UCI eSports World Championship

Isn’t the rule that you are only allowed to wear it at the category of riding where you won it? For example if you win it at MTB you are not allowed to wear the rainbow stripes in a road race?!

If that’s the case. All good, the winners can wear their jerseys in the basement :wink:

They have a digital jersey their avatar wears and they are also given an actual jersey they can wear during competitions…so when the feed cuts to a rider on their trainer, they would have a rainbow jersey on.

Back in the day, you could wear your rainbow jersey at an event that you did not win it in, at the invitation of the race organizer. For example, I saw Mike McCarthy wear his WC jersey at a crit in Denver when he won it in the track because the organizer asked him.

Similarly, you could wear the stripes on the sleeves of your jersey as a former champion in events that you were not a WC in…here is Stuart O’Grady in his road kit with his track WC stripes.

Both those rules have since been revised…for example you don’t see Wout or MVP with stripes on their sleeves today, even though they have both been WC in CX.

1 Like

I knew the event was happening, but I didn’t know the rides had taken place. I have not seen the results in my news feeds. Hasn’t made the BBC site yet. Does that tell us everything we need to know about how serious this is taken? The outside results would have made these news feeds by now.

It was covered in Velonews, Bicycling, CyclingTips, and other sites essentially the same day.

Here is a Google news return showing a range of stories.

https://www.google.com/search?q=esports+cycling+world+championships&client=ms-android-verizon&biw=360&bih=612&tbm=nws&sxsrf=ALeKk036imcmSBQHNSgMnJs0VvRS6oXNTA:1607781549443&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiao4SBzcjtAhUIsZ4KHZw0AUgQ_AUIjAYoBQ

Many of these showed in my FB feed via the 'liked groups that had articles inked above. So I have had direct and random showings of the pre and post event info.

1 Like

Sit in the front group then sprint for the win…isn’t that pretty much how Zwift racing goes? I’d like to see the solo long bomb!!!

1 Like

Zwift need to change the drafting to make that possible. Too strong now for real breaks to succeed most days.

6 Likes

It also makes catching back onto a group near impossible with even a minimal gap.

3 Likes

I know the industry is invested in eSports on Zwift as it is a new market, particularly when outdoor racing has been curtailed but…

1. How in the world do van der Bergen and van Vleuten get dropped in a race of this distance? This shows the problem with the Zwift drafting algorithm - cyclists of that quality could get back on if they are a mistake and were in a group that was gapped. It’s like Zwift has a the worst crosswinds imaginable.

2. Similarly, the inability to establish a breakaway makes Zwift racing pretty boring. I am grateful when it is all we have and a fan of the platform for social rides and racing but you simply cannot get away. Every race is like the last few kilometres of a sprint stage at a grand tour - its takes a huge effort to open a gap of any distance and they are impossible to maintain against riders of similar ability. Some of this is attributable to the washing machine effect where the riders doing pulls don’t need to rotate and can move through each other but it just seems off.

3. As observed by others how can you not show the whole race with races of this length?

4. The only real racing in the men’s race were the ill fated attempts at team tactics by the Canadians and a few efforts by Campenaerts and his teammates.

5. AMP has this thing figured out and the German men had the ideal tactics. Credit where it’s due.

Lots of room for improvement going forward but it will come down to Zwift tweaking the game.

It would be good if some of the coverage was a little more critical (constructively so) but this is an issue with cycling in general.

1 Like

Zwift has several problems that prevent it from being an interesting esport that would create a flywheel effect for it’s business

• Fitness floor is too high: the average cyclist can’t “race” with a friend that is new since races are all watts based, as a result there isn’t an easy way for someone to see something and then go do it
  • Skill ceiling is too low: intimate knowledge/practice of the game only confers minor advantages
  • Game mechanic iteration speed is too low: Zwift is incredibly slow to develop anything new
  • Cost barrier of entry is too high: it’s cycling, so you need a bike, and you also need a trainer with extra devices
  • Poor monetization structure: not really going to go into this but Zwift left at least a few hundred million dollars on the table with how they’ve approached monetization and revenue. Some of it is solvable, most of it is not though at this point since they have real brands in game, which was a huge mistake.

Some of these are solvable but they don’t appear well equipped to tackle them.

There are several game studios that I know that if they chose to pursue Zwift’s market would probably be able to take most of it’s player population.

Zwift reminds me of DayZ, which was disrupted by PubG, then followed of course by Fortnite.

4 Likes

Well, Zwift is not guaranteed to host the event every year. The UCI has said that they will have bids to host the WC, just as they have different cities bid to host the IRL races.

No doubt Zwift has a massive advantage, but it could go to Rouvy or another platform next year.

The winner of the men’s race gave the worst interview ever (the women’s was awesome! her whole place must still smell like champagne) …i couldn’t tell if he was happy, indifferent or not surprised at all that he won (smells like a cheater). Very typical that a German just focused on the numbers would win at this. I watched both races and the only thing that made it exciting was seeing how the IRL pro’s did and some americans (which they put out a good fight till the bitter end)
I’ve been getting into racing on both zwift and RGT platforms…they are fun feel kind’ve empty at the end compared to real road or mtb racing. mehhhhh