Tour de France Postponed

yeah would be a shame if they had to rename Alpe d’Huez into Col de Corona :laughing:

2 Likes

As much as I’d like to watch the tdf I think it’s mental to hold it this year and unfair/unhealthy pressure on the riders. Surely they should’ve copied Tokyo 2020 and put them off until 2021.

5 Likes

Another point of view would be that it would be mental to just fire all the riders and leave them out in the cold by canceling every event and subsequently saying goodbye to every dollar of event revenue.

Postponing keeps everyone interested (athletes, teams, sponsors, advertisers, countries and fans) and hopeful. Much better to defer in this case. The Olympics are every 4 years for the athletes so bumping it a year isn’t as impactful as nothing is actually lost, it is deferred. Cancelling the TdF for a year means everything is lost, which should of course be a last case consideration for all involved.

2 Likes

Cool. Not sure why everyone thinks it’s so important to keep the TdF running.

1 Like

Which part are you struggling to understand?

2 Likes

Okay this is getting a little confrontational, everyone’s welcome to their opinion but if you’re offended by mine then I don’t know what to say - it’s hardly unique.

Peace man.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think this was the final word.

After reading this the date would be good IF the world was back to normal which looks to be a bit of a long shot. Saying that though August/September looks like a busy few months for pros, the tour, world champs, giro and vuelta. Cramming thousands of people on mountains and stage finishes looks like the 2nd wave beginning…

2 Likes

Not sure who this is aimed towards. If me, I’m not offended by your opinion at all. I was only pointing out that there is another side to this that makes it a different event than the Olympics.

Cheers

2 Likes

If the planets align and the proposed schedule does actually somehow take place, it would be the most epic few months in racing in history. Three grand tours, five monuments, Euro champs, World champs, plus any other one day races they can squeeze in; all in the span of 2-3 months. It would be amazing for the fans. Plus CX at the same time.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_CskItFh-K/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

technically belongs in the meme thread, but too fitting to not put it here :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14 Likes

Confirmed accurate.

1 Like

Those “scientists”…always blowing things out of proportion. Don’t they know how important a bike race is?!?

2 Likes

What, you thinking packing a few hundred thousand people together for more than a day on an Alpine climb during a pandemic of a highly transmittable virus is a bad idea?

haters gonna hate, I guess.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

:pray:

2 Likes

I will repeat something I said at the start of this mess, this will be “The Summer that Wasn’t” because “normal” is not something we will see this year, in sports or otherwise. May well turn into “The Year…” with the way things are looking.

4 Likes

It it stops at “the year…” we’ll be lucky.

2 Likes

Some mayors and governors in the USA thinking of proactively saying “forget about big gatherings and sport events through end of 2020”.

I’d like to stay optimistic, but at some point, a hard reality check should take over and we focus on more important things than sport. Empathy toward riders and other sports people not withstanding.

It is fascinating the role sport and mass entertainment plays in human existence. For another day…

Personally, I hope we can get back to small group rides and get mountain bike trails open for fall. I’m an old guy with limited needs.

-Mark

1 Like

Sad, but all too likely. I am not expecting 2021 to be all happy-go-lucky either. But I generally refrain from pushing that far in general discussion, because there’s enough push-back from even saying this year is a loss. Locally, we have event organizers claiming that late June events are “still a GO”, which is blind and/or crazy.

1 Like

I feel like this incremental approach of constantly expecting normalcy right around the corner is mostly a coping mechanism. It feels devastating to admit that we’ll probably be stuck staying mostly home and afraid to go near other people for another 2 months, let alone another year. But any objective read of how the pandemic is likely to play out absent a vaccine would suggest normalcy is a long, LONG way out. It’s easier to deal with this by pretending things will be fine sooner than later, even knowing it’s probably not true.

5 Likes