Washington DC area Race/Event Recommendations?

Ryan, I hear about you a lot from CCC guys haha. So you are a legend in my book :joy:

1 Like

Quick update! I started racing road haha.

I am making videos of my races and other cycling things for fun. If anyone enjoys these things, take a peek! :slightly_smiling_face:

2022 Carl Dolan Cat 5 - 2nd place! (Full Race, No commentary, Nasty 1st lap crash!)")

This was yesterdayā€™s race, my 4th road race ever (2nd circuit race), and I somehow managed to get 2nd! (Thanks, TrainerRoad!) The guy who won has an FTP of 380+ @ 160# and I knew for sure he would win lol :joy:

The commentary version of this will come out in a few days when I get it done. Canā€™t edit videos during the day with 4 little ones under 7yo :sweat_smile:

Hope you enjoy!

4 Likes

Anyone ridding the Armed Forces Challenge this weekend?

If so how many laps are you aiming?

1 Like

My kid might race but there are so many bike racing options i think iā€™m going to that rails-to-trails instead but family obligations might shut me down on both.
The clarendon cup has a good masters options but iā€™ve yet to not get dropped from that raceā€¦too punchy and if you have bad pack positioning you are done.

Which rails-to-trails event? Family obligations kept me from doing either the AFCC or Triple Peak Gran Fondo this weekend. Iā€™m always looking for new events. Also, cyclingva.com has a good list and mix of events.

He might be referring to the Rails to River XC Race at Lake Fairfax. Rails to River XC Mountain Bike Race

Iā€™m doing the Wednesday at Wakefield events but wonā€™t be able to to the Armed Forces Challenge because of family obligations. Although we will probably go watch the crit race and may do the kiddo race

2 Likes

Iā€™m doing the challenge ride. Plan is to find a group early and work together for 9 laps. Looks like a perfect day weather wise.

Rails to Trails the next day if my wrist isnā€™t giving me problems towards the end of the week.

Loudon Gravel Grinder the weekend after. Dirty Kitten mid July as a tune up before heading to Steamboat in August.

1 Like

I live in the DC area and it always surprises me that there are hardly any crits around here. Yes, thereā€™s the weekly Greenbelt training crit - but for those of us in Northern VA, getting to Greenbelt in afternoon traffic is brutal and basically not possible.

There are a ton of group rides, bike shop rides, and the CX is great in the fall. Thereā€™s just a weird lack of crit series around here. My guess is that thereā€™s nowhere to hold them, the insurance is too high, the traffic density and volume are insane, and combined with limited space - bam - no crits in NoVA.

2 Likes

There should be a crit that uses Seminary Rd in Alexandria.

1 Like

There is actually a lot of racing this week in the DMV, 2 mid weeks (g-Belt and W@W), Armed Forces races (which even if you donā€™t race on the road is worth checking out) and R2R XC and another XC at little Bennet - the Go-nuts series and the Shamrock Crit in V-beach!
It keeps on going through june with every weekend a XC or crit or both!

1 Like

Here is link for Go Nuts series https://www.gonutsbiking.com/mid-atl-xc-events

1 Like

I guess Tysons is completely gone? Ride Sally Ride is in Sterling in on June 12!

1 Like

Congrats!!! Great result

1 Like

my guess is it was prohibitively expensive or difficult logistically to hold it at tysonsā€¦

@dsheldo (Dan?) are you gonna do RSR on 6/12?

Thank you!! I was super surprised at the end when I saw no one else in front of meā€¦

Thatā€™s a good question. Itā€™s my club so Iā€™m on the registration desk. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ll be able to actually race. Depends on if I can find someone to replace me for a bit.

1 Like

Are you referring to the old Westgate races, or did another race / series get started out there?

Yeah, Westpark Drive (if thatā€™s what you meant).

No, Westgate was a crit around the Westgate office park off 123, technically in McLean, but only about ~1 mile from Tysonā€™s. races every Tues / Thurs but I think the series stopped in mid-90ā€™s, though.

Oh! No, Iā€™ve never heard of that one. Though Iā€™ve only been in the area for the last 10 years. The one Iā€™m thinking of was put on by one of the major clubs - maybe NCVC. The last running was pre-COVID.

1 Like