VO2max Struggles

I totally see that! I’ve questioned a few things about my training plan. I’m doing a 12 hour mountain bike race in September and have questioned how I’m going to get there with not having any rides longer than 2 hours. I know others have had success following their plans to a ‘T’ and that TR puts an emphasis on weekly TSS instead of time. Still, the lack of long saddle time makes me nervous. I’m trying to “trust the process” but it’s in my nature to question everything. :grimacing:

1 Like

@tmarieg3, most of the plans include an ‘option’ for a longer endurance ride instead of the (usually Sunday) sweet spot ride. Use those to increase your saddle time, either inside or outside. Add 10 miles each week until it’s time to taper.

I’d agree with not pausing intervals. I’d rather go all out for as long as I can and then ease back a bit than start and stop. Even if not, I think it’s better to give yourself a ten second rest whilst the clock is still ticking and then get back on it for the last 20 seconds of the interval.

When you pause, you’ll never really be able to look back and know how much time you were paused for / what you did whilst pausing.

You’re really going to want to do some long mtb rides prior to your race to dial in your nutrition strategy, pacing & to sus out any fit issues you may not have in a couple of hours that could put you out of the race at hour 10. I’d highly recommend doing a couple of 6 hour relatively hard rides as part of your race prep/training.

I think it was 2018 or 2019 when Nate did whatever the 200 mile race in Kansas is now called and he said he only trained 2 hour trainer rides leading up to it. Its not unheard of.

Personally I stayed with the 80% of race distance methodology and would build up so I got close to that distance/time before the event. I would not recommend 10 hours on the trainer in any way shape or form…seems brutal

Thanks! That is good advice. I didn’t think about how I wouldn’t have the whole picture. Now that I know you don’t have to autopause I will make sure I turn it off.

I will definitely be doing some longer rides leading up to the race. I have had a lot of time on the mountain bike, so I am not worried about fit issues, moreso mental strength of the long day, and like you said, fueling. The longest stretch I have had on a bike in the past couple years is 6 hours which is still A LOT less than 12.

1 Like

Good lord that would be painful! I haven’t made it past 3 hours on the trainer. My level of tolerance/enjoyment starts exponentially declining after 2 hours. My long rides will definitely be outside once its nicer here in Maine.

You doing 12hrs of Bradbury Mtn? I often almost registered for that but never pulled the trigger. I’m down near Springfield, MA.

I am! There are still open spots. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I contemplated it for a few years then of course finally pulled the trigger the year it was cancelled. Excited to get my @ss kicked this year!

1 Like

I’m still working my way back from a knee injury. Assuming it holds up, I’m sure I’d be able to do Bradbury but breaking 10hrs at Shenandoah is the priority this year! Think I’m heading to SSUSA in August but that’s bound to be more shenanigans than racing :rofl:

Awesome! I might be there too. Right now my only mtb is my single speed. I was silly and sold my xc race bike right before covid. Luckily if my new bike doesn’t get here in time for Bradbury, I can fit on my husband’s bike.

Good luck with your knee! I think if you can do Shenandoah you’d have no issue with Bradbury unless you’re still recovering! Haha

1 Like

I really struggle with vo2max intervals too. With current FTP setting other workouts like threshold, O/U´s and SS feels correct but 2+ minutes vo2max @ 120% intervals are still impossible . I´m not sure if I get from those vo2max workouts any benefits. Rather the opposite because motivation suffers from failures.

2 Likes

Unsure if this is helpful BUT

I use to struggle with V02Max REALLY bad. I got my FTP to about 280 and could barely do any efforts above 105%. But V02max comes really quick once you start doing it, and doing it properly - Also the ‘zone’ is anywhere above 105% so don’t shy away from really dialling it down if it meets your needs.

Note: I’ve done years of base miles so I can hold SS/Tempo for hours etc - it’s how I’ve built my engine.

I started doing V02max intervals 3 weeks ago after including some 30-30, 50-40 and 90x90 V02max efforts scattered loosely during the later blocks of base phase, - not full workouts but just something to do on my long z2 rides - some sprints here and there really don’t hurt but I’ve never done them prior to TR. Either way, I was certain I wouldn’t ever be able to do 120% @ 3min BUT I’m slowly and surely making my way there.

Progression -
9x2.5 @ 300W (111%)
7x3 @ 300W Increase duration (111%)

10x2.5 @ 315W (Decrease duration, increase intensity)

• Big jump just in 2 weeks I jumped 15 watts to 315W = 116.6% + I did an extra interval as I felt so good that I could complete the workout!

9x2.5 @ 325W (120%) (My next planned workout)
7x3 @ 325 (120%) (My Goal)

SO - trust the process - with V02max Workouts, things really do work quickly so don’t worry about dialing it down for the first couple of weeks. Just 3 v02max sessions I feel a huge boost to my FTP so I’m excited to test again soon!

Good Luck!

5 Likes

Have you tried a massive fan … not joking. Get too hot and you body will natural limit your effort

You can do it! Go go go!

:wink:

3 Likes

This sounds great to me. I did Spencer +2 this morning, 6x3mins @ 120%. I made it half way through the first one before knowing there was no way so dialled it down to 90%, then was ok. Took it back up to 92% for the last 3 intervals.

VO2max is hard!

2 Likes

Allez! Allez! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

V02max is terrible but the gains are quick and that can be motivating!

What also helped was in the podcast they spoke about pain/digging deep - most of us try our best to avoid pain whereas they found that in professional athletes they learnt from pain, anticipated it, and took a more curious and open approach to pain!

So in your next V02Max workout try not to ignore the pain but feel it! sounds sadistic but it worked for me! V02max is less intimidating now compared to last time :slight_smile:

Maybe I didn’t explain it properly - Pain Tolerance, Body Fat, Descending and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 211 - YouTube

3 Likes

Yeah, but pro athletes are being paid for it! …and they’re clearly idiots! :crazy_face:

5 Likes

VO2 max also seems to be one of those workouts where ERG mode is not helpful.

As others have said, the power target is secondary to upping heart rate and oxygen uptake.

You could try switching to resistance mode. Get your HR and breathing up and the use your gears to hang on for the rest of the interval.

Whenever I’m doing vo2 max and Chad’s workout text suggests I might want to increase the intensity I really wonder who he’s talking to because it sure isn’t me! When it’s vo2 max my intensity setting only ever goes down :slight_smile:

4 Likes