Washington DC area Race/Event Recommendations?

The hains point morning rides are still a thing but mostly just tues and thurs starting at 6:30. they’ve been off and on over the winter but i think once we get a little more light and higher temps then they’ll come back. A and B (sometimes C) groups, well organized and pretty safe (compared to the nooner).
James, as far a racing here’s what i’ve done

• Greenbelt - Great twilight and you can ride to/rom. Been going on forever and the best workout you can get…volunteer for this people…the club (RV1) that puts this on is tiny yet the probably produce the most races of all the clubs in the DMV. I’ve lived and raced coast to coast and this is a true gem, be a shamed to loose it
  • Stokeville Strade, Little switzerland etc - 3 part gravel series thrown by Legend MTB racer and DC local rider chris scott. Races and well done and more 50/50 split road/gravel
  • Monster Cross - Basically a roughish gravel race and classic on the early calendar
  • Armed forces classic - Has a 2 part race component to it as well, crystal city and clarendon cup, crazy fast A-Game races
  • Giro Di Coppi - Hopefully happens this year
  • Poolesville road race - another classic that has not happend since covid but…
  • Hagerstown twilight classic/tour of washington county - The friday nigh crit is a classic and super fun
  • Tour de Tysons - Great course and you can ride to it. did not happen do to covid but should be back if they can get their permits (tougher to get every year)
  • Bunny hop - classic office park crit
  • Ride Sally ride - another office park crit but they just repaved it and was fast and fun
  • Gonzo Tourture race - great climbers course can be done on a road bike and crazy good workout
    just check bike reg. unlike other regions bike reg for gravel and road is pretty reliable source
3 Likes

This is great to know. I might start bringing my bike into work and getting some outside workouts complete before work.

1 Like

Here’s a local news article on Trek buying Spokes. Pretty much reiterates what was already in the post above.

1 Like

Didn’t know this! I’m an early bird when it comes to riding so maybe I will try to make it out there some time! Feel free to follow me on Strava and I’ll follow back (always love connecting with local riders): James Kim [Nightcrawler]

Nightcrawler because I almost always ride before the sun rises, even in the summer haha. Full-time dad :slightly_smiling_face: and that’s how we do it in our family at least!

Are the morning rides as fierce as the noon ride? What’s the average speed of each group in the morning? And how many minutes of riding?

WOAH!

They were the big specialized dealer just 5 years ago!

They still are a big Specialized dealer, at least for two more months …

The Virginia Cycling Association is having their annual scheduling meeting tomorrow so expect to see more races announced next week. MABRA’s annual meeting is not until mid-late February so you won’t hear many confirmed race dates until then. I have seen the preliminary schedules for both series’ and you can expect plenty of races for both.

2 Likes

Wintergreen is not happening this year per the promoter. Logistically that event is hard to put on and they are having trouble getting enough volunteers.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info!

Exciting that there will be a number of road races in VA this year :slightly_smiling_face:

Here is the 2022 VCA schedule as a google calendar. Still lots of VCA events to be added to this calendar over the next few months. MABRA will have a different calendar once they release theirs.

4 Likes

Small world, I also had orders drop and I’m heading back to DC as well. Hope to meet some of you at these events!

3 Likes

I’m planning and training for the Alpine 77 mile course. That would be my longest race ever!:grimacing:

2 Likes

Sweet! What kind of racing do you do? And what category?

Good luck! That’s a tough 77 miles compared to something flat :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It’s a good course and a very well-run event. I did that distance in 2017 (I signed up for the longest route, but knee pain in the weeks prior encouraged a change of plans). The route includes the climb up Route 33 to High Knob (which almost all participants do), plus a 1,500 foot climb up Reddish Knob (the highest point in Virginia). It bypasses the gravel portions and is about 2 hours shorter, but retains the beauty of the longer course. I think you’ll really enjoy it.

1 Like

Cat 4/5… gravel, road, group rides, etc. I’m mostly a casual rider looking for fun. I’m probably going to try some cyclocross this fall.

1 Like

I did the Farm to Fork Fondo in that area a few years ago and it was a nice ride. Very pretty area.

1 Like

You better sign up soon. Spots are filling up!

2 Likes

I love the CCC group. All of them are so nice and welcoming. Love the pizza and beers Thursday night. My favorite group in the area

1 Like

Great advice on the local rides! Another fun ride that’s relatively new is the Maryland Endurance Challenge with 3, 6, and 12 hour options. Welcome to the DC area!

1 Like