What is your Heart Rate range?

I just go from what my garmin watch tells me :slight_smile:

I dont actually know how it determins the resting heart rate? It doesn’t simply take the lowest recorded value as there have been plenty of times I can see that my HR has dropped lower than what my watch has determined is my resting HR.

3 Likes

Thats sleeping HR which is normally a few bpm below you resting HR.

I have a Samsung smartwatch, it says my resting heart rate is 60-65 but at night I see my heart rate go much lower. I haven’t been able to find an actual definition of rhr

1 Like

M52
Resting:46
Max:186

Male
Resting: 42
Max: 175 cycling / 182 running

What do you use for resting heart rate, lowest heart rate during sleep?

I do wonder about that. For last night my lowest bpm was 44 but garmin reports an average over a period I think which is 48bpm :exploding_head:

1 Like

Like a lot of heart rate and performance stats - the definitions can be a bit fuzzy.

I believe resting heart rate should be taken when fully rested and inactive but awake.

It seems that my garmin usually uses values from after my alarm goes off but before I get my ass out of bed or when i’m sat on the sofa at night watching TV.

If I just spung out of bed and was active all day I dont know what it would do?

1 Like

I think the sensor on a watch is perfectly fine accuracy wise for resting heart rate measurements - it’s during activities when they are moving around on the wrist that they can be a bit ropey.

1 Like

My Garmin was showing me a HR of 280 before the start of parkrun the other week. Though that was because my strap was running out of battery and had gone haywire. But I can count it right?

But playing along with others:
Age 40
RHR: 56 (or so)
Max: 202 (or so)
Range: 146

However thats also a bit misleading as for exercise purposes I am realisically limited to around the 95bpm range as a starting point and that doesnt last long. If I even look at a recovery ride it starts out in the 90s and then jumps up to over 100 pretty readily. So working range is more like 100bpm or something like that. The only physical activity I can do where it doesnt go above 100 (all the time) is yoga.

1 Like

When I started training consistently, yes, I saw a drop in my RHR for sure but never an increase in Max I don’t think. I have been consistently training (12-15hr weeks) for last 2+ years and my RHR has been stable (bar illness or fatigue) in that period.

1 Like

Age 53
RHR 41 (average for past month while sleeping, as reported by HRV4 Training using Oura data)
Max HR 196 (last year)
HRR 155

1 Like

What’s your Vo2 Max?

Mine is apparently 60 for cycling and 56 for running - this is just what Garmin says though so to be taken with a grain of salt.

Resting 52
Max 162

Same as me, although I am 50

RHR ~ 33 - 35
HRmax 178
HRR 143 - 145

So my HRR is ~15 less and we have the same VO2max for both cycling and running.

I think HRR indicates absolutely nothing in terms of fitness.

1 Like

HRR is absolutely an indicator. You’re using it wrong if you’re tying to compare individuals. It’s a personalized metric. It can be used with other metrics to paint a picture.

2 Likes

Exactly. Sure monitor your own data over time, but no use in comparing it to others. Unless maybe you want to compare overall long-term trends in relative terms, but not in absolute numbers.

Same here. I’m in the low 60’s. It’s genetic. It is what it is as they say.

1 Like

Please explain?

My fitness has gone up and down over the last two years but my HRR has remained the same.
That is why I said it doent mean anything in terms of fitness. The comparing to someone else was just a bit of fun, I didnt mean that to be an example of it being meaningless.

1 Like

age 53
Resting around 60
Max 172
Range 112
LTHR 156 (it’s really obvious, I can hold 156 no problem, but at 157 on a climb, I can feel it almost immediately…2021 was at 154 same deal, knew as soon as I went over. Might need to work on that.

My resting hr is variable and very dependent on how I sleep, and I have sleep issues that I’m working on. But I’ve seen low 50s a couple times in the last 6 months, and high 50s is easy after a good sleep. Good news is that I was put on beta blockers 10 years ago to bring my 80+ resting HR down, and I stopped taking them 18 months ago, so I’m happy with 60 without meds.