What lessons did you learn in 2018?

Trust your fitness and realize that there are people who can crush you like a bug

Sometimes you win or lose for reasons outside of your control - still trying to learn not to be upset about these things

Results are not tied to how well a race went

2 Likes

Riding fixed gear is fun, and will make you a faster rider.

1 Like

If I want to get fast, I need to train consistently and not in fits and starts.

Regardless of how fit I am, giving 100% effort is the best I can achieve, comparing myself to others is a black hole.

Doing a decent amount of training at a low intensity can actually make you faster.

If I want to improve at TT’s and the bike leg of triathlons I really need to work on my aero position. That’s currently my focus for my TR base phase.

My swimming catch/pull technique is far worse than I was aware of (recent video analysis lesson - wish I’d have had one sooner). Know what I need to work on to improve now though.

Trying to mimic the technique of elites isn’t always the best approach.

I really enjoy strength training. Wish I’d have started it sooner.

Racing for the enjoyment of the sport is a way better approach than chasing PB’s.

1 Like

I often do better and stick with the things I enjoy. Cycling is no exception. So I train in manner that makes me feel positive, I get out and enjoy the social rides and I only enter the rides and races that interest me. No point going as a team member if your not going to contribute as a team member.

Cycling for me = fun. Once the fun goes, what have I got left, other than an expensive hobby?

2 Likes

I learned that getting back on the bike after nearly 10 years off the bike and away from training I just need to be patient. A year of High Volume plans was perhaps too much for year one but I sure did get back my love for solid consistent training. Now lets see what growth next year holds. :biking_man:

1 Like

Need base endurance. Only chasing FTP will make you a sort of “glass cannon”.

2 Likes

Everything I’ve learned over the past year amounts to this:

Nothing really matters unless you are making the bike go faster

The fastest person wins. I think we all forget about this some times.

This all the way!!

I’ve ridden a fixed for the last 5-6 years — so much fun plus it makes you stronger and able to handle high cadences.

I still can’t beat some of my fixed KOMs riding my geared race bike!

1 Like

2018 has been by far the most valuable lesson for me.

I started a Low Carb Lifestyle in October 2017 and joined TrainerRoad in December of 2017.

As I was entering this Low carb lifestyle I kept wondering if I could actually still be good cyclist… well as April rolled around I began my outdoor rides (Spring came late) and experimented with various No Sugar No Carb nutrition points. Tested my blood before and after each ride early on… this told me when I had become Fully Fat Adapted.

In October 2017 I was 211lbs with 22% body fat. Now, I however just under 160lbs with 8%.

Take aways? Not only did my performance increase, I also joined the local cycling team and very quickly learnt that I was in way better form than I can imagine.

This told me what to begin doing for the 2019 season.

Stick with my Low carb lifestyle and begin weight lifting… mostly squats… working the legs

This along with steady TrainerRoad workouts… well I’m hoping that 2019 turns out even better for me!

oh! and I treated myself to a new frame… went from a 2008 Colnago Extreme Power to a 2016 Colnago C60 Racing.

I know Low Carb is controversial and all around here. Not trying to persuade anyone to do it. Just stating it works for me remarkable well.

6 Likes

I actually find low cadence increases as well. When you have no choice but to grind up a hill… Maybe not the best for the knees and wouldn’t want to do it all the time but you do build some power there. Sometimes low cadence and bigger gear inches produces faster climbs than a high cadence with lower gear-inches.

Be greatful for good health and the ability to be an endurance athlete. I’m 55 years old and lost my brother earlier this year. One of my triathlon buddies lost a brother, sister, both his in-laws and a close friend this year. We remind each other frequently about how fortunate we are to get to swim, ride and run. Those 5:30 am VO2 Max workouts and the 6:00 AM open water swims are really to be treasured. Don’t ever forget that.

18 Likes

Sorry to hear that man! We lost our daughter years ago so I get it. That’ the ultimate advise…

I did learned a few things since I’ve started TR in November related to training however: One is placing a second or third fan low and to the side almost blowing up my legs and torso. Super cooling effect. Second is (for me) a little stretching session just after the warm up and prior to the main set helps with more intense workouts. As I said before, riding just to build TSS and CTL is not as productive as one might think.

1 Like

First couple of years I was riding a 50x15…total grind on the hills but so fast on flats (one time a woman in a car pulled up beside and yelled out her window “60!!!”:rofl:). But yeah, the knees loved when I switched to 48x16. The 50 gave me a lot of power, the 48 a lot of speed. Those were the days before I had a PM or Strava…when it was fun to just go out and rip around for the sake of ripping around!

1 Like

My takeaway from this season is that consistency pays dividends. This was my first year of structured training and the difference was notable.

After bonking today in just my second Build workout, I think there’s still time to learn another lesson:

Eat! Eat! Eat! :sandwich:

2 Likes

Nice, been doing keto for a years and it hasn’t stopped me from getting fast, either. My lessons learned for this year:

• more salt before races (~2grams of sodium), and more salt on long hot rides.
  • fasted for faster racing
1 Like

Love it our minds get together…

Keto for Life!

Fat Adapted Athlete!

I use Ultima Replenisher Electrolyte Powder (Grape) on longer rides! Seems to help… haven’t actually felt any different! So to me it’s just insurance on longer rides.

This is why going into my second year being Keto… 2019… I’ve got plans for you!

Enjoy!

1 Like

Relaxing and removing tension from my shoulders and arms when on the turbo, lowers my heartbeat by 2-4 bpm for the same effort

That was today’s lesson, every day is a school day for me!

If only i could get better at that when climbing on my mountain bike! I think part of the reason my hr is lower indoors is i have better focus on not tensing up. My goal next year is to work on better flow to recoup some wasted energy to use later in a race.

1 Like