What are your unpopular cycling opinions?

yeah, maybe you’re right it was a bad example. that is just one pic on the internet that I’ve recently seen that I remebered to show what I mean. my argument still stands that most people could lower the saddle into a more powerful position tough. feel free to disagree. it’s an unpopular opinion after all as others scoffed at me pointing it out to them.

1 Like

I do actually agree with that statement :smiley:

1 Like

Everyone should own at least one fixed gear bike and as this is the unpopular opinion thread, I don’t care that you live in the Alps. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Running is a fitness contest.
Cycling (racing) is a game with a fitness element.

13 Likes

Next you’ll tell people they shouldn’t slam their stem and have a 140mm stem :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Are you telling friends their seat is too high or strangers? Most people aren’t too receptive of a stranger giving advice as they don’t any idea what your knowledge is

I usually don’t tell anyone to do anything, don’t want to be “that guy”. I don’t try to be a smartass to people. I just suggest based on personal experience, observation and testing things out myself. Usually you don’t see yourself cycling so I state my observation and suggest trying to change something based on my personal experience. I don’t ride up to strangers and tell them to do X or Y. It’s usually friends or ridebuddies who “know what they’re doing”. I’ve since stopped saying anything because everyone seems to be so weird about it. It’s probably just me that’s weird.

1 Like

As the great 21st Century philosopher Roland Givens once said…

(No, I am not calling you an a**hole :wink:….your post just reminded me of that clip)

And if anyone has not watched Justified, you can thank me later for the hours of trainer entertainment I just gave you. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. It is one of my Top 5 All-Time shows.

5 Likes

Oh. The classic “no offense but….” followed by a statement meant to offend. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

New Sram Eagle AXS transmission will have better shifting and reliability than current AXS.

Apparently this is an unpopular opinion judging by the YouTube commenters.

3 Likes

Incorrect…the potentially “offensive” statement preceded the exclusionary sentence.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It’s wild how much hate this thing is getting. Some youtubers act like it’s not going to work at all. Cmon, you think they spent multiple years on this just for it to not work? Like I get you’re a mechanical engineer or whatever, but I doubt you know more than a bunch of mechanical engineers dedicated to bike engineering working on this project for years.

8 Likes

I think the problem with some youtube channels is that if your shtick is to be contrarian, you’re going to be contrarian no matter what. Something something everything’s a nail.

6 Likes

Tom Nichols wrote a whole book about this trend…

5 Likes

Yeah, but what does he know? :upside_down_face:

27 Likes

Yeah, it’s mostly just a change in the mounting system. It’s still a traditional derailleur; they’ve been around for nearly a century now… kinda hard to screw up at this point.

Maybe all the reactions are big because Sram is also treating this like a revolution. A bit of hyperbole with “not a groupset, a transmission”, etc…

At any rate, I think it’s neat they can remove limit screws. I like the shifting buttons… No need to have the old school (i.e., mechanical) layout when this isn’t an old school system. Plus, the groupset just looks pretty, no doubt about that.
I still plan on sticking with Shimano because it still just works, but competition breeds innovation.

5 Likes

I see what you did there…Chapeau.

1 Like

I’m willing to even call it revolutionary if you can truly shift under load. Right now everyone has a slight pedal pause when shifting. If you don’t need to change your pedaling while shifting whatsoever then it truly changes the riding experience.

I’m gonna give you a “like” because for me this is a very unpopular opinion. I absolutely consider this a massive game changer. I can’t wait until I can bin all the hangers I have in my toolbox.

1 Like

I’ll have tears streaming down my face in the first mile if I don’t wear glasses to block the wind. I tried to use my prescription aviators but they still let wind in. Cheapos from Amazon (rockbros?) worked fine.

2 Likes

I’ve got no idea about Sram, let alone Eagle, but Shimano Di2 has let you do that for years. You can shift mid sprint without issue.

2 Likes