Untrained FTP for a New Cyclist

Yes those are certainly words

And they certainly describe the facts of the situation.

Pretty good number! You are young ´and free´ :wink:

I started at 42 and had a ftp of 180. I have small kids, job, obligations etc… I cant see fast track to rise my ftp, but not having family commitments and genetics in your favour, you can be a fast hobby rider or even a great competitor if you sharpen your fitness because in the ftp alone cant win you a podium.
Whatever bro, make good use and fun of it! cheers.

1 Like

Ha, what broscience? OBNDY explained very well where the OP lies in a distro of VO2Max. Interesting but also not an answer to the question. The OPs actual question was:

The answer to that question is not answered by OBNDY nor my second response. It is more accurately answered by the first of my 2 responses. What level is that for someone untrained? Untrained.

My second response was also we have no idea, but pointing out there are some obvious extremes that may make it an even more unanswerable question. How far you can go is controlled by how strong a response to training stimulus your body has and how well it can recover from that stress. If we could predict that from your starting point based on a v02max test the reality of pro sports recruiting would differ from our current system. I stand by my answer. How long is this string.

1 Like

No it was not! OBNDY provided an science backed overview of where OP is. Exactly what OP was asking. To recap: slightly above average in his age group.

What you wrote on the contrary was completely arbitrary. Also you answered a question OP wasn’t asking. Hint: he didn’t not ask how far he can go. Also your examples were useless as OP specified his background. So yeah, enough said.

What are you measuring power on? I ask because I started off on a cheap “smart” trainer. I thought my 20 minute power was 300 watts but in reality, it was never close. :slight_smile:

My only advice is that if you are getting serious, make sure you are testing and training on good reliable and accurate equipment.

1 Like

No he didnt. He didnt claim to. He showed where the OPs vo2max lies on the bell curve of TR users (many of whom are NOT untrained). Its interesting data but does that answer “what sort of level is that for someone untrained.” OBNDY tends to be fairly precise in his answers so one possible assumption is he gave an interesting piece of information because the actual question cant be answered.

Also not true. I made up my (fake, intentionally snarky and stupid) scenarios as possible within the dataset provided. He didnt give height just weight so we have no data on body comp so i picked short and fat (fits our data) and taller and lean (also fits the data). I assumed no previous athletic experience of any kind and I assumed a LOT of experience in a way that would not be ‘endurance training’ which is all he said. Hell, I didnt even pick a sport just “D1 ball” which could easily mean several things and most of the people who play them would not consider themselves “endurance athletes”.

2 Likes

Let’s start with what you and OBNDY wrote.

His statement has nothing to do with the bell curve of cyclists on TrainerRoad. Hint: google VO2Max by age group and gender.

Now to your second paragraph:

His height and sports history are completely irrelevant. Thanks to research we have a pretty good understanding of average VO2max values by age group, gender, and fitness background (e.g trained and sedentary). Including the corresponding standard deviations (google it!). As we know OPs FTP we can approximate his VO2Max and assess where he is currently at.

So yes, not only did you not answer his question you also tried to discredit people who actually did for the sake of stroking egos.

Well it’s turned into another one of “those” threads. :+1:t4:

4 Likes

Exactly my point - even with smart trainers or if you forgot to calibrate them - number changes from person to person and really can’t be compared as people make it up to be. I personally use an Infocrank both outside and on my smart trainer and has helped tremendously with consistency. but even with the same power meter my outdoor and indoor power are quite different. so; what is 250watts anyway? who knows but let go of numbers and put some miles in (to the poster).

1 Like

This post is a battle of the poster trying to seek a bit of encouragement, those not willing to give encouragement, those willing and people like me who are just here to be entertained.

4 Likes

Comment might be targeted at the “new” aspect vs the “untrained” aspect. For someone who is new to cycling I would recommend the same. Ride, have fun, and explore your limits. Having goals and formulating a “why” is an important precursor to structured training.

1 Like

I did the test on my bike out on a flat section of road (I have Assioma pedals if that helps).

Then your result is probably pretty damn accurate. You’re starting from a decent place - now enjoy the journey!

1 Like

Well… post 1:

Post 9

So it’s fairly hard to argue he didn’t answer the question, and it’s hard to argue with the maths/calculations/research base behind it.

If you don’t like the phrasing or consider the response unhelpful, that’s a different argument altogether (note: I’m not saying those things, I’m inferring what other people may actually be taking issue with).

2 Likes

Depending on two assumptions:

• Efficiency
  • % VO2max at FTP

the VO2max (relative) can vary quite a bit:

and here are the standards for VO2max by age

Source: Edge 530 - VO2 Max. Standard Ratings

In any case, you can see there are wide swings in VO2max based on your fractional utilization (FTP as % of VO2max) and efficiency. One of several reasons that FTP is considered the single largest determinant of performance.

1 Like

If the OP’s FTP estimate is based on TR’s ramp test, there is no such assumption involved.

1 Like

good point! If using TrainerRoad’s Ramp Test to estimate FTP, that leaves relative VO2max only subject to variations in efficiency:

That spreadsheet assumes that Wmax* equates to 100% of VO2max, which isn’t correct.

*Avoiding the equivalent terms of MAP or Pmax to minimize confusion.

even so, the point should be clear.