Virtual Aero Bars Banned, Give Me a Break!

Me too - I doubt it exists.

I can, anecdotally, tell you of two super tuck crashes and one virtual aero bars crash. Super tucks were not in races, but group rides, and both happened when someone in the position wobbled and went down. Aero bars was in a training crit where someone in that position just fell over - presumably a gust of wind, but no clue

I’ve also ridden literally thousands of miles behind people in the virtual aero bars position without any issues, but as a taller rider I’m kind of excited people won’t be such crummy drafts for me

3 Likes

Hit the nail on the head. Meanwhile I have no doubt that we’ll see multiple crashes inside the final 5km in this year’s Tour, caused by tight corners, road furniture, and roundabouts. Oh and I suppose it’s perfectly fine to be racing on roads as slick as ice like in stage 2 of last year’s tour, or to have barriers which send riders back into the pack then they crash.

4 Likes

I’m with the “give me a break crowd” for banning both the super tuck & virtual aero bars.

The UCI should be spending its time on:

• Course safety - this includes barricades
  • Motor vehicle - cars, motor cycles - interference
  • Growing the sports revenue
19 Likes

This.

Yeah…they probably felt like in the interest of consistency if they told riders they could ride descents seated on the top tube…well then they couldn’t ride down the road steering with their elbows.

But, as somebody else in this thread pointed out: if safety is the primary concern it makes a lot more sense to figure out how to run a grand tour without three dozen motorcycles riding among & around the peloton/breakaway.

To me, it’s nothing. I don’t think there will ever come a day when I’ll be watching a race & say to myself, “This would be a whole lot better if some of these riders would sit on their top tube. Or steer with their elbows.” Don’t care too much one way or the other.

1 Like

Has anyone found the actual UCI regulations for either this - banning virtual aero bars - or the super tuck ban? I looked on the UCI website, and I couldn’t find the wording. I’m really curious how they wrote the bans, so try and reverse engineer what it does / doesn’t really cover.

I’ll admit, I have very little anecdotal evidence of people crashing from this.

Because when I see people do it, I leave. I am not riding around people who do this crap. I have no problem riding 100 miles or more solo (I usually do it once a week).

2 Likes

If you want a silver lining, just rest assured that every minute they spend concocting stupid rules like sock length and hand position is another minute they can’t spend covering up positive doping findings among “protected” riders.

2 Likes

No need for the UCI: If anyone gets into a “super-tuck” on an unsanctioned group ride, that’s a lifetime ban (at least from that group ride and certainly from any ride I’m involved in). That’s one-strike-and-you’re-out territory.

Truth. Seems like some enterprising safety dog in Aigle might go for low-hanging fruit like this:

strava should ban down hill koms.

4 Likes

Good I’m glad. It leads to amateurs doing thhis and I’m tired of it.

This would be a good reply if time was the sole constraint on doing those[quote=“AlphaDogCycling, post:23, topic:52700”]
The UCI should be spending its time on:

• Course safety - this includes barricades
  • Motor vehicle - cars, motor cycles - interference
  • Growing the sports revenue
    [/quote]

This would be a good reply if time constraints were the only reason these things are not being addressed.

IMHO there are far dangerous issues that UCI should address immediately. In retrospect of Fabio Jakobsen crash this ban is a insulting joke to everyone in the pro peloton!

In fairness, he UCI also laid out steps they would be taking to improve barrier standards / safety in the same memo.

2 Likes

I’m curious about the enforcement of these bans… if the fines and point deduction are per instance or per race. If someone wins riding away on a descent in the supertuck will their win still count? What if two teammates make a selection and one of them pulling employs the virtual aero bars position and leads out a winning sprint?

Fantastic loophole the way the penalties are currently written.

1 Like

This is very frustrating to see from my perspective. The UCI seems to be addressing issues that are of little to no valid concern for professional athletes while not addressing serious issues like those pointed out above (unnecessarily dangerous course selections, unsafe road conditions for riders, education and compensation to their athletes dealing with head injuries, psychological trauma, eating disorders, insufficient compensation for athletes, etc.). Whether the UCI means well or not, it seems I am not alone in feeling frustrated by that contrast.

Removing my bias, the UCI regulating these behaviors seems problematic due to:

1. The slippery slope fallacy this has introduced and it’s implications on the abilities of professional athletes to do their job safely.
  2. The inconsistency that this highlights with other more dangerous / concerning things these athletes endure that remain unregulated.

I also don’t believe the UCI makes rules to “set a safe/responsible example for amateurs”. If that was the case, they’d be doing what I noted above and instead banning things like holding races in unsafe conditions, etc.

Cycling is inherently dangerous. That doesn’t mean we should just turn a blind eye to all danger and not be analytical about how we can improve it, but it does mean cyclists need to take ownership of the consequences that come with their choices in the circumstance of cycling. For me, part of taking ownership in this regard looks like the following:

• Deciding to let that paceline go and drop off the back if a rider is doing puppy dog hands and I’m uncomfortable with it.
  • Deciding to not do a supertuck if my lack of ability to execute it puts me or anybody else at risk.
  • Deciding to respect the rights of others to do this and choosing safer alternatives for myself.
  • Deciding to respect the wishes of fellow riders in a non-race situation if they ask me not to do these things.
  • Deciding to not ride on that sketchy stretch of road even though it’s in our weekly ride.
  • Deciding not to race if conditions are unsafe.

To be clear, I feel that none of the above sounds as fun or appealing as the alternative choice, and it might feel frustrating if somebody else’s choices are the driving force behind that, but hey, us amateurs are not paid to do this sport so life very much goes on when we take responsibility and choose safety.

Regarding group rides and amateur racing, I still don’t think these things should be explicitly banned, but that’s not my place to decide either.

In the end, I think we have to keep separate the two circumstances here of UCI regulating pro racing and how we personally experience these things in a non-professional, and even non-regulated arena.

But all of this makes me question “Why?”, and I think the answer to that is super clear: The UCI is actually the NWO, is headquartered below Denver International Airport and Bill Gates is at the helm.

26 Likes

Well, from what I’ve seen, the UCI can barely walk, let alone walk and chew gun at the same time.

My point: these two bans got introduced quickly without causing any known crashes at the pro level, but the real issues (IMHO) like course safety, motor vehicle safety (see Johnny Hoogerland 2011 TDF crashed caused by a car), etc. require “more study”?

Imma just gonna let @Jonathan speak for me on this issue from now on…spot on.

4 Likes