What is in your Trek downtube?

Just picked up a used Domane and…what do you guys have stuffed in your downtube? I didn’t get the flat kit bag that gets stuffed in there…I wrapped a multitool, a tube, and a couple of C02 tanks in fabric and put them all in there, it seemed to fit pretty well and with smarter packing I think I might be able to squeeze even more stuff in there (tire boot, fiber spoke, maybe even a mini-leatherman too.)

What do you guys have in there? Is there a multitool that fits in the door of the hatch?

Joe

I assume the Domane opening and compartment is smaller than the one on my FUEL EX but in the fuel I carry a multi tool, derailleur hanger, zip ties, some first aid stuff, and a quick link

1 Like

Yes. It is stupid expensive for what it is but fits perfectly without rattling, is pretty small & light and does what I need it to do. I have the sleeve that came with the bike and just have what they intended in it. Tube, CO2 cartridge, CO2 inflator head & levers.

1 Like

On long days with big changes in temp (Wisconsin) I’ll put my lightweight vest in with the tube kit. It’s a tight squeeze, but it’s night to keep as much stuff off my back as possible. I love that thing for bike packing. That little extra space goes a long way!!

1 Like

I have a Specialized Diverge. I can fit all maintenance tools and parts in the downtube.

• tube
  • boot
  • plugs
  • patches
  • pump
  • CO2 + head
  • tire lever
  • multi tool
  • lube
  • chain brush
  • chain tool
  • quick link

Sounds like a lot. But everything is small except for pump and tube.

I’m getting a new trek Fuel frame with integrated storage. I hope it can fit similar.

1 Like

I just wish it had a chain tool with it. Admittedly I’ve only broken a single chain in my life (back in '95) but it’s a show stopper if it happens. I might rummage thru my box of old crappy stuff and see if I have a multitool with a chain tool on it…if I have one and it’s small I could remove it from the old crappy multi tool and stick it in the kit. Thanks for the link!

I like this list! But…what’s a chain brush and what is it for?

Joe

I take the head off this and use it to brush down the chain when needed before applying more lube.

Helpful on long dusty gravel rides.

1 Like

That would make it go from petite to pretty massive and heavy which I’m sure Trek wanted to avoid. I carry a KMC Mini Chain Tool along with a couple of extra CO2 cartridges plus some odds and ends in a Lezyne Caddy Sack - Small which goes in one of my jersey pockets. The chain tool is small and might fit in the sleeve but I carry the Caddy Sack anyway since there is no way I would venture out with only one cartridge I just stuck it in there. There is no way I would venture out with only one cartridge.

1 Like

Firefly 2+

And stuff.

I’ve just got a Checkpoint with a Di2 battery opening. I squished a tube and CO2 pump in there.

1 Like