Towels for the trainer

This is an interesting idea, I may have to try it. Living where it gets quite cold and dry outside in the winter I noticed my all of my basement windows have a fog on them after doing a single 1 hour ride in the morning.

I generally run a dehum in the basement for much of the humid summer, but maybe I’ll move it to my cycle room for intermittent operation in the winter rather than moving it to storage.

Also something we didn’t address, getting a stronger fan.

My fan makes me almost chilly when i start the ride. But once warmed up it’s just right and reduces sweat quite considerably. Now sometimes i have rides where i shut if off (esp z2) and end up turning into a puddle (and the towels is quite useful for those).

1 Like

Have you tried Laundry Softener? It’s could be cheaper than buying new towels

Agreed on the fan. Use multiple Lasko’s with a remote control, and kick them on once you’ve warmed up a bit. With the Lasko, you’ll still sweat (a bit), but nowhere enough to warrant 9000-thread count Egyptian virgin cotton toweling that your spouse will criticize your laundering technique.

(Not that I have any experience in that realm)

3 Likes

When I am not doing a hard work out I end up with fan not pointed at me since it makes me cold. On my rest intervals I have to point it away since it makes me cold. I have a lasko with in touching distance

1 Like

Those sound soft

Though good fans are a prerequisite, I don’t think others understand those of us that sweat profusely. I use 2 Lasko fans in addition to 2 smaller fans, workout in nothing but a bib liner and a 66 degree room, yet I have dripping sweat from a z2 recovery ride. I also have some of my hand towels that are rougher than others, so I will definitely be looking into the microfiber version.

My damn washing machine doesnt seem to like to dispense that product into the wash. I do run a water softner

More and better fans were mentioned twice already:

Not a bad idea to reiterate it, and it’s something I stress (especially with the benefits of a proper fan on the back), but we did ignore the topic.

1 Like

I will fire up my 2nd lasko fan tomorrow and see how it goes

2 Likes

Dude… get on it!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

As you can tell I’m Close

I use microfiber towels made for drying cars. You want towels made for drying because the fiber blend really does make a difference in water absorption.

I alternate between the “gauntlet” The Gauntlet Microfiber Drying Towel | The Rag Company
and the “double twistress” The Double Twistress Microfiber Drying Towel | The Rag Company

Both are super soft and absorb a ton of sweat.

Side note about microfiber - don’t wash or dry on high heat. it will melt the fibers and ruin the towel. You want as low heat as possible. Also, don’t use fabric softener or dryer sheets. Both prevent water absorption in towel.

My detailing microfibers I use microfiber soap for and hang dry.

Todays set up

3 Likes

One suggestion is to use a stool, chair or boxes to lift the rear fan up closer to saddle height. Aim it at your waist and lower back so the flow then goes up your back to the neck.

1 Like

ALso some dryer sheets have fabric softener’s. I just stay away from the scented ones

2nd fan def helped, i also put a cooling towel around my neck.

Thanks for advice

1 Like