Training For a 24 Hour Race

You are a beast! Thanks for sharing the link to TP!

1 Like

This thread resonates for me. I Everested last year with @TractorBiker and we are planning an attempt at 10,000m this summer. The Everesting was about 18 hours and I expect the 10k m to be about 24.

I was also wondering how to prep for this on a mid volume plan. I ended up building a plan that culminated in ‘Sustained Power Build’ and ‘Century’, but added in to it 1 x Everesting Base Camp, 2 x 100 miles road rides and 1 x virtual Everesting, simply to get the long rides in.

A lot of the ultra endurance riding is mental; belief that you can do it. I think completing a vEveresting a month or so before the road Everesting really helped. That said, each event, each effort is different, complacency cannot get a look-in!

This year’s Base Camp is planned for the beginning of next month…

2 Likes

I agree, there is a real need for ultra endurance plans. I race Time Trials for 50, 100 and 12 hrs and thought its not as long as a 24hr, 12 still requires special training and attention. Whenever I put in 100m TT as my main race it gives me 40kTT as the final piece.

I did wonder if the ironman was suitable without the swim and run, but then you are into chopping up a plan.

I find that a MV plan, even with a long ride at the weekend, is not enough. So my only recourse this time of year is to drop to a LV and then add in longer sessions, and then, having taken speed into distance, add into the endurance to get that feel for pacing and fueling.

2 Likes

I used a supplemented Low Volume Plan for Everesting and Cent Cols Challenge Corsica last year and will do the same for an Everesting 10K attempt his year with @sunDOG21 . This is basically a LV Plan (Sustained Power Build, Century Speciality) with an optional outdoor weekend endurance ride on Sunday (or indoors if the weather is a bit :poop:). I also do 2 x 30 minute core workouts/week and 2 x 1 hour strength training sessions with a PT, along with a 40 minute ‘roll & stretch’ after every bike ride.

The rest as @sunDOG21 says is all in the head, along with a rock solid nutrition, hydration and electrolyte plan to get you through a very long day.

1 Like

good luck champ!

my strategy was super effective. I did high volume TT plan, then 6 weeks before the race I did 6 hour back to back rides on the weekends. 2 weeks of taper and I was fine.

The key for me was to not back off the intensity mid week.