was feeling good, rather than really thinking AT would do anything with it.
I was very careful to keep the intervals at 94% of FTP, as I think that’s the upper limit of SS as far as TR is concerned.
I should pick a workout that is easier to adjust - ie a SS workout with all intervals at 88%, then moving to the high end of SS for all intervals should be a detectable and notable difference.

“Right, but” - I suggest you stop at “Right”

It doesn’t matter what you think. You might think that unstructured outside rides should give PL credit from day one of the beta. But it didn’t. And still doesn’t.

If you accept the current implementation, then you need to load up 1x50 sweet spot workout if you want full PL credit. Right?

Maybe you are mis-understanding my point - I am trying to determine if this ‘superpass’ feature works or not. I have seen lots of discussion about how it might work, or how people think it works, but I have not seen posted an actual example of it working.
I posted an example of what I think is it not working. I am not expecting a PL for a 55 minute SS effort - that is clearly not advertised as how it works currently. What I was expecting, based on the description in the article, is that it would recognize the the last 10 intervals were done at meaningfully higher intensity than prescribed, and I expected some adjustment based on that. That’s all.
I don’t see the current behavior in the app matching was is described in the article I linked. This is not the only instance where there was no adjustment and I thought there could/should be one. If no-one is getting super-passes, then it’s not worth bringing up with support, as the feature is broken or not implemented, and they have more important things to work on.

I’m not the authority on this, but haven’t seen a single believable claim of superpass working (my personal opinion is that Levels 2.0 and “unstructured” support is a pre-requisite for superpass to be released).

1 Like

When in doubt, especially for stuff that we on the outside can just speculate on for the most part, it’s best to email support@trainerrod.com for the most direct and connected answer.

1 Like