VO2 max intervals with sprint bursts - worth it?

Someone please convince me that workouts like Guard, Opheim and Verdugo are worth my while. I’m on the Masters climbing RR plan and I’ve got a whole series coming up. Guard is 2’ of VO2 max interspersed with 6 s at 150-200%. The prompt is to stand up for the bursts, but I’m a bit cautious about not putting too much strain on the bike, so that doesn’t quite work for me. And I don’t want to train my sprinting/bursts anyway. Should I persevere with these or find alternatives?

You will do the workouts you like with greater consistency. Do what makes YOU better. If that means ditching the surges and picking an alternate, do it. :+1:t2:

1 Like

You are not going to break your bike standing and hammering for 6 seconds. I’ve done it a thousand times over the years with no ill effects.

6 Likes

But it’s my precious carbon bike :laughing:

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

It’s good to train all systems, but nothing is mandatory.

2 Likes

Overrated! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::drum:

2 Likes

Short of user error in clamping the bike, you aren’t going to break your bike. One also has to use some common sense, like not trying to rock the bike back and forth when sprinting. You have to adapt to the fixed bike. It’s not really “sprinting” like you do outside, it’s more like hammering out of the saddle like you are on a stairmaster or something.

Six seconds is really no big deal… Just don’t do the out of the saddle effort if you don’t want to.

Ha yes :laughing:

1 Like

My recommendation is to just do those bursts seated. I’m sure some will disagree but I’d avoid any standing sprints or standing bursts on the trainer. Even if you have a rocker plate the mechanics will be pretty different than a standing sprint/burst outside.

IMHO it is worth it to do seated sprints/bursts on a trainer, however. It carries over to the second part of an outdoor sprint when you’re low, aero, and seated.

I’ve also never damaged a bike from sprinting and I can hit ~1200 watts seated if I really go for it.

1 Like

I never liked these either, they are very hard to perform and when I did TR I always opted for iirc diamond valley road race and similar alternates

1 Like

So weird how different we all are. I’d say a standing 6 second sprint is one of the easiest things to do on a trainer.

3 Likes

But wouldn’t it be a case of what is the best compromise ? If you get out of the saddle on the road to sprint or climb, surely doing the same on the same on the turbo, ever if mechanically different, would be less different than sitting when you would stand ?

As to hurting the bike on the turbo, I have a old 2010 TCR Advanced SL, on the turbo and it has seen some series abuse, it’s on a Neo 2T with motion plates, bui it’s been airborne more than once (a month) and no signs of damage

4 Likes

Thanks everyone. I guess I’ll persevere with these workouts, unenthusiastically. Hoping that I’ll get a good vo2 max benefit from them regardless.

1 Like

You might want to check the post before mine

1 Like

From description:
Imagine hammering up a short climb and being able to jump 2 bike lengths up the road while everyone behind you gasps for air.

If you need it, sure. But if you goal is just to improve VO2max, maybe traditional 3-6min intervals are more straightforward approach?

2 Likes

Check it again with the viewpoint that I was responding to it? It’s not that complicated :man_facepalming::man_shrugging:

1 Like

I once broke a bike frame while sprinting on the trainer. It was an ultralight balsa wood frame made by Estes; couldn’t handle sprinting but man, talk about climbing like a rocket…

3 Likes