UK users looking for a Lasko fan, check this out... Thanks to Hugo1!

Maybe I need to resurrect my project from last year :grin:

1 Like

Yours is a great example. I think the control is amazing, but so much can be gained from simple control of the power and fan settings.

It could be as easy as a single button remote that goes through the range of power and speeds.

• Press 1 time switch from Off to Low.
  • Press a 2nd time to move from Low to Medium.
  • Press a 3rd time to move from Medium to High.
  • Press a 4th time to move from High to Off.

Off topic, but it always bugs me that most fans are set in this pattern:

• Off, High, Medium, Low

When I think it should be a progression:

• Off, Low, Medium, High

How many other things in life turn on at max function and then you have to turn them down? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I started with one of these and was very impressed - so much so that I bought another one and now use two together. They really are superb little blowers. I position one just to the left of the front wheel and the other to the right. With this combination, I find that the lowest setting on both blowers is sufficient. However, on hot days I have them on the second setting. You only need one wall socket, as one blower can be plugged in to the other. Genius.

Through a process of trial and error, I’ve established the ideal position and tilt for the blowers and have set up a mounting board for the fans and a mount for my mobile. The blowers have little rubber feet, and I’ve found that these fit perfectly into Shimano cleats. So, I’ve fastened four cleats to the board, which provides me with the optimum set up and position for the blowers, first time every time.

On the same board I’ve also attached a mount for my mobile. This is an Ikea screw on leg for one of their tables (cost £2.50 - search for " adils legs" on their website). Onto this, I attach an adjustable goose neck holder for my phone ( cost around £15.00 - Google “Tryone Gooseneck Tablet Stand”).

My entire set-up (including bike and turbo) takes me five minutes to assemble. Job done.

12 Likes

Very nice. I’m on the same boat, was very impressed when I got mine, but must have got used to it or something, would like a little more cooling. I do use one of rooms where I cannot have them permanent, so something quick to remove would be ideal.

Thanks for sharing this :+1:

1 Like

The reason they do it this way is the fan motor starts better at full power. I have my app set up this way - regardless of the fan speed setpoint, it always starts at 100%, stays there for a few seconds, and then adjusts to the setpoint.

2 Likes

Must be annoying if someone comes home mid interval!

1 Like

That’s what locks are for :sunglasses:

1 Like

Wow. You must sweat a lot!

1 Like

Took me several rides to find a position that worked for me. I’ve also gone down the route of placing it about 2 meters in front of me at handlebar level, tilted up slightly. Even then, I’m using it on the maximum setting - and I’m not exactly in a warm sunny climate!

It’s a good product, and I’m glad I bought it, but I do think it’s been over-hyped in this thread.

I just couldn’t get on with it at all when it was on the floor angled upwards.

A remote controlled socket gives me few minutes to warm up a bit before turning the fan on, but compared to my previous fan, I do miss not being able to adjust the fan speed during the workout.

We’ve had very different experiences then.

I’ve barely had mine up past the 2nd setting and it’s now getting close to being too cold for the lowest setting for me in an unheated garage (in Scotland).

That’s what I just don’t understand. Clearly we are all different, but I’ve been drowning in sweat in an unheated garage - which wasn’t what I expected based on what I’m sure are genuine reviews on here.

The evidence of people using extra fans alongside this one suggests that others are struggling a bit as well.

Do you have the garage door open?

1 Like

Doors are closed and the building itself holds a bit more heat than the outside so not absolutely freezing just yet (awaiting the true winter as we moved in this summer).

It would be interesting to see others setups in the flesh. Particularly the guy upthread who had four of these things (2 front and rear) who is clearly struggling with heat management!

One to the left, one to the right, stuck in the middle… Sorry an old 70s hit. Stealers wheel!

1 Like

Tell me about it! :sweat_smile:

I don’t think more air will make you cooler if it’s warm and humid in the room. It’s like riding outside one of those horrible (“beautiful”) days, even at 40 km/h you’re pouring sweat. At least that’s how it works for me. If one of these fans at max setting isn’t enough, get AC, cold drinks, or just call it “heat training”.
Also, I prefer to have the fan aimed at my chest. The air hitting my face and the rest of the body is then just enough.

Gary,

I’m sure someone else pointed this out but if you find a way to toss the Cleva so it has puts out air in a vertical as opposed to horizontal line, you’ll be the boss.

2 Likes

I bought one of these, thanks to recommondations here. Have to admit I hate fans and the noise they make, so I just didn’t have one before. The Airmover is still a bit too loud for me, about the same level as my wheel-on trainer. But I realised at some point that I might be sabotaging my training by making my body use energy for cooling that could be used for powering my legs. And I really struggled with longer intervals, which I thought could be due to overheating. I have it set up about 1.5m away from me, at an angle, and angled upwards using the middle feet, so the airstream hits my upper body. Not gone past setting 1 yet, which seems fine. I still sweat a little on my face, but its a lot less than before! Don’t feel so much like overheating anymore either. Would recommend :+1:

I was thinking if I had 2, I could stack/strap them so they both fire air from a single point (being on top of each other, but exhausts meeting in the middle), this would give more square air pattern. But as Hugo says, perhaps on humid warm days it is not going to help much. Luckily the winter is close, haha, no, I didn’t say that :slight_smile:

Just don’t like running things on max…

1 Like

Try using headphones to lessen the wind noise. Bluetooth ones are very useful, but I tend to use a different mobile for the music, to a tablet for the workout. Mine is the Akgy50bt which I’d fully recommend for the music quality and noise reduction.

1 Like

Guys, just giving you a heads-up that we are down to the last 20 Air Mover fans in our UK warehouse.
Once they are gone (which will be within the next week), we’ll be out of stock until the next batch arrives from our factory in China in late November.

Also FYI, we are looking at the possibility of a remote control for the fan, but to set expectations accurately, even if it is possible to add this feature, it would be at least 2 years (and probably longer) before it would be available to buy.

12 Likes