What lessons did you learn in 2018?

This year has taught me that structure is key for me. However, I’m doing “Disaster” tomorrow, so my take-aways from the year may differ drastically by this time tomorrow.

2 Likes

So good!!

“Wherever you are, be all there.” Jim Elliot

Never ever stop woking on strengthening your body, no matter what sport you’re into.

1 Like

Be wary of anything with “High Volume” in the description.

3 Likes

Actually train for your A-Race / event or you will fail.

Learned that the hard way this year :sweat_smile:

Rest

I learned that I can ride 22hours straight (BC Epic bikepacking race)

2 Likes

High Volume plans and heavy calorie deficits don’t mix.

2018 affirmed some things I’ve learned in the past because “life” made me execute some things differently, but I still managed a successful season. Specifically, two things stand out:

1. Consistency doesn’t mean doing the perfect training plan perfectly year over year, all else be damned. Consistency means doing the best that life allows year over year and being OK with that.

2. If I want to achieve my long term goals, I need to dedicate myself to getting stronger on the bike. Enter TR.

2 Likes

that intermittent fasting works very well for me combined with a polarized training approach.
and that having a new born son, takes a lot of structure and planning if you want your riding to be consistent.

rockrabbit, how low carb are you talking about? How many grams of CHO/day?

Close to nothing as far as carbs are concerned…

Nuts now and then… Vegetables mostly… so under 20 grams a day… easy peasy for me!

2 Likes

Wow, that is super low. Are you doing sweet spot and threshold workouts with that or mostly polarized type training?

Any and all workouts… Being fully Fat Adapted… dont need external Sugar at all! This lifestyle works for me!

2 Likes

I learned 4 things:

1. That car might pull out in front of you…

2. Hitting the side of a car at 27mph hurts.

3. Ribs heal.

4. It takes a ton of work to get your full FTP back…

6 Likes

Do more hard stuff in aero position. Somehow chasing FTP gains on road bike on trainer did not translate too well to ironman performance on TT bike in aero!

I learned to be more careful doing weight training. Even if a PT is directing, if it feels wrong, stop. And probably just give those dead lifts a miss altogether, to err on the side of caution. :confounded:

A good nutrition plan really works, finally got my A event finish after 4 attempts.

I’m 55. I train 6 days a week. I started to eat more protein. On hard workout days I’ll take in more protein in small doses during the day and last one just before bed. I now recover better, I can train harder on multiple days and I sleep better. Woohoo!