What (aero) road bike?

I have a 2016 venge and 2017 emonda. Pass on he venge IMO. I ride it 5 times a week and that’s my take

I have heard the 2019 is much improved but can’t speak to it personally.

If you can find a good deal on last year’s Madone (ie. prior generation), it may be worth it. However fit is critical and the one piece integrated bar/stem on it would be expensive to swap out. It was a very good bike and you may find someone who needs the latest and greatest swapping out for the new Madone.

Similar to @DMC I’ve got an Emonda SLR Project One with disc brakes. For me the brakes were the deciding factor when I bought it in late 2017 and I absolutely love the bike. It’s super comfortable, light, and handles great. However the new disc equipped Madone would make me think hard if I was walking into the shop today.

1 Like

I love my Aeroad. Bang for buck it’s tough to beat.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Given you’ve used £ I assume you’re in UK.
To maximise your budget you could go for one of these https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-aero-883-disc-shimano-ultegra-di2/
They have a showrooms in Preston and Brum so you could swing a leg over to get an appropriate size.

Bianchi Aria is a lovely choice, mine is the rim version but still an brilliant ride.

Partly driven by my heart as I’d always wanted a Bianchi, I’m sure I could have better spec for the money but I just love it, which I bet makes you ride more than having that Ultegra rear mech over a 105.

Also good for tri usage as Bianchi do advertise it as being a good starter tri bike.

1 Like

Same reason I bought mine. I bought the 105 version but it was a lot more money than an equivalent 105 bike. But I’m finally at a point in my life where I have a bit of extra money so l went for it. I basically payed a huge surplus for some celeste paint :joy:

2 Likes

I got a ribble aero 883. I wanted a full carbon road bike that I could add clip ons if I did a try or TT, which I have now done. For half your budget I got a full 105 11 speed with internal cables and future ready for DI2. For what I paid you could add some deep aero wheels and get a bitchin ride.

You build it yourself basically on their website

1 Like

I think a Bianchi is worth the premium for just how pretty they are.

1 Like

That is slick. Will keep this in mind

Mine is rim braked - got it before the disc version came out and I’m the second owner. no way I could afford the SLR at retail! But, light, corners and handles very well, and stiff. I really do enjoy it for crits. And paired with my aelous 5 tubulars, thing rips.

Thanks this is great advice.

Nice :slight_smile:

I’ve just been looking for something similar and have bought a Scott Foil 20 disc. If you can find a 2018 model in your size theres some good deals to be had and even some spare cash for some reasonable carbon wheels.

1 Like