Upload Run and Swim workouts from Garmin/Strava to TR calendar (Feature Request)

We’re in the same boat (see what i did there…cause we can’t swim for $hit)

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the ML will offer every single triathlete a swim workout every day…:wink:

2 Likes

I’ve used TR tri plans for over 2 years now to great success and loved them. Obviously it would be nice if my running and swimming workouts uploaded to TR, but even if they did, I’m not sure what that would accomplish as I don’t even enter them into TR at the moment. (Could be slightly different now that Adaptive Training has been announced). I use TR for the workouts and building my overall training plan… and feel like it provides more than enough value for money. I use TrainingPeaks for tracking of all metrics, which accepts all workouts. If one day the TR calendar could provide all the tracking and planning functionality of TrainingPeaks I’d love to drop my TP subscription and just use TR, but it’s not something I really expect out of TR at this point.

1 Like

I thought you raised a good point that I was thinking about before you edited.

Can ML be applied to non-cycling data in the ways that allow adaptive training? Maybe. Pool swimming and lifting are naturally structured activities with theoretically easily quantifiable data as to what was planned and what was achieved, running - not so much imo. Perhaps I’m oversimplifying, but for adaptive workouts that’s all you really need to know is what was the athlete asked to do, and if they could achieve it.

So swim 20x100 off 1m40s, lift 5x50kg, but running is like go for a 10km run which might have a big hill or varied terrain…I don’t know, there’s just more variable isnt there

Edit - maybe you could predict values from HR, like they are with outdoor rides without power meters…actually, that would be it. I’m sure of it.

Edit 2 They would need a base of data from Stryd users first though.

I deleted it, because I thought they could keep just the same level of integration.
I.e. adaptive bike workouts and just non-adaptive swim/run sessions.
Getting with all three sports on the same level would add a huge load of complexity to the system.

I feel like the endgame and the ultimate for triathletes would be complete ML for all disciplines. Hopefully when running power gains more mainstream traction there can be power targets that can be sent to watches to perform in a way that is similar to bike workouts. That’d be amazing.

1 Like

The problem with running is you have HR and pace as metrics… We would need something that is absolute and doesnt really depend on external factors to have better reading of whats going on…

Swim is even worse with just the speed…

and pace gets affected by elevation when running as well…surface/terrain depending on season too

swimming at the pool is one thing but for triathletes open water swimming opens up a whole can of worms of currents and HR data can only be provided by a specific type of HR strap…

a lot of variables and a lot of data to feed the MonsterLearning machine
(i gotta trademark that)

1 Like

Sure, but Ive always suspected this is why they have delayed progress on this. Just parsing the data is hard but I don’t think Nate want’s to do something that’s “basic”.

Anyway, I’m getting way ahead of things given the announcement was only a few hours ago :smiley:

2 Likes

I see the progression getting there…also, a night or two found another small traithlon specific adaptive platform (PerfectPace), have dug deep to see what it actually does, but TR has such a vast amount of data (@JoeX drink) that what they could do is quite wild.

1 Like

H aha, I’m out of Likes today otherwise you’d get one :wink:

Maybe I took too many drinks in the podcasts, but I’m wondering if you are no longer interested in the work done (quantifying a run or swim effort and all the problems that entails), but instead you are only interested in whether the athlete could complete the task - e.g. a 60 min RPE6 run - then you don’t need to really worry about measuring the run or swim as objectively.

You’d still be able to say this athlete has progressed their run, sprint or swim, endurance - because they did the workout. You can then adapt the next session and over time you can then adapt the plan.

1 Like

Could be, except that as a poor runner their progression could be a huge ramp for me if only based on did the workout. Likewise, in swimming the progression for me would be too slow (as swimming is my stronger sport). Maybe even use a generic algorith for TSS to start collecting the data so they can then have the learning data. Not as easy with cycling where power is so much more reliable.

As others have been saying, I wanted to +1 this feature request. It seems like a lot of the heavy lifting is already being done by TrainerRoad we just need support for runs and swims. As other’s have mentioned, this is the last feature that would basically kill of TrainingPeaks for many triathletes. We want to track overall TSS on a calendar. TrainerRoad does 95% of that already. If you are doing their triathlete plans it even calculates TSS, but just doesn’t import the activities. I feel like we are SO CLOSE on this. Can’t wait to see it implemented. However, this feature is now 3 years old! I am surprised that it is still open and hasn’t been added yet.

5 Likes

+1

Maybe it will come, when the podcast crew will fulfill their announced triathlon dreams.
(But this announcement is years old as well.)

Right now they are probably fighting the AI hydra.
They also seem to be a bit time crunched at the moment. Not the best time in life to sacrifice as much time as possible for the triathlon time sink. :wink:

4 Likes

At the end of the day, it’s a matter of priorities: the loss of revenues from non-renewals of triathletes that value this calendar feature as important (like me), is probably insignificant compared to the new/retained revenues from cyclists attracted by AT and the likes :frowning:

2 Likes

Yeah but I don’t know. AT was exciting in February whether I do workout X or workout X-1 or +1 just doesn’t seem as important as my swim technique or my run pacing.

And compared to the daily hassle of processing swims and runs through other apps then manually updating TR Calendar…:grimacing:

I’m a big fan of TR obviously but triathlon is hard enough and time consuming enough without pointless extra hassle. This may be my last season with them, it’s just taken me years to realise Tri has become less important to them, not more.

11 Likes

@JoeX this has certainly got harder with AT. I used to load my plan into TraingingPeaks from TR; but will AT you actually never know what the workout will be… Now that AT looks to be adjusting Run distance/time; it may not be long before all three disciplines are being adapted - I need TrainingPeaks because TR isn’t an analytics platform and so I keep using WKO. Keeping everything in sync has become really hard. Have you found a process that works for you? How are you planning the workload over the next few months, or potentially out to a season?

2 Likes

I’d agree with your conclusion - if TR plans are adaptive, it’s going to be a struggle to use the plan on another platform. Of course you can still analyse the activities on TP, right but not in comparison to the planned activity?

I’m not using Training Peaks anymore I tried it for about 4 months for running. I’ve been using Garmin for a couple of months now, bike and run, if I want to analyse a ride I look at TrainerRoad. I don’t do much run analysis, but I am using a 5 day per week Garmin Coach (adaptive) run plan. It would be much easier for me if the run workouts synched - either way.

Sending the TR tri swim plan to Garmin as a workout would be great too. I’ve just two days ago started using Garmin for swim recording but the analysis/editing seems to be weak.

Planning - TrainerRoad Calendar
Recording - Garmin only*, TR app for Ramp
Analysis - TrainerRoad (Bike), Garmin (Run), possibly back to Swim.com (Swim)

*Until the changes DCR announced start working

TrainerRoad could beat Garmin on the indoor running front if it accepts and processes Zwift Runs or RunCline fit files etc - as completing a run workout - Garmin doesn’t do this, it will only tick a workout as done if a Garmin device records the speed on a treadmill which is totally unreliable.

1 Like

TR is the perfect run platform already if they add Stryd support :). It would not take much work.

Fingers crossed that the ingestion of run and swim files is a soon to be released feature. When I record my RPE in TraingingPeaks I also update the planned duration - that at least gives me some view of plan compliance.

2 Likes

How does Garmin Coach interact with your other workouts? Meaning, if you destroy yourself on a bike workout does the next run adjust? Or do the Garmin Coach workouts only adjust based on completed runs?