Washington DC area Race/Event Recommendations?

Most races will show up in https://www.bikereg.com/
Create an account, set up a search for area, and you’ll get notified as events are added to the calendar.
Also keep an eye here: https://usacycling.org/events-search?start_date=2022-01-16&end_date=2022-10-16 but I’d expect most if not all will show up on BikeReg

2 Likes

JB is great. The event always has a fun surprise, like one year a banjo player serenaded us up a steep gravel climb.

Wintergreen is a fun/painful event, like you said. Here’s the route: Wintergreen 2019 | Strava Ride Segment in
Typically it’s in May of each year. It’s called the James Beazell Hill Climb, and it’s advertised on the website or Facebook page of the Charlottesville Bicycling Club.

1 Like

Lots of cyclists in Alexandria. The spokes etc shop has some good rides and the Clifton Cycling Club is a great group of guys and ladies to hook with (though they’re not really a “racing” club). Mabra is the local road racing association for traditional crits and stuff like that, but there’s also been a lot of nearby gravel events sprouting over the last couple of years. Dirty Kitten is a lot of fun.

But yeah, humidity is no joke here.

1 Like

Just announced - Spokes is selling their shops to Trek.

(I managed the Quaker Lane location way back in the day….out of pure coincidence, I lined up next to Jim Strang last summer at The Rift in Iceland. Small world!!)

1 Like

Yeah, we were just talking about that on a group chat. Great for Jim! Still, I wonder if that won’t over saturate the market for Trek. They already have I think a couple of stores, Spokes has six and Bike Lane sells Trek as well.

1 Like

I’m sure some of the stores (either Spokes or others) will close to prevent over saturation.

This is s great event

I don’t race much… did a couple of cx races… mostly watch and take photos. Looking to do some MTB events this year like Wed. at Wakefield (if it’s on) Rails to River, and MoCo Epic.

The MoCo Epic – MORE-MTB

1 Like

No clue when, or if, they’ll be back, but Joe Jefferson puts on some great road races in the Maryland/DC area. Hopefully conditions permit them to come back, but if you like rolling courses that can play out a hundred different ways keep an eye for his events on bikereg

1 Like

Jim is a great guy and cyclist! Congratulations to him for sure :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

CCC is not a “racing” club but they sure do have some strong cyclists who ride regularly. One of the strongest cyclists I have ever met rides with them regularly. Absolute monster! The Thursday night ride is a very fast ride - one of the best!

1 Like

Do you post your photos online anywhere for the public to see? @joshuam

@dsheldo yup, Bike Lane sold their Springfield location but they still have their Reston one right along the W&OD trail (prime spot)

1 Like

@trpnhntr I’ll be on the lookout! I don’t think they did it the past couple years, but there is a road race in Charlottesville called “Jefferson Cup.” Is that run by Joe or is the name just a coincidence? I’ve had my eye on that one.

Does anyone know if the morning training rides still happen at Hains Point early in the AM during the week? Those used to be good/convenient rides especially for folks working at the Pentagon/etc.

I haven’t made Thursday night as it’s a bit of a stretch to get there from work on time. But I love the Saturday morning.

1 Like

I’m not sure about that one! I’ve seen the noon ride happen recently though.

Just a coincidence I believe

1 Like

It’s a bit of a drive from DC, but the Garrett County Gran Fondo in late June is an absolutely incredible ride.

GARRETT COUNTY GRAN FONDO – GCGF 2022

3 Likes

Excellent place for structured outside workouts out where I am (about mile 72) as long as you don’t go out on a nice Saturday morning and head toward a busy spot. Not sure how crowded it is more towards DC.

1 Like