Wake Up Trainerroad!

This INSCYD software looks like it’s capable of generating a great rider profile from three trainer tests.

Seems like a good opportunity for TrainerRoad to partner with these guys!

The profile include:

• VO2max
  • VLaMax
  • power at MLSS
  • CarbMax
  • FatMax

The three trainer tests are:

• 15 second all out seared Sprint
  • 4 min over paced effort
  • 20 min overpaced effort

More discussion on this in the following post.

2 Likes

I think the opposite is true. When you go easier, the intervals only gets longer - that would encourage people to try even harder.

1 Like

That’s a sure-fire way of turning a VO2max workout into a threshold ride. Not what anybody wants.

1 Like

I think the issue might be about trying to impart a certain amount of stress in a workout. I think the way Xert quantifies the amount of stress to complete an interval also considers workout fatigue. As the workout progresses, the body fatigues therefore an interval at the same intensity and duration later in a WO will have a higher level of stress than the same interval at the beginning of the WO. Thus, if you are trying to impart a specific stress with one of a set of repeating intervals, you can either reduce the intensity or the duration of the later intervals, but the theory is to apply the same amount of stress for each interval in a series. I believe they might also adjust recovery intervals between work intervals as the WO progresses. I don’t believe the intensity reductions are too dramatic.

I don’t know that either approach is right or wrong.

I am using TrainingPeaks with my Coach where he sets my daily workout in their calendar, the cycling workouts syncronize on Zwift very easily and I have my workout in there. I could not care less about the fluffy part of Zwift, bonuses or levels, for the long aerobic rides (i.e: +3h) I would usually just put on some netflix or others and follow what needs to be done on their Companion app,

Sometime when I am off season, I would just for fun do some group rides and chat to some random people from all over the world which is actually not a bad way to pass my lonely time on the trainer.

Perhaps this doesn’t interest the hardcore TR fanatics but I believe a lot of people are on my side too

(sorry for my english)

Appreciate your point of view. I run and cycle because it’s fun and I enjoy challenging myself. Although I’ve got a plan loaded into the TR calendar, I’ll be spinning along on a Zwift workout tomorrow morning because that’s just what I feel like doing. The Zwift races are pretty fun too and I had some really good gains a couple of years ago by doing 1 of those a week along with a couple of easy rides and runs each week. Went from FTP of ~220 to 260 in about 6 months and had a good time doing it.

Maybe I’m just not focused enough, but I tend to feel burnt out and bored when I follow a cycling training plan closely. However, I have done well following running plans.

So I don’t see this as an either/or situation, just pick your ingredients and make something out of it that you enjoy. Most of us aren’t going to make a living riding a bike, so no need to take it too seriously. YMMV!

1 Like

I would like to change or add some fields to the workout screen. Can’t seem to find it anywhere.

Is it possible to have a next interval data field anywhere ? (318w 5min ish)

The fields are not adjustable. Some people have made a similar request in the recent past.

Your best option right now is to closely review the workout via.the app or website before, to see the workout details.

1 Like

I think Trainer roed user are samrt and educated enough not to do this.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I use intelligent cycling for spin classes and I have become very addicted to this information :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It isn’t a sure fire way to do that. The only sure fire way to do that is to have the intent to do that. What is being discussed is a sure fire way to ensure that the workload of an interval is as intended.

If a person back pedals during an interval while using trainer road, that time is lost and the person won’t do the amount of work that was intended. Using Xert, the interval increases in time to ensure that the correct amount of work is done.

Emil,
Just thought of a kind of solution for you. You’ll need to download Workout Creator so you’ll also need an Adobe add-on. Easier to do than it sounds.
Then open it up and clone the next work-out you want to add data to etc.
Name it “Emil’s Pettit” for example and at each segment you require prior warning you can add all that in. So you’re coming towards the end of a recovery phase and you know its about to hit FTP x 110% for 5 min well add text using the “Edit text” option and BOOM at the time you’ll need to see that to prepare yourself it will appear when you run through “Emil’s Pettit”.
Hope that helps.

1 Like

For now im just estimating the next wattage and trying to remember the intervals. Anything else becomes too complicated. Thank you for the answer tho :slight_smile:

Now that would be cool, I’d love an ‘explain it like I’m 5’ type description of my power graphs and what I might want to improve, and how to do it.

Any updates on having a single favorite workouts list shared across web and mobile apps?

Nothing official that I have seen at this time. Just confirmation that it is on the “to do” list.

2 Likes

Personally I love how TR is completely focused on the practical side of things without any extra social fluff. I’d love for them to expand on the analytic/tracking side of things and add stuff like equipment/configuration – Strava’s “gear” thing lightly touches on this but it doesn’t work well with things like multiple wheelsets or tracking indoor/outdoor miles.

This is something on our eventual to-do list, but it has not yet been slated into our Development Roadmap. Due to other major projects we are currently working on, we will not be able to tackle this in the near future :pensive:.

3 Likes

Was that you on Slowtwitch that got me to change the title of the TrainerRoad thread?

Doubtful. I am rarely on the ST forums and only follow a few threads on there.
My tag is “Chader09” on there, if that helps.