What are your unpopular cycling opinions?

You don’t need that much intensity to get fast

1 Like

Fact. Not an opinion.

5 Likes

But we can’t agree on the holy document. It’s like that scene in the Monty Python movie “The Life of Brian” where the Peoples Front of Judea are arguing against the Judaen Peoples Front.

Brian:
Excuse me. Are you the Judean People’s Front?

Reg:
F*** off! We’re the People’s Front of Judea

5 Likes

GCN was never good. Even with Matt Stephens.

6 Likes

People that subscribe and enjoy FloBikes aren’t real cyclists and can’t be trusted on a group ride

1 Like

Climbing is easier than flats. You can coast on the downhills. There is no rest on flats.

9 Likes

Why not a gravel bike AND a mtb bike?

1 Like

you’re still a mountain biker even if you only ever noodle around on beginner and intermediate trails and never do jumps or drops or bunny hop

10 Likes

Ride hard fanatics who avoid Z2 cause it’s boring; stagnate within a year or two and don’t want to admit it to themselves

5 Likes

Be still my beating heart! After 25+ years I’m still afraid of drops!

3 Likes

I guess one could have both. But it seems redundant to have a gravel bike if you have a road and a MTB. And, you can do a lot more on the road with the road bike, and a lot more offroad with the MTB. The only value I can see with a gravel bike is if you were just going to have one do-it-all bike. However, it won’t give you the capability of a full road bike nor a full offroad bike.

The gravel bike I got actually has similar dimensions to an endurance road bike I used to have and looks almost identical in shape. The groupset and the tires/wheels are the big difference. However, I max out very quickly on the types of trails I can go on with a gravel bike and that makes me wonder what the point was.

1 Like

It entirely depends on what kind of local trails you have. Sometimes a mountain bike is better. Sometimes a gravel bike is better.

2 Likes

Road and mountain biking have incredibly toxic and gate keeping cultures. Gravel has been so successful because it’s evolved as a direct response, and is much more inclusive with way better vibes at races.

6 Likes

N+1 is just toxic consumerism.

24 Likes

It got better now that our very own @Cory.Rood was on this week’s episode Hack / Bodge … or is it Hack \ Bodge.

4 Likes

Carbs intake recommendations should be individualized.

3 Likes

Great point. It really does depend on what is accessible to ride and certainly there’ll be better use cases for a gravel bike. But, I do think gravel bikes are generally way overmarketed/overrated.

1 Like

If you use the phrase “don’t diet on the bike” in response to someone saying they don’t gulp down sugar during one of their shorter Z2 rides; then you need to examine your own relationship with food.

6 Likes

I got rid of my road bike as I’d just rather have the comfort of my gravel bike if I am on the road. But I rarely ride much road other than to get to gravel. My full suspension mtb could work for some gravel rides and I have taken it on some routes but it’s definitely slow me down.

I would say that you can do well in long races if you don’t do long rides, but long rides really help and you will do better with long rides.