What are your unpopular cycling opinions?

I’ve personally never bent a derailleur hanger, which is probably why I don’t see it as a huge deal. But I agree that putting that stress point at the significantly stronger axle is a good idea.

1 Like

Any Shimano HG+ system shifts under load. Even the mechanical system.

5 Likes

Yep, sometimes it’s a loud clunk but it definitely works.

My wife tries to bend one every time she rides :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Truth! And much more fun!! (But that isn’t an unpopular opinion :grin:)

1 Like

mountain bikes peaked around 2011/12 with the last great 26" models. They’ve got heavier and slower since then.

2 Likes

No I won’t

10 Likes

Ha, I’m halfway thru the series right now. Can confirm the entertainment value!

2 Likes

[quote=“Crownan, post:579, topic:81524, full:true”]
Cycling caps are ridiculous. [/quote]
I don’t particularly like the look or reduced airflow to my scalp, but the little bit of sun visor can come in handy and having sweat flow out to the end of the visor (when visor is down) to drip someplace besides my eyes is the best thing since sliced bread. YMMV (Florida resident)

4 Likes

There is a reboot coming for Justified, too!!

3 Likes

All modern groupsets shift well enough under load, regardless if they are electronic or mechanical.

1 Like

If you rebuild your gravel bike with superlight road components, it is not a gravel bike anymore. Just another road bike with an unnecessary sturdy frame.

3 Likes

Gravel bikes are just unnecessarily heavy road bikes.

9 Likes

Roadies have no concept of pacing.

2 Likes

You should see a mass start XC race

9 Likes

Maybe unpopular opinion: Cycling would be better if there were no teams. Imagine if every rider just went as hard as they could and all of them tried to win the race…crazy, I know.

6 Likes

it would, but it doesn’t work. someone promises someone else something and they end up working together.

1 Like

I agree. I definitely had the most fun as a Cat IV.

4 Likes

Many riders use a cycling cap under the helmet just because they have purchased a fancy, expensive helmet that does not at all fit their head.

1 Like

Perhaps all cycling wouldn’t be better, I still enjoy the teamwork in Grand Tours etc. However, it would be rad to have a few one day races where everyone rode as a privateer. Similar to the one day classics, but everyone just goes at it as hard as they can. No teamwork, no tactics.

2 Likes