Well ventilated road helmets

Giro Synthe is my go to summer helmet as it has plenty of ventilation, however the brow pad is quite thin so it will not hold a lot of sweat.

Kask Protone for any other time of year as I find the Synthe a lot more airy. (I have a bald head if that makes any difference)

The Synthe is actually very similar to the Velocis I have looks wise so doubt that achieve what I’m after. So far the POC stuff is winning if it fits me well and doesn’t make me look too :eggplant:

I thought “expiration” for motorsports helmets was when the certification expires? So a helmet certified to the 2015 standard expires in 2025 regardless if you buy it in 2016 or 2023. Could be wrong as I only tangentially follow amateur racing through friends, although I am increasingly tempted to take the Fiesta out for some laps.

I don’t think the CPSC standard changes that frequently, but most helmet manufacturers say to replace helmets every ~5 years as the foam liners lose some of their ability to absorb impact.

I’ve been wearing a Giro Synthe MIPS for a few years (actually a couple of them. They have a great crash replacement policy), and I’m a big fan. Good balance between air flow and ventilation.
A few weeks ago, I picked up a Giro Vanquish MIPS, and I think the airflow and aero performance may be slightly better than the Synth. I like the visor, and will certainly wear it in TTs, but it’s a bit extreme looking for every day or crit use. Aero vs peer pressure - tough call!

FWIW, I always wear a backwards wicking cap under my helmet - I sweat like a stuck hog, and I train in the swamp, so heat and humidity are omnipresent May through October. The Synth has performed well in the heat. I look forward to seenig how he vanquish does this summer.

You should it’s a blast. I was having fun until everyone around me started crashing and I realized I modified my Miata a bit much and wasn’t going to be able to recover from a spin out at the speeds it could hit.

I know SNELL doesn’t apply to cycling helmets but trying to think of some excuse to tell the wife I’m spending more money on cycling aside from “I want to look more like a nerd”

Oh man love a good Miata, it’s the CAAD of the auto racing world. For a while the Fiesta was our only car and I chickened out of a few track days because of that. Now that we have a proper family car might be time to give it a go.

You can always use the safety excuse for buying new helmets!

I used Giro Synthe for years but then switched to Aether. I had both helmets for a while, so it was easy to compare them and according to that the Aether is better ventilated. I now use Aether during the warmer months and Vanquish during the colder months. Vanquish ventilation is good enough for the summer too, although not as good as Aether.

1 Like

I have a white Kask Valegro. Lovely and cool, exceptionally well fitted and comfy.

I also have a Protone for the road bike, and tempted by an Utopia for road racing.

I’d highly recommend the Valegro.

1 Like

Yes, they do. The styrofoam material becomes brittle with time. So I don’t think there are any laws on the book, it is common sense to replace your helmet roughly every five years.

The reason I ordered my POC Octal was that one day I noticed a giant crack in my helmet. I hadn’t crashed, so perhaps that was from bumping against stuff (I used that helmet for my commutes, too)?

Plot twist: what’s well ventilated without turning into a giant turbulence generator on my head? The Ventral Air certainly looks cool (pun intended here) but also like it would disrupt airflow pretty significantly. Here’s what I currently have for reference

I like the Catlike Mistral but I am not sure what’s happened to the company. The were in pro peleton a few years ago but I think the company has been bought :neutral_face:

1 Like

Tried: Bell x 1, Kask x 3, Bontrager x 1, Giro x 4
Giro Synthe MIPS mark 1 is hands down, the best helmet Ive ever worn plus well-vented and aero

Kask Mojito3

POC’s road and MTB helmets have great ventilation.

1 Like