What is "8 hours of sleep?"

I think that may be because it is advertised or talked about incorrectly. The author is a scientist who studies the impact of sleep on human health. Which is exactly what the book is about. It has some actionable steps to take but in the end he isn’t a sleep coach, he’s a researcher. Just like an economist might not make the best policy maker and an engineer might not make the best mechanic.

In the end the book is called “Why we sleep” and not “You sleep poorly and here’s how to fix it” so it talks about the reasons behind sleep and the impact bad sleep can have but isn’t necessarily meant to be a sleep repair manual.

3 Likes

Hmm that sounds incorrect and dangerous

Also, everything I’ve read says that there is a bit of a disconnect between ‘sleepiness’ and the actual amount you should aim for. As in, someone who sleeps 7 hours but needs 8 might feel ‘fine’ because that’s what they’re used to (and honestly might be using caffeine to blunt the feeling). But they would feel better and recover better if they got the 8 they needed.

1 Like

This is a very good point. It’s how the expectation was set rather than whether it’s a good book or not.

1 Like

Good point again. I haven’t read that book, but in the overview I linked, they talk about a chapter in the book that focuses on “fatigue” versus “sleepy” and how they aren’t the same thing too.

Yes but 10 pages isn’t enough for falling asleep material :sleeping:

1 Like

Every time I see the title of the thread I feel it should be moved to the meme thread!

8 hours, what kind of utopian witchcraft are you talking about!?

3 Likes

Ha! The intro to Why We Sleep even sets out “Should you feel drowsy and fall asleep while reading the book, unlike most authors, I will not be disheartened… I am actively going to encourage that kind of behavior from you…” :wink:

3 Likes

I’m in bed about 8 a.m. – I usually fall asleep in one of my kid’s beds after reading them their books.

And try to wake up about 4:30 a.m. to give myself some alone with coffee before doing my workout for the day.

However, I have spells where the stressors of life (relitigating embarrassments, going over some work problem, puzzling over what to have for breakfast, other pointless stuff) gives me insomnia from 1-3 a.m.

It sucks. But I am in bed! And it sounds like that laying-down-but-awake time doesn’t count.

And also it sounds like my sleep hygiene protocols are pretty bad.

1 Like

I feel better after hitting snooze for 30 minutes, than if I sleep all the way through. Just like how I feel better if I wake up several times a night vs sleep all the way through. Nothing worse for me then going to bed at 10, waking up at 5, and never waking up in between. That day will suck for me.

2 Likes

What is this mythical state of which you speak?

2 Likes

Something that rarely happens, luckily.

8 hours as a rule is a myth but only in the sense that everyone has their own needs. You should sleep enough so that you’re not tired when you get out of bed. I’ll go so far as to say if you’re getting enough sleep, you’ll wake up without an alarm. (waking up to pee or from a bad dream doesn’t count!) I haven’t achieved this since my early 20s but waking up naturally and fresh is truly fantastic and really is good for you.

Signs you’re not getting enough sleep…

• drinking caffeine to feel good
  • waking up to an alarm
  • hitting snooze

I know it’s natural to think whatever you’re doing is “working for you.” It’s called hedonic adaptation. But if you can find a way to go to bed early enough so that you wake up on time for work without needing an alarm (eg, you set it for 6 am but realize you’re suddenly waking up at 5:55), you’ll be amazed how good it feels.

1 Like

I know what you mean about waking up naturally, feel good and function. I’d be wary of the wonders of the human body/ mind it quickly gets into a routine. After a few days of 6-7hours sleep getting woke by an alarm I’ll start waking up 5mins before it and function. I’m guilty of doing what ‘works for me’ though; last season I was targeting 8.5-9h in bed (circa 8h sleep) and it seemed to me to work better so this season I’ll be doing the same :joy:

Since my system got iron back in it, it doesn’t happen all the time but I am lucky enough to occasionally sleep through :+1: During my cancer induced iron deficiency I was waking up 3-4 times a night and would often be awake.

1 Like

I wish I could live without an alarm clock. But my body doesn’t like waking up before 10, and I have never held a job that would allow that.

I had a polysomnogram recently and was surprised at a VERY close agreement between the PSG report and my Whoop Strap analytics, including how it counted sleep time vs wake time.

That said, when you read about 8 or 9 hours or whatever, keep in mind that’s a rough goal based on population statistics, and that everyone’s sleep need varies a bit both between individuals and between days for the same individual.

If you wake up without an alarm, feel rested, have energy throughout the day, and can repeat that, you’re probably good.

1 Like

when I was a younger man, I reached stasis going to sleep at 11 and waking at 8:30. Never felt better in my whole life. Woke without an alarm. Didn’t feel groggy. Immediately fresh and alert and didn’t need caffeine to get through the day.

1 Like

yup. In my dreams… pun intended.

1 Like

Funny I do the same thing….but I complain as I wake up at 5 but dont need to be up till 7. Some days I go back easily….other days I read for way too long. I need to get the mind to think of pointless things…not the work problems that are going on.

1 Like

I,m envious! I’m not a morning person but being in the building trade for 40 years I’ve had to get up at around 6.am. Fortunately now, I’m self employed and work part time, which enables me to train when i want. I usually go to bed around 11 pm, read or play games till 12 ish, then go to sleep . I naturally wake up around 8, then have breakfast in bed doing sudoku and listening to podcasts (TR, Tarens Mottiv method etc etc).
As for sleeping through the night, forget that when your over 50 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like