What is the best rim width and type for tubeless 33mm CX tires?

I just ordered a set of hookless 22mm internal width rims. As said before I have used tubeless hookless before with very high and very low pressures. Never had a single problem. Will report back when they arrive and I have ridden it a few times.

1 Like

Foam inserts…

Tubeless alone is a faff for a sport where you might want to swap to different tyres for a different course / conditions week to week. Foam inserts makes it painful.

Money solves the problem obviously.

I often wonder how much tire choice matters. I’d say 95%+ of people in my races use 1 tire all season, usually Donnelly PDX.

1 Like

I’m a mega pdx fan. They work damn well in just about anything. I’ve run them from mud bath to damp to dry. Same goes for baby limus, my answer is which ever is in stock or cheaper, it’s pretty much the same tire. That said, once you ride chicanes or a similar file tread, you’ll be hooked! If I can find grip in my pre ride laps on chicanes, they get the nod!

Do the chicanes roll noticeably faster than grifos? Was thinking about using them in the Back.

Ive been riding 21mm wide (inner) carbon rims from light bicycle and crest mk3 (the cracked so Ive upgraded to mk4) 23mm wide rims with success. Donnelly PDX WC to get 32-33mm wide tires. Never had a burp! Wish more tires would be “WC” standard width.
Once used 19mm wide Hunt wheels and they burped so much I never used them for racing.

Just need some extra rim tape. I’ve hsed Hunts for 4 race seasons, and noticed they set up loosely. You have to adjust rim tape amount to the individual rim.

Hard to answer for sure. On paper yes, in my case, they’re roughly the same but my grifos are a few seasons old and pretty worn down. They’re my last tubular tires and debating if I just stick with tubeless or get another set and keep the age old process alive!