TR Workout and Zwift racing

Like a few others have said, why would you enter a race if you’re not planing to race…that makes zero sense. With the way the world is now, and all events being cancelled now is the perfect time to jump into some Zwift races.
I’ve been guilty in the past of continuing to train like a triathlete even since I’ve become a roadie, where I’m mainly training and hardly racing, but bike racers race a lot! Learn how to suffer, smash yourself, etc.
My coach has now started prescribing days on my training calendar to find a Zwift race or two, which I’m now thinking is a pretty good thing. Because outside of group rides and races there is not much of a point to Zwift unless you like looking at what appears to be a PS2 game from 03.

3 Likes

I’ve done a bunch of the group ride events doing workouts. I think I did a Bologna TT race once so I could see the course while doing a TR workout. All I’d say about doing Zwift events/races via TR workout is “prepare to get passed… a lot.”

I don’t see a real issue with doing a TR workout during a race… you’re not impacting the top portion of it in all likelihood anyway and the race dynamics don’t exactly favor someone training in erg mode. With all that’s going on in Zwift racing these days, I’d say people doing third party workouts during races is probably somewhere at the bottom of lists of stuff to worry about.